ClubAdventist is back!

Where to give the sermon from?

Chris

I fill in for our pastor giving the sermon on a regular basis. and I don't like being tied to the pulpit or restricted to the platform SO, I generally speak from the floor of the church and walk while I speak. I have a church member that really gets upset because she believes I am "bringing the gospel down to a common level instead of elevating the word of God" by speaking from the floor and actually walking to where the people are sitting.

BTW, we are talking about a very small church with maybe 20 people attending on any given Sabbath.

My questions would be,

Is there any scriptural or spirit of prophesy references that says the speaker should be up on a platform and/or behind a pulpit? I've not been able to find one but I admit I'm not a Bible scholar nor am I an expert on Mrs White's writings.

Is going to where the people are and speaking to them bringing God's word down to a common place?

Thank you,

Chris

• Members

I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it says you have to have a pulpit. I think what your doing is great. Keep it up.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Thank you, I don't plan on changing unless I can find compelling evidence that says not to do it.

I forgot to add that the PowerPoints I use are a distraction, making folks lazy because they are not looking up the referenced text in their bibles and the screen is too big.

On the other hand some of our elderly folks, having trouble with their eyesight, have thanked those of us who are projecting the text on the screen because they can actually see it easily.

But if I find I'm doing something that is not biblical or in conflict with the SOP I'll stop.

Thanks for the response.

Chris

Hi Chris, The predominant criteria for a preacher is to be a humble Bible scholar (serious student).

All other details fall into place if we seek first the kingdom of God.

• Moderators

Jesus taught among the people. Sometimes the crowed was so large that he would go into a boat where the shape of the sea of Galiee in some areas allowed acustics where he could speak in a normal voice and thousands hear him. He would use illustrations from around him, Power point is a way of brining those illustrations into the building.

Maybe you can suggest the seating arrangements from Jesus' day: The Rabbi sit in a chair, people who have been ordained sit at his feet and everyone else stand, and in some schools of the pharicees the women had to be overlistening while on the outside preparing for something to eat.

• Moderators

P.S. For some sermon preperation material may I suggest that you check out Methodist Archaeologist Jim Fleming's website "Biblical Resources" Just google "Jim Fleming Biblical Resources" you will learn much about the ancient world, especially around the Gospels and early church. And also there is a wonderful series on prayer.

While it is impossible to keep all the people happy all the time, it is important to be sensitive to requests and members feelings on an issue. Hopefull you can find a balance in all this.

• Administrators

Interestingly, when God designed the wilderness sanctuary, He purposely had the priests work within in sanctuary itself on a dirt (desert sand) floor. The reason for this was that it illustrated complete condescendence, a reaching down and dwelling with man as close as God could be, in Jesus Christ. As man was formed of the earth, so the priests were to show "God with us" in the lesson book of the santuary.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

Thank you, I don't plan on changing unless I can find compelling evidence that says not to do it.

I forgot to add that the PowerPoints I use are a distraction, making folks lazy because they are not looking up the referenced text in their bibles and the screen is too big.

On the other hand some of our elderly folks, having trouble with their eyesight, have thanked those of us who are projecting the text on the screen because they can actually see it easily.

But if I find I'm doing something that is not biblical or in conflict with the SOP I'll stop.

Thanks for the response.

Chris

Up in Mass, where I just moved from, I attended the College Church at AUC. The Pastor, Don Pate, also does most of his sermons with PowerPoint. He actually was doing two services and wanted to do another one in the afternoon for the College students. At this point I don't know if he had added that service. I used to go to the early worship service, I really enjoyed the way he presented the program. I really miss that. There was no piano, organ, we sang accapela(sp) and the service was a powerpoint presentation. LOL but obviously back in the Bible times PP was not available. :) I bet most of them would've appreicated that. :) Keep the Faith, God loves you no matter what others might think or say.

phkrause

• Administrators

The pulpit is largely a matter of tradition of Catholic and Orthodox origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulpit

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Moderators

I say 'wherever works for the purposes you have'. If you want to expound from a position of authority, a pulpit is handy. If you want to connect with the congregation, getting down closer to their level workds (with maybe a slight elevation so those at the back can see if they floor isn't raked).

Have to admit I'd tend to go further and say there's really nothing inevitable about a sermon: one person speaking while many listen. I've done a number of other experimental things, including two people in dialogue up the front and a more Donohue-like approach where I took a roving mic into the congregation, or had them discuss in small groups.

It's about what serves the purposes of teaching and worship, not about particular traditional forms.

Truth is important

Thank you all very much for your comments and ideas. I truly appreciate everything you've said. I'll check out the websites you've recommended.

• Moderators

Is there any scriptural or spirit of prophesy references that says the speaker should be up on a platform and/or behind a pulpit? I've not been able to find one but I admit I'm not a Bible scholar nor am I an expert on Mrs White's writings.

Is going to where the people are and speaking to them bringing God's word down to a common place?

I think what you say and how you treat the Bible during the sermon is far more important than where you are standing while you preach. Ellen White has a lot to say about a preacher's manners and dress while he preaches, but she says nothing so far as I know about the importance of being behind a pulpit. The most important thing is that the people can see by a minister's manners and dress that he understands his sacred calling and honors the truth.

See 2 T 609-619.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Thank you all very much for your comments and ideas. I truly appreciate everything you've said. I'll check out the websites you've recommended.

I once sat down in a chair to preach a sermon; because there is a Bible verse which tells of Jesus doing that.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Moderators

In my early days I was firmly rooted behind the pulpit. That was a result of nerves and inexperience. I'm now a wanderer and a gesticulator. I realize that sometimes the subject matter influences where I stand and how much movement there is. If it's a difficult, sensitive topic I may rely more on my notes and therefore walk around less. If it is a gospel narrative I may hardly be at the pulpit. Again with PowerPoint it may depend on the topic.

People who want to make a rule about it are being held captive by tradition. There is no scripture that prescribes how a preacher should orientate himself physically as he is preaching. Obviously, there is much about the spirituality of the messenger.

Ellen White has a number of things to say about pulpit decorum. You can search her writings at http://www.whiteestate.org/

Like others have said it's about communicating truth with passion and relevance. You can do that behind the pulpit, walking around or sitting down. I guarantee that if you only stood behind the pulpit someone would say, "you need to move around a little more".

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

Quote:
I'm now wanderer and gesticulator.

Does that mean you eat while you preach?

giggle

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

No. It means sometimes he preaches "black" and sometimes he preaches "white."

And I can trust"

• Moderators

Never heard of preaching white, what is that?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Quote:
I'm now wanderer and gesticulator.

Does that mean you eat while you preach?

giggle

Preating.... hmmm must try that

Einstein

Originally Posted By: Overaged

Never heard of preaching white, what is that?

I am not intending any racism by this - but in one church I belonged to we had about half blacks and half whites. We noticed that black preachers had a distinctive style of preaching, compared to the white preachers. White preachers tended to not move around too much; while some black preachers that I recall almost danced while they preached, and they always had the booming voice to go with it. I believe it is some sort of cultural difference; nothing wrong with it, but sometimes, I recall certain white preachers announcing during their sermon, (for a part they wanted to emphasize more) that "Now I am going to preach black." It was always done respectfully, and not in any abusive ways.

And I can trust"

• Administrators

You mean, preaching with passion?

Yes. And I might add that the congregation always loved it when a white preacher preached black.

And I can trust"

• Members

thumbsup

phkrause