ClubAdventist is back!

The "proper" way to PRAY...???

tribeofjudah

A friend of mine was saying a prayer in a half hearted (I thought) and non-serious manner. I kind of scolded him and he replied that we can "come as we are" to God. I said that we should seek the Lord with humble reverence. Yes, there is a time to pray with rejoicing and happiness....there are times when we pray with tears and pain, asking the Lord or assistance.

Some thoughts on prayer:

1. give thanks in reverance

2. take God seriously

3. mood and feeling should be according to need and occasion

In other words, be proper when speaking to God....humble and contrite when needed, and joy and happiness when moved by the Spirit....like after passing a difficult exam at school or physical healing...etc.

Please give me your feedback:

1. was I too harsh on my friend?

2. Can we pray with humor and jokingly (I'm sure God has a sense of humor)

3. He said my prayers were kinda the same "cookie cutter" type...he has heard me several times blessing food, etc.

4. He admits that he doesn't really "know how to pray"

Give me Bible examples. Give me a way to show him how to pray according to the Bible. He knows about redundant, repeating, chanting prayer and how that is NOT the proper way to pray.

Am I making a big deal out of this? Do people just come to God in prayer the way they know how? Can we pray just however we feel comfortable and God will accept and understand???

I believe I know how to pray and speak with God...but then, I shouldn't expect everyone to pray the same way as I do.

But if the Bible is clear on how we should pray, then I'd like to show him those verses.

• Members

See Matthew 6:9-15. I do agree we shouldn't be lacsedasical(sp) when we pray, but at the same time we shouldn't be to judgmental either. And yes we are all at different places in our walk with the Lord. And we should not be afraid to say something either if we feel like someone needs it, but in a loving way.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Yup, I quoted that one to him and he said the Catholics repeat that all the time. He thinks it's redundant...yet it IS Biblical.