ClubAdventist is back!

WHAT KIND OF PERSON?

Stan

SO... what kind of person looked at lard, tallow and grease and thought... I bet I can make soap out of that? Where did idea come from?

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/history.htm

The Origin Of Soap

& Soapmaking

Although no one really knows who or when soap was discovered, there are various legends surrounding it’s beginning. According to Roman legend, soap was named after Mount Sapo, an ancient site of animal sacrifices. After an animal sacrifice, rain would wash the animal fat and ash that collected under the ceremonial altars down the slopes to the banks of the Tiber River. Women washing clothes in the river noticed that if they washed their clothes in certain parts of the river after a heavy rain their clothes were much cleaner. Thus the emergence of the first soap – or at least the first use of soap.

A soap-like material found in clay cylinders during the excavation of ancient Babylon is evidence that soapmaking was known as early as 2800 B.C. Inscriptions on the cylinders say that fats were boiled with ashes, a soap-making method.

Moses gave the Israelites detailed laws governing personal cleanliness. Biblical accounts suggest that the Israelites knew that mixing ashes and oil produced a kind of hair gel. Soap is mentioned twice in the Bible, but it is generally agreed that the Hebrew word “borith”, which has been translated as soap, is a generic term for any cleansing agent.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

Thanks, LifeHisCost! I was thinking something along those lines, like someone picking up some lard to treat an accidental lye burn and having it turn to soap.

Thanks for the historical info! I learned something today!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

My grandmother used to make soap from things she had at home: lard, ashes, lye. She used it for whatever one would use a cleanser for today--laundry, hands, dishes, etc.

I know that she used three ingredients, but I don't know what the third one was.

• Administrators

My grandmother used to make soap from things she had at home: lard, ashes, lye. She used it for whatever one would use a cleanser for today--laundry, hands, dishes, etc.

I know that she used three ingredients, but I don't know what the third one was.

I wonder if it was something to make it smell better...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.