ClubAdventist is back!

Footwashing Feelings

Woody

What IS footwashing? What I am after is what do you experience when you wash anothers' feet. What feelings do you experience?

Did the disciples feel comfortable washing each other's feet? DO YOU? Should they have? Should YOU?

If you don't feel comfortable .... what ARE your feelings?

Theologian Hyveth Williams says the ordinance of humility has never caused her to feel humility. (That humility has evaded her during this ordinance of the church.)

What do YOU think? Is footwashing:

Historical or Traditional?

An experience of humility?

Revival?

Renewal?

Rite and Rote?

Relevant?

A Rebirth?

Enjoyable?

Drudgery?

Natural?

Un-Natural?

A selfless act of Service?

Symbolic?

An act of Repentance?

Other ...

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

To me, it is just that- a humbling experience. Just as the disciples shirked at taking on the task of a servant, I view this rite as one that I would just as soon skip but I do (and enjoy it) because of the lesson it reminds me of.

Babies' feet are nice and perfect, but as they go through the years they become calloused and deformed. They are workhorses. To touch another's feet is not quite like cleaning up soiled undies but almost.

My natural self wants others to cater to me. But this ceremony tells me that God's way is to serve, to give. I NEED that more than I like to admit!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

When Jesus did it, it was self-abasement for Him. But as He cleaned the dirt from their feet, He transferred the dirt to the garment that He was wearing, symbolizing the taking away of sin from us and transferring them to Himself. He knew that He was the Passover Lamb.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Interesting question Woody. I also wondered about that. I have asked about the service of humility, and why we have it 4 times a year? Why not just once and at the Passover time? I also remember talking about rebaptism, was told that that is what the service of Humility is for, to recommit to our baptismal vow.

I also thought that we've had this discussion here before?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

I think of it as:

An experience of humility

Relevant-- keeping us aware of service to others

A selfless act of Service

Symbolic-- of our need of cleansing

Re-commitment to Christ

Re-commitment to fellow-believers

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

"I have participated in the Communion service in a Baptist church. I have asked why the foot-washing was not part of it. The answer I got was - "it's not convenient."

Why do we do the other part, i.e. the bread & the wine? Have they become:

"Historical or Traditional?

Revival?

Renewal?

Rite and Rote?

Relevant?

A Rebirth?

Enjoyable?

Drudgery?

Natural?

Un-Natural?

A selfless act of Service?

Symbolic?

An act of Repentance?"

Or: ESV | Jn 13:14 "If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. 16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them."

Quote:
I also thought that we've had this discussion here before?

Hey pk. I can Amen that. With the amount of time I've been on CA ... nothing is really new. I think most all topics have been covered. Ha Ha !!! Nothing new under the sun. I've seen it all. But for the newbies it doesn't hurt to repeat. And that way each of us can have the opportunity to indocrinate the newbies. :) lol

I believe in Hematology.

I think of it as:

An experience of humility

Relevant-- keeping us aware of service to others

A selfless act of Service

Symbolic-- of our need of cleansing

Re-commitment to Christ

Re-commitment to fellow-believers

I like that John. I guess the start of the new year brings good things. I can actually agree with you.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Yes, excellent. I think I can guarantee that this will not be the only time we agree.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Symbolic or Literal Gerry?

I think we ought to give others the benefit of the doubt for interpretating scripture.

I believe in Hematology.