ClubAdventist is back!

TwoThirds of Wisconsin Public-School 8th Graders Can’t Read Proficient

bonnie

Reality check time......

There are always 'word of mouth' stories, I know someone who...my buddy did this...etc,etc. I have been in the Health Care field since '78, my wife since '80 and we are involved in money matters on a daily basis. I also have a son-n-law whose brother is an accuary for a large-large health care organization. My information comes from those long years of experience and association with the insurance people in the organization that I work for.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Sounds to me like some folks are just a tad jealous of the teachers in Wisconsin. Shame, shame, shame. Remember the Commandment. Thou Shalt Not Covet.

Am I jealous of those that pull what these teachers are pulling. Am I jealous they are taking part in lying with phoney medical excuses? No,never have had the slightest jealousy over those that lie. Obviously that is something that seems to appeal to you

A good teacher earns their salary.They do not earn the right to the taxpayer paying those type of pensions and the other benefits.They do not have the right to say,Not coming to work till you do as I say "taxpayer"

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

I wonder if two-thirds of Wisconsin 8th-graders can have civil discussions.

I don't think so.The students interviewed didn't have any idea why they were protesting.

They would not have any educated knowledge of any discussion they would try to have on this

Originally Posted By: bonnie
Those were some mighty tough years in the housing industry.

Were??

I know it is tough now but at least interest is not at 21%,plus my husband is retired.He no longer has to hustle for the jobs

Those school teachers don't have to hussle for jobs either. I hear some of them are making more than $100K. That's pretty good.

It also shows exactly who those are that are out protesting.Grasping and greedy to the point that they can lie with phoney medical excuses. They can't teach the children to read but they want to be rewarded for poor and dishonest performance.

My husband went about his business in a honest manner so there is no comparison except in the mind of someone that agrees and admires the dishonest and irresponsible tactics of the politicians and protesting teachers

• Moderators

The evidence has clearly been shown: Wisconsin students read at rates higher than the national average.

The truth is important.

Truth is important

The evidence has clearly been shown: Wisconsin students read at rates higher than the national average.

The truth is important.

• Moderators

The headline is misleading. It's not that hard to understand: there are four points on the scale. 'Advanced' is the very top one, and 2% of Wisconsin students are at that level.

'Proficient' is the next highest, and 32% of Wisconsin students are at that level. The national average for all states is 30% at that level, so Wisconsin is above the national average. It's being singled out because of the union action, not because its scores are low.

'Basic' is the third category down, and still means kids can read. 44% of Wisconsin kids are in this category, so on the category of kids who can read to an acceptable level there are a total of 78% of all kids in Wisconsin.

Only 22% are at the problematic 'Below basic' level. I would be willing to bet that this category is lower in Wisconsin than in many other states.

The truth is important.

Truth is important

• Members

The headline is misleading. It's not that had to understand: there are four points on the scale. 'Advanced' is the very top one, and 2% of Wisconsin students are at that level.

'Proficient' is the next highest, and 32% of Wisconsin students are at that level. The national average for all states is 30% at that level, so Wisconsin is above the national average. It's being singled out because of the union action, not because its scores are low.

'Basic' is the third category down, and still means kids can read. 44% of Wisconsin kids are in this category, so on the category of kids who can read to an acceptable level there are a total of 78% of all kids in Wisconsin.

Only 22% are at the problematic 'Below basic' level. I would be willing to bet that this category is lower in Wisconsin than in many other states.

The truth is important.

thumbsup finally a level head. :) Its almost like the HC issue. Somewhere I read here on one of these threads about how it wasn't working in Mass. Well I lived there for about 38 years and in the last few years there it was working pretty good. Now living in Florida, talk about one big mess, believe me this is HC at its worst. I wonder why?

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

It also shows exactly who those are that are out protesting.Grasping and greedy to the point that they can lie with phoney medical excuses.

I have to have some compassion on the poor souls. Many of them have probably been sucked in my credit card companies and are living on the edge.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Originally Posted By: bonnie

It also shows exactly who those are that are out protesting.Grasping and greedy to the point that they can lie with phoney medical excuses.

I have to have some compassion on the poor souls. Many of them have probably been sucked in my credit card companies and are living on the edge.

If you have compassion for deliberate stupidity that is your choice.With the more than reasonable salary they receive if they are that stupid,they are certainly to stupid to teach children

The truth is important.