ClubAdventist is back!

When someone says they will pray for you ...

Woody

R U Comforted by this?

If so what does it do for U?

ANd what do you believe will happen because they are praying for U ?

Who does it help more ... them or U ?

Okay ... does this statement (I'm praying for you.) really just get people 'off the hook' so to speak? Instead of DOING something for you ... they say they will pray about it.

Would not a 'real' Christian friend ... DO something rather than just passing the responsibility off to GOD.

Recently the entire church came over to me and prayed for me while I was in church hurting. I was embarrassed. I wanted to hide. It seemed to me they just wanted to feel they were doing something for me. My condition is well beyond prayer. Over 20 years ago I prayed for change. God has answered my prayer with what He sees fit to do. Why would I pray for Him to change His mind? So, no ... I don't appreciate the prayers directed towards me. I see it as a cop out. If you want to help me ... fine do so ... but don't pass it on to God.

Okay ... I feel better now that I've vented.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Thanks Shane. I do appreciate your serious responses.

It has helped subdue my ranting.

I believe in Hematology.

Voicing your pain and questions is not ranting but good therapy!!

It IS that. Thanks CoA. The couch is comfortable here.

I believe in Hematology.

Would not a 'real' Christian friend ... DO something rather than just passing the responsibility off to GOD.

What if it's something not in their power to do?

k3ur8n.gif

• Moderators

R U Comforted by this?

Who does it help more ... them or U ?

Okay ... does this statement (I'm praying for you.) really just get people 'off the hook' so to speak? Instead of DOING something for you ... they say they will pray about it.

Recently the entire church came over to me and prayed for me while I was in church hurting. I was embarrassed. I wanted to hide. It seemed to me they just wanted to feel they were doing something for me. My condition is well beyond prayer. Over 20 years ago I prayed for change. God has answered my prayer with what He sees fit to do. Why would I pray for Him to change His mind? So, no ... I don't appreciate the prayers directed towards me. I see it as a cop out. If you want to help me ... fine do so ... but don't pass it on to God.

Okay ... I feel better now that I've vented.

I think I understand your point. If I am hungry, don't pray for me - give me food! If I'm chair-bound, don't pray for me for strength to cut my lawn - come and mow it! But what did they pray for you? If for healing, then I might agree with you that perhaps after 20 years, perhaps it is not God's will to heal you in this life. But if they prayed for you that you might have grace to sustain you, then it is entirely appropriate, IMHO.

I think I understand your point. If I am hungry, don't pray for me - give me food! If I'm chair-bound, don't pray for me for strength to cut my lawn - come and mow it! But what did they pray for you? If for healing, then I might agree with you that perhaps after 20 years, perhaps it is not God's will to heal you in this life. But if they prayed for you that you might have grace to sustain you, then it is entirely appropriate, IMHO.

Excellent Gerry. Thank you

post-2281-140967447729_thumb.gif

I believe in Hematology.

When there is nothing else I can do for someone, I pray. And if someone says they are praying for me, I do appreciate it. Sometimes that's better than for them to try to do something for me when they're only guessing what I may need or want, as they may be quite mistaken.

Recently, I talked with a young woman with serious self-worth issues. She does not believe that anyone really cares about her, or possibly could, because she is a bad person (in her estimation). I could not persuade her that she is no worse than anyone else, that she doesn't know how bad other people are inside because she doesn't know the things they don't reveal or act upon. It was all to no avail. Finally, I told her I would pray for her and keep praying for her. I thought even though she is a non-believer, this would at least finally give her the message that I do care, but no. Her response was, "if it gives you comfort, go ahead."

Well, I will indeed be praying for her, because there is nothing else I can do. She lives in Washington state, and I live in Michigan. And even if I could afford to drive way over there, I don't even know her real name or her email address, only her screen name in the online group to which we both belong.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

lovesign

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Today a thought came to me. There was a prayer request and I privately asked a question and received a reply.

I told the person that I would not only pray but add her love request to my prayer journal.

Love request? Where did that come from?

But thinking about it, I guess you could say that some people go through the motions. But others will do it because they love you and want to lift you up before our compassionate Lord.

I guess it's like a gift where the thought really counts. But more than that, it's bringing you before our God, He who hung the worlds in space, who is not daunted by miles or situations.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

R U Comforted by this?

First I make effort to determine what their prayer for me involves. Then if it is something I am either willing to pray for myself or am already praying for, I encourage them to claim God's promise to us and accept that He will, in His good time and the way He sees as best, fulfill that promise without doubt.

"“I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you."Matthew 18:19 NLT

"Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."Matthew 17:19-21 KJV

This is not to put the onus on anyone that it is their lack of faith that limits God's ability. However in the case of the disciples, their ability to have authority over the demons was a direct result of unbelief.

God gives different answers to individual's prayers. Sometimes it's, 'Yes, now'. Sometimes it's, 'Yes, later.', and sometimes it can be, 'Are you sure this is the responsibility you want in this world?'

There is one very good reason why the prayers of many people is so worthwhile. The more people that are praying, the greater the chances are that at least one of the group has the faith of a grain of mustard seed.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

If someone says they're going to pray for me, my attitude is always one of gratitude because I let God take care of the motive for their prayer and just consider myself blessed that someone will bring my name before God. We can certainly use all the prayer that we can get. And God is an expert at turning even curses into blessings.

It is like Paul said, Whatever the motive they have for preaching Christ is fine with me as long as Christ is preached.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Last week we had a guest staying with us for a few days...someone

I had not met previously - on his last morning with us, as I was

about to leave the breakfast table, to head off to work, he prayed

for both Sammy and I. I appreciated the prayer -part of which was

for God's help in my work - and left thinking it would be just another routine day.

It turned out to be far from routine....I think that prayer was

answered in a special way that day...

So yes, in that and some other major issues my family has faced over the last couple of years, I have appreciated everyone who

has offered to pray.

I think it was EGW who described prayer as the opening of the heart to God as a friend....if we can share our friends' concerns with our best Friend, it has to be good.

Having said that, I am wary of the approach that says that if what we asked for was not granted, it was because we had not prayed "hard enough" whatever that may mean.

• Members

Doesn't Jesus ask us to pray for each other?

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Perhaps pk. But for what reason?

And what good does this do for the person prayed for?

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Perhaps pk. But for what reason?

And what good does this do for the person prayed for?

Why do you say perhaps? I'm asking again doesn't Jesus say or tells that we should pray for each other?

As for the reason why pray for each other, I like to think that as people pray for one another, this keeps the HS working on your heart.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Members

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Doesn't Jesus ask us to pray for each other?

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much."James 5:16 NKJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

So good to see you online, Rudy.

Keep the faith!

God blesses! He loves you wherever you are. peace

" For God has said,

“I will never fail you.

I will never abandon you.”

So we can say with confidence,

“The Lord is my helper,

so I will have no fear.

What can mere people do to me?” "Hebrews 13:5,6 NLT

Lift Jesus up!!

Hey Rudywoofs. Two dots are a start. Appreciate seeing whatever we can of you.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

I, too, appreciate prayers on my behalf! Who wouldn't? :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: rudywoofs

Hey Rudywoofs. Two dots are a start. Appreciate seeing whatever we can of you.

Amen! :)

Quote:

Gail

Yes. But 'praying' we'll see more.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Quote:

Gail

Yes. But 'praying' we'll see more.

thumbsup That's the spirit!