ClubAdventist is back!

Where does the Light Go when We Switch it off?

John317

• Moderators

On the Original Thoughts Forum, "Nuff sed" asked this question. It is a good one and very apropos.

Where does the 'dark' go when you turn on the light? Where does the 'light' go when you turn it off???

(I am replying here because I have been permenantly banned from Original Thoughts Forum and therefore cannot take part in those discussions.)

The light going off is a very good example of the spirit in man returning to God who gave it. Where does it go? The simple answer is that it does not go anywhere. The light only exists when the electricity is in contact with the bulb. Once that connection is broken, the light ceases to exist.

Similarly the consciousness, or the personality, of the individual does not go anywhere when a person dies. The consciousness simply ceases to exist. It only exists when the body and the breath are together, in the same way that light only exists when the electricity (the breath of life) and the bulb (the human body) are together. That breath of life returns to God who gave it, but that breath has no conciousness on its own.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

What specifically then is it that "goes back to God?" What is it that you are telling us on this point?

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Moderators

The breath of life which God gives us goes back to Him who gave it. Our life is in His hands. When Jesus died, He prayed, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." He had faith in God that He would accept His sacrifice and raise Him from the grave. Experientially, from a human point of view Christ could not see through the portal of the tomb, but Christ knew from the promises in the Bible that God said He would resurrect Him, and that is what Christ was clinging to.

So, then, what I am telling you is that what goes back to God is not a conscious entity. The conscious entity only exists when the breath of life is connected to the body. When it is disconnected, the consciousness (or the person) ceases to exist, and the breath of life returns to God, who will restore it one day, either in the resurrection of the righteous or in the resurrection of the wicked. In between the first death (or sleep) and the first and second resurrections, the individual ceases to exist and the person's body lies unconscious in the grave, just as Lazarus did.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

On the Original Thoughts Forum, "Nuff sed" asked this question. It is a good one and very apropos.

Originally Posted By: Nuff sed
Where does the 'dark' go when you turn on the light? Where does the 'light' go when you turn it off???

(I am replying here because I have been permenantly banned from Original Thoughts Forum and therefore cannot take part in those discussions.)

I guess I'm in good company.Now my self esteem is restored.

LOL, do you see the light Doug?

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• 4 weeks later...

When the light comes on, dark goes the same place time goes when it passes, doesn't it? Einsteins illustrations about optical and auditory depth perception didn't really apply well to time, since time isn't a substance, it's a sequence of events. Jesus died for Adam and Eve's sin, precisely because backing time up would have reduced reality to simply a movie. There's no rewind on time. But the good news is that grace is greater than all our sin and sorrow, stronger than all catastrophe, and able to bring a light on that is sweeter than sunlight and stronger than death!

more later

Welcome to the forum, pretty one.

Who are you talking to? Pretty one?

I hope there is an error and you are not actually talking to John317.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Yes, that is an error, because I know he's talking to Whatisthis. I second Gerry's welcome to you, pretty one. I hope you come often to the Forum, meet friends, and have a great time.

The light going off is a very good example of the spirit in man returning to God who gave it.

Similarly the consciousness, or the personality, of the individual does not go anywhere when a person dies. The consciousness simply ceases to exist.

Spirit, I believe, is the force used by God to transmit thought and/or manipulate matter. It was Spirit that God used to create life so long ago.

For example, Jesus used Spirit to read other's thoughts, and he also used Spirit during healing and the multiplication of bread and dried fish. We are all continually connected to God via Spirit. Each of us has a Messenger whose job is to record, via Spirit, our thoughts and actions for future judgment.

Spirit, then, is a telepathic and telekinetic force. When our bodies die, there is no more input, and our life-records are closed until Judgment Day.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451

Sorry, didn't mean to be ignoring anyone, and thanx, that was a pretty day and I felt pretty when that pic was taken, no use showing a pic when I didn't feel/look so pretty!

more later

• Moderators

I was beginning to think that maybe I embarrassed you. Hope you are enjoying the camaraderie in the forum.