ClubAdventist is back!

Video games wrong?

Jonnothin

Since I'm not sure where else to post this I'm going to post it here.

This is a question I've been struggling with for quite some time. I have one friend who thinks that it is bad because it wastes time and a lot of video games have very bad things in them, but I have another friend who plays most games and he doesn't seem to think that they are bad.

Is there a right answer to this question? I'm not really sure what to think. Any thoughts?

• Moderators

Content over medium would be my answer: the whole medium of games, like music or anything else, isn't good or bad as a whole. Individual games are very good, very bad or kind of inbetween... Pick the good ones!

Truth is important

• Administrators

Keep asking the great questions! :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

I'm in agreement with Bravus, Jonnothin. I do believe that there are probably more bad than good video games out there.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I can agree too. It does have a lot to do with content, but I would like to get a little more specific because some people I know would argue that it's just a game and that they aren't actually committing the act. So what makes the game bad? Let's say it is violent. Does any act of violence make it bad? or is it how the violence occurred or was portrayed?

• Members

Well just look what happen at Columbine! This is just one example there are others. It can be other things as well, some can play these games and not allow Satan to infiltrate there minds, but than you have those that can't fight against him. We never know who can resist and who can not.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

Whatsoever things...

But on the other hand, suggesting Columbine was caused solely by gaming rather than by a complex of factors is oversimple.

Truth is important

Okay, I can see what you guys are saying about Columbine, and we don't know that video games did that all by themselves. Though I'm not really that familiar with Columbine, I do remember hearing bits and pieces.

So how do you determine a game's content to be unfit for playing?

@pkrause So are you saying that all violence in a game's content makes it something that we should not play?

I think Bravus has a good point about "Whatsoever things..."

Are you familiar with that instruction?

Phillipians 4:4-9 (NASB)

4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

I can agree with that. So that's what we should use as our guide for things that we do. I have read that before, but for some reason never put 2 and 2 together. I think that should narrow it down quite a bit.

It depends on what you are playing. I hardly think that bowling, golf, basketball, or dance praise are questionable morally. However, I do find games based on magic something to be avoided. I find that sometimes after a hard day at work playing a "violent" video game (sword fighting) is just the thing I need to get my agression out.

• Moderators
Not only the content, how much time does one spend in it? Pacman was an innocuous game in terms of content. But I used to spend hours, sometimes until WAY past midnight playing the game. Fortunately, after awhile it got old and had no more desire to play it or any other video game.

I think that games are a way to reduce stress. Regardless if the game is checkers, Monopoly or a video game. Those with stressed out lives need these more than others. However some games will do more than just relieve stress. Playing basketball or soccer will also provide exercise. Playing games with other players like Uno or Pictionary allow us to socially interact with others. So as I evaluate games and why I do or do not play, I look at all of those things.

Time wasted can never be regained. Everything we do in life has what is called an opportunity task. By choosing to do one thing, we pass up the opportunity to do something else. What are we NOT doing when we play games? Are we not doing our school homework? Or we neglecting to spend time with our kids or spouse? Are we neglecting Bible study? What about the laundry? Could we find a better use for our time like learning a musical instrument or a foreign language? Video games can be a good way to relieve stress but in most cases they do not even help us socialize or get exercise so we really have to ask ourselves how much time we should spend playing them.

We have a Wii gaming system in our home. Our kids have to do chores or read books and do book reports in order to earn vouchers good for Wii use. The reason for this is so they have more of a balanced life.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I agree that it can be a stress reliever, but that also seems to depend on the game and person. For instance, before I started high school I used games to escape from reality because it would just make me mad or upset. My dad, when he is having a stressful day, playing a game seems to make it worse rather than better. It also depends on whether you play it by your self I think too because if I play games with friends I tend to not get angry with the game, but if I play with my family someone almost always gets mad (this generally only applies to video games).

I've also noticed that video games tend to lack the social aspect even if they are multiplayer. A board game or card game you can actually sit there and talk about other stuff while a video game tends to be more focused.

These are just some observations. It may be one of those areas that some people should forget it altogether while others can jump right in and not be affected at all.

• Moderators
Physical exercise is the best way to relieve mental stress, NOT more mental activity.

• Moderators

I agree with that.

Interesting that the time use question seems to come up for gaming much more than it does for TV.

Truth is important

• Members

Physical exercise is the best way to relieve mental stress, NOT more mental activity.

Absolutely Gerry. Not only that I found that when I've gotten out of work and was really tired, after a good workout I was wide awake again. Exercise and good eating habits go a long way to relieve stress. And of course a relationship with our Lord.

phkrause

• Administrators

Played a few rounds of tennis and badminton and practiced beach volleyball with my daughter on the PS3 Move last night... Combines video gaming and exercise!

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Interesting that the time use question seems to come up for gaming much more than it does for TV.

Hmm...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I would go into the TV watching, but I'd rather save that for another topic. That way the discussion stays organized at least little.

The escape from reality is what I find as a stress reliever. Alcohol and marijuana use to provide me that escape but I have since found less destructive means to get it. Both video games and TV provide an escape from reality which is sometimes something I need. If it leads to fighting, that certainly would not be something I would consider helpful. Certainly some video games and TV programs are destructive.

Certainly there are active video games such as tennis and dance. So often I think many of us flow with the path of least resistance. It is easy to turn on a video game or TV. Learning a new language or musical instrument takes more work.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I think that whatever we do in excess that takes away from your personal time with God can be considered an idol. Whether its too much TV, Video Games, Facebook..if we spend 5 hours a day on these things, but only spend 30 minutes talking to God, then that could be a problem as we start to lose quality time with God. I personally have to watch myself b/c I could play video games all day if Im not careful. Its ok to have leisure and activities but we must give God the attention that He deserves..we have to sacrifice from our busy schedules and connect with God. Stay Strong Everyone.

• Members

Played a few rounds of tennis and badminton and practiced beach volleyball with my daughter on the PS3 Move last night... Combines video gaming and exercise!

That must've been a great workout Tom, just don't over do.! bwink

phkrause

• Members

I think that whatever we do in excess that takes away from your personal time with God can be considered an idol. Whether its too much TV, Video Games, Facebook..if we spend 5 hours a day on these things, but only spend 30 minutes talking to God, then that could be a problem as we start to lose quality time with God. I personally have to watch myself b/c I could play video games all day if Im not careful. Its ok to have leisure and activities but we must give God the attention that He deserves..we have to sacrifice from our busy schedules and connect with God. Stay Strong Everyone.

:like:

phkrause