ClubAdventist is back!

What is your church doing for Easter?

Woody

This Sabbath my church is doing the following:

"An Easter Scavenger hunt, sponsored by the ______ Seventh-day Adventist Church, will be held at _____ Park on Saturday at 3 pm. The event will include games, crafts and a search for prizes. Children will receive snacks and treats. Coffee and doughnuts will be provided for the parents."

Sounds like it will be fun. Come one come all. But what are U doing in honor of Easter?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woody

• FLO

• Procopius

• CoAspen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That does sound like fun!! I haven't heard if our church is doing anything or not, in years past though they didn't do anything.

Starting on Sunday though, we get out our Resurrection Eggs and work on them all week. We watch the Ten Commandments, Matthew and The Miracle Maker. Now that my kids are older, I'm not sure if they will want to do this or not. We might be making some new traditions this year, just depends on what they want to do.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

But what are U doing in honor of Easter?

I generally try to avoid honouring pagan goddesses of fertility and their festivals. Jesus died on Passover and resurrected on the wave sheaf day. Nowhere in the bible does anyone celebrate Easter (besides pagans of course), Jesus, his disciples, and his followers all observed the Passover. Even the early Christians observed the Passover following the biblical calendar. It wasn't until the Council of Nicaea in 325AD, that the Roman Emperor Constantine decided to change Passover from the 14th day of the first Jewish month (which could fall on any day of the week) to it being always on a Sunday (which happens to be the day they worshipped the sun god).

“The commemoration of the most sacred paschal feast being then debated, it was unanimously decided, that it would be well that it should be everywhere celebrated upon the same day... It was, in the first place, declared improper to follow the custom of the Jews in the celebration of this holy festival, because, their hands having been stained with crime, the minds of these wretched men are necessarily blinded. By rejecting their custom, we establish and hand down to succeeding ages one which is more reasonable... Let us, then, have nothing in common with the Jews, who are our adversaries. For we have received from our Saviour another way” (Theodoret of Cyrus. Ecclesiastical History (Book I), Chapter IX. Excerpted from Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Second Series, Volume 3. Edited by Philip Schaff and Henry Wace. American Edition, 1892.)

This is only 4 years after his famous Sunday Law.

"On the venerable day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed" (Codex Justinianus lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3, p. 380, note 1).

So yeah, if we are so eager to tell the world to worship on the Sabbath (the real day of worship) as opposed to Sunday (the pagan day of worship). Why aren't we doing the same with Passover (the real day we should be remembering) as opposed to Easter (just another pagan day of worship named after a pagan goddess no less).

We really need to get our act together....

(for more info, visit www.EasterTruth.info)

blowing

To each their own!

We enjoy the day as a celebration of Christ resurrection.

This year:Saturday, April 23, 10:45 a.m. Our worship service includes musical performances along with Pastor Peter’s message of the significance of Jesus’ resurrection.

To each their own!

That's right! You can worship whomever you choose. Unfortunately, following white washed, candy coated, pope sanctified, pagan sun god worship rituals isn't exactly worshipping the true God. But don't take my word for it, let's see what God Himself thinks about it.

"Take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, 'How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.' You shall not worship the LORD your God in that way" (Deuteronomy 12:30-31 NKJV)

"Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain" (Jeremiah 10:2-3 KJV)

In Joshua's famous words...

“choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Joshua 24:15 NKJV)

We should also serve the True God. Let the pagans worship their useless gods. If we have the truth, we might as well follow it.

Praise God Flo that you are not worshipping pagans.

But I am sure you would not want to prevent Christans from worshipping Christ ... or would you?

I for one value religious liberty. That is one big reason why I live in the United States rather than Iran.

In Iran I doubt they would even let you worship them pagans that you refer to.

I believe in Hematology.

Praise God Flo that you are not worshipping pagans.

But I am sure you would not want to prevent Christans from worshipping Christ ... or would you?

Well... I'm not preventing anyone from doing anything. We do live in a free country. You can do whatever you want and worship whoever you want.

If I decided to set up a huge statue of Jesus in my living room and worship Him that way. There's really nothing you could do about it. Like you said, we live in a free country. I can worship however I want. However, if I told people that this is acceptable worship, (you know... To each their own!) Would there be a problem with that? Absolutely!

First of all, God does not want to be worshipped that way. Neither does He want us celebrating the greatest sacrifice known to man (Jesus' death), on the day that Pagans used to sacrifice their infant children to their pagan gods for the sake of fertility and prosperity. Absolutely, the worst day to pick EVER!!!

Secondly, I might sincerely want to worship God, but I am just unaware that this form of worship is unacceptable to God. So, it's our job to educate people about the proper ways to worship. We have no problem with pointing out the fact that Sabbath was changed to Sunday. So, we must educate ourselves about the Passover/Easter change as well. Instead of just going along with the erroneous traditions that have been passed down to us from previous generations.

Celebrating Easter is not worshipping the true God or bringing Glory to Jesus or the Father, whether you have good intentions or not. The event you are trying to commemorate (Jesus' sacrifice for us) took place at a totally different time (i.e. on Passover). Sometime Easter and Passover are an entire month apart. So then why do we choose to celebrate on the date when the Pagans have their spring fertility festival (Easter) where they used to dye the eggs of Easter in the blood of infants that they just sacrificed to their gods (don't believe me, do some research)? Rather, why don't we celebrate on the actual date of the event (Passover), just like Jesus and his disciples did? Shouldn't He be our example in all things? Jesus never celebrated Easter and neither did any of the apostles. He celebrated the Passover. Jesus even said...

“With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” (Luke 22:14-20 NKJV)

The apostle Paul also indicated that we should still be keeping Passover:

"Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."

(1 Corinthians 5:7-8 KJV)

Nowhere does it ever say to celebrate Easter. Just to think that we refer to the most Holy Event in earth's history (Jesus' sacrifice) by the name of a pagan goddess is, in itself, an abomination.

"Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips." (Exodus 23:13)

Worshipping Christ should not involve breaking several commandments given by God Almighty. Just something to think about....

Woody, is this a real SDA church you're talking about here?

Games & crafts during the sacred hours of Sabbath???

Snacks and treats for the children?? So they can eat between meals??

Coffee and doughnuts for the parents?? Caffeine type coffee??

"Sounds like it will be fun. Come one come all. But what are U doing in honor of Easter?"

In honour of Eostre, Ashteroth, Astarte, Ishtar?? And you have the gall and presumption to give your location as 'A citizen of heaven." When has pagan worship EVER been fun, in the long run, for God's people?

God gave us religious liberty, sure, but if we don't follow His instructions, we shouldn't whinge when He says, "I know you not."

You should be ashamed of your snide little comment to Flo about preventing the worship of Christ. It showed a very UN-Christlike attitude. We'll just have to see who perseveres through the shaking time, won't we, someone like Flo who follows the Bible, and you, who like to follow the world. Before you have a go at me about MY attitude, brother, I don't know if I'll be in heaven, but I do know how to get there.

Quote:
First of all, God does not want to be worshipped that way. Neither does He want us celebrating the greatest sacrifice known to man (Jesus' death), on the day that Pagans used to sacrifice their infant children to their pagan gods for the sake of fertility and prosperity. Absolutely, the worst day to pick EVER!!!

Since God has not instructed us on which day to do it ... I can't see that it matters to Him. I have to believe he just smiles and is pleased to be honored and worshipped on ANY day. And I think he is especially honored to smile that we have done it on a pagan holiday. It's kinda like spitting in them pagans faces. HA HA. lol

No. Honestly - I think turning a pagan day into a Christian day ... is a most honorable thing to do.

I believe in Hematology.

Procopius. Dear procopius.

I fear you have jumped the gun. For I never stated I agreed with all the activities at the church for Easter.

While I am well acquainted with the local pastor - I did not authorize the events. However, I do recognize that great minds can differ on this topic. And when in leadership ... you put jobs in the hands of people and let then be lead by God to the best of their abilities. At times you and I fail. At times our leaders fail. At times ... we just don't know for sure what is best.

But I think your ill-suited and quick judgment of me personally reflects those that think as you do. Being quick to judgment is not a good attribute. Being tolerant of the spiritual growth of others IS.

I believe in Hematology.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
Yes, you can worship God any day of the day. But going out of your way to make a big worship extravaganza one of the biggest pagan worship days of the year and at the same time ignoring the time He actually commanded us to remember Jesus' sacrifice (i.e. Passover). That seems a little fishy to me.

Obviously I don't see things the way you do. I think it's kinda cool. And I think God is smiling. I am not aware though that it's the biggest pagan day of the year. In fact in my half century on this blessed Earth ... I have not seen even 1 pagan worshipping on that day. Perhaps the pagans are quiet about it as the Christians have so taken over the day. I've never seen in the papers about pagans doing anything on the day. It's all about Christians. Oh well .... what does the press know. Right?

post-2281-140967448509_thumb.jpg

I believe in Hematology.

I am not aware though that it's the biggest pagan day of the year. In fact in my half century on this blessed Earth ... I have not seen even 1 pagan worshipping on that day. Perhaps the pagans are quiet about it as the Christians have so taken over the day. I've never seen in the papers about pagans doing anything on the day. It's all about Christians. Oh well .... what does the press know. Right?

Maybe you haven't been reading the paper much....

Eostre1b.jpg

Eostre2b.jpg

Wow. 3,000 of them. I am impressed. How does that compare to the number of Christians who might meet in just ONE church?

You are being blessed by the qualities of the internet to find such isolated trash. But it does not prove your point. I refuse to let some small number of isolated pagans rule over how I worship.

I read at least one or two papers each day and have since I was a boy. This is the first such encounter I've come across. But of course it's in a foreign country. eh :)

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

I used to take my wife to the Catholic Church on Easter to celebrate Mass. It is probably the biggest day for Catholics to go to Church. Some only go twice a year: Christmas and Easter Sunday. She no longer goes, and we really don't do anything special on Easter, because it is so closely tied to Catholicism and paganism.

Notice these quotes from the book, Great Controversy:

Quote:
Says Howard Crosby: “The church of God is today courting the world. Its members are trying to bring it

down to the level of the ungodly. The ball, the theater, nude and lewd art, social luxuries with all their loose moralities, are making inroads into the sacred inclosure of the church; and as a satisfaction for all this worldliness, Christians are making a great deal of Lent and Easter and church ornamentation. It is the old trick of Satan. The Jewish church struck on that rock; the Romish church was wrecked on the same; and the Protestant is fast reaching the same doom.” {GC88 386.3}

In this tide of worldliness and pleasure-seeking, self-denial and self-sacrifice for Christ's sake are almost wholly lost.

Quote:
What was the origin of the great apostasy? How did the church first depart from the simplicity of the gospel?—By conforming to the practices of paganism, to facilitate the acceptance of Christianity by the heathen. The apostle Paul declared, even in his day, “The mystery of iniquity doth already work.” [2 Thessalonians 2:7.] During the lives of the apostles the church remained comparatively pure. “But toward the latter end of the second century most of the churches assumed a new form, the first simplicity disappeared; and insensibly, as the old disciples retired to their graves, their

children, along with new converts . . . came forward and new-modeled the cause.” [ROBINSON, IN HISTORY OF BAPTISM.] To secure converts, the exalted standard of the Christian faith was lowered, and as the result “a pagan flood, flowing into the church, carried with it its customs, practices, and idols.” [GAVAZZI'S LECTURES, P. 290.] As the Christian religion secured the favor and support of secular rulers, it was nominally accepted by multitudes; but while in appearance Christians, many “remained in substance pagans, especially worshiping in secret their idols.” [GAVAZZI'S LECTURES, P. 290.] {GC88 384.5}

Has not the same process been repeated in nearly every church calling itself Protestant? As its founders, those who possessed the true spirit of reform, pass away, their descendants come forward and “new model the cause.” While blindly clinging to the creed of their fathers and refusing to accept any truth in advance of what they saw, the children of the reformers depart widely from their example of humility, self-denial, and renunciation of the world. Thus “the first simplicity disappears.” A worldly flood, flowing into the church, “carries with it its customs, practices, and idols.” {GC88 385.1}

Alas, to what a fearful extent is that friendship of the world which is “enmity with God,” now cherished among the professed followers of Christ! How widely have the popular churches throughout Christendom departed from the Bible standard of humility, self-denial, simplicity, and godliness!

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

In fact in my half century on this blessed Earth ...

Blessed earth?? In your 50 years here, exactly WHAT have you learned, Woody? This earth was cursed after the fall, I believe.

In my 53 years on this earth, I have seen many folks like you in our churches. So smug, so (self)righteous and pompous. Rushing to judgment? Maybe.

About the pagans worshipping on easter, have you not seen Catholics worshipping at Easter? Their worship is just pagan worship under the guise of Christianity. Open you eyes, man!

Procopius. Dear procopius.

I fear you have jumped the gun. For I never stated I agreed with all the activities at the church for Easter.

But said that they sound like fun.

While I am well acquainted with the local pastor - I did not authorize the events. However, I do recognize that great minds can differ on this topic. And when in leadership ... you put jobs in the hands of people and let then be lead by God to the best of their abilities. At times you and I fail. At times our leaders fail. At times ... we just don't know for sure what is best.

Yes, we do. Just follow the Bible and the SOP on this and you'll see that celebrating easter is just pagan worship. And, if our leaders fail, then they should not be leaders.

But I think your ill-suited and quick judgment of me personally reflects those that think as you do. Being quick to judgment is not a good attribute. Being tolerant of the spiritual growth of others IS.

But what you advocate as 'fun' is NOT spiritual GROWTH. Should we stay silent when the eternal lives of others are at peril? And as far as 'quick' judgment on you, well its been a while now, and my opinion is still the same. Why do you even bother to call yourself an SDA?

Woody,

How do you define a 'Christian?'

• Is it, and are you, defined by whether or not you yourself claim the label 'Christian' for your self?

• Is a true 'Christian' defined by a Scripturally defined set of characteristics? Say, for instance, walking the Way of life while having your minds eye ever trained upon such things as your chosen Lord and Savior thought, taught, and did... Whomever you may happen to have chosen for yourself as your Lord and Savior? Say for instance a heathen pastor and leader who claims for himself labels such as 'SDA' or 'Christian' while adamantly denying being a heathen...

Happy Seventh Day Sabbath!

(And by 'Seventh Day Sabbath' I do not mean that 'Seventh Day' which is so defined in the papal Gregorian calendar used in Europe currently, and which calendar since 1973 in Sweden is identically the same day as Sunday...)

Let's consider a real time example:

Say you have a rose that you name tulip... Does that make the rose a tulip or is the rose still just as much a rose as it was from the beginning? Do you go by the label you yourself have applied, or do you go by the real time characteristics of the thing?

:)

Thank you FLO for those excellent and most informative webpages of yours!

Perhaps you'll appreciate also these additional fine points of this matter?:

[My comments in red font]

Jesus died on Passover...

• If by the word 'Passover' you are giving heed to the common abuse of that word to the effect of its including the entire Feast of Unleavened Bread, yes, I agree. Yet, if by 'Passover' you mean Abib 14 only, which is the Scripture definition per Levititus 23, then no, I do not agree. The Scripture definition of Passover includes only the one day when the Passover lamb is being prepared before being killed, at sunset at the beginning of Abib 15, and then eaten during that first night of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, Abib 15... As did also Yeshua with his disciples on that night when the Last Supper was being eaten... Cf. also Deuteronomy 16:4 and more...

and resurrected on the wave sheaf day.

• If by 'resurrected' you mean that God began the process of returning to Yeshua his life during that sunset to sunset day, yes, even to the extent of making him, as Ellen White says, "a prisoner in His narrow tomb," yes, I agree with you. But, if your reference is to the opening of the tomb, then no, I cannot agree with you that either the original Hebrew, nor either the Aramaic or the Greek translations, support the contention that the tomb was opened prior to the beginning of the Third Day of the week [i.e. Monday night...] as so very many times both predicted by Yeshua himself and also confirmed after the fact by the New Testament writers. More...

Nowhere in the bible does anyone celebrate Easter (besides pagans of course)...

• Yes, I quite agree with you. Have you noticed that the name Esther means the same as Ishtar, that is, star? And have you noticed how that Venus' conjunction with the Sun seems to be the very focus of the seven day long Ishtar Feast, or Easter, that was celebrated by Ahasuerus, and which feast began on the 180th day of the Scripture year? More...

So yeah, if we are so eager to tell the world to worship on the Sabbath (the real day of worship) as opposed to Sunday (the pagan day of worship). Why aren't we doing the same with Passover (the real day we should be remembering) as opposed to Easter (just another pagan day of worship named after a pagan goddess no less).

We really need to get our act together....

• Thank you for that reminder! I truly agree! So far as I am concerned, Passover, Aviv 14, will begin after aviv has first been found at the higher altitudes near Jerusalem, that is, after the next New Moon, on the 14th day of that month... As it is, at the beginning of the present lunar month aviv was only found in the Jordan valley. Cf. Deuteronomy 12:4-5...

Shabbat Shalom,

Tree of Life ©

Quote:
But said that they sound like fun.

Do you consider fun on God's holy Sabbath to be 'good'?

Quote:
And, if our leaders fail, then they should not be leaders.

While I agree with you ... in the case of small churches ... if you do away with these leaders ... you will not have any leaders and God's needed and good work will fail also.

Quote:
But what you advocate as 'fun' is NOT spiritual GROWTH. Should we stay silent when the eternal lives of others are at peril? And as far as 'quick' judgment on you, well its been a while now, and my opinion is still the same. Why do you even bother to call yourself an SDA?

Again ... I don't consider fun to be appropriate all the time. Do you? And I don't consider it Christian to caste judgments as you have incorrectly done on me. I could ask you why y ou consider yourself a Christian when you do that. But I will resist.

As to why am I an SDA? It is because I agree with all the 28 Fundamentals. Do U ?

I believe in Hematology.

They're everywhere, they're everywhere!!!!!

By the way, this is an old issue, I don't let anyone decide How and When to worship God. The idea that I won't do something on a particular day because some 'pagan' culture observed that day also, puts them in charge of my life. Nope, ain't going to happen with me!!

Oh, and text splattering and quoting bits and pieces, out of their original meaning ,does little to impress me. Wait a minute...isn't that discussion going on somewhere else!!!!

Okay, let the righteous indignation continue!!!

scaredgiggle