ClubAdventist is back!

Was Anyone Impressed?

Was anyone impressed with Obama's speech? The question begging to be asked is if he had all these great ideas, why is he just now proposing them over two years into his first term? After he has blown a trillion dollars with no results he wants to spend another $400 billion.

You know what I didn't hear? I didn't hear anything about drilling for more oil and gas. I didn't hear anything about building nuclear power plants. I didn't hear anything about building desalination plants. I didn't hear anything about building coal-to-liquid plants. I did miss the first part of the speech. Was any of that in there?

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Didn't get a chance to hear it Shane.

I was hoping for a nation-wide fiber optic infrastructure project. This would benefit local construction companies, as well as increase tech jobs. Gates Foundation was mulling something like this awhile ago.

Now Obama is going on the road to try and get public opinion to be on his side. That is really the action of someone desperate and resorting to bullying tactics. If he was a diplomat he would sit down with Congressional Republicans and say, "Hey, you guys want off-shore drilling, you want nuclear power plants, you want coal-to-liquid plants, you want less regulation. Let's go item by item and for every item I give you guys, you will give me something in return." If he would do that it is likely that he would walk out of such a meeting with all the tax increases and stimulus spending he wants.

Bullying tactics??? a desparate man??? Not sitting down with Republicans????

Oh, what an myopic view! You don't remember that during his 1st quarter as President, he gathered all the republicans to watch football....He entertained them to to talk politics...and then they snubed him without even compromsing...Since then, the republicans have done more to block good bills and done more to distort what the President has done.

And here you are, spreading the same distortions ......for shame, Shane...for shame...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Oh, what an myopic view! You don't remember that during his 1st quarter as President, he gathered all the republicans to watch football....He entertained them to to talk politics...and then they snubed him without even compromsing...Since then, the republicans have done more to block good bills and done more to distort what the President has done.

And here you are, spreading the same distortions ......for shame, Shane...for shame...

The republicans could not stop or block anything till last Nov.Then they controlled one out of three.

Obama told republicans they could come along for the ride but needed to sit in back and shutup.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

You don't remember that during his 1st quarter as President, he gathered all the republicans to watch football....He entertained them to to talk politics...and then they snubed him without even compromsing

No...I don't remember that.

I think you may have your presidents mixed up. I remember when Bush first got elected, he invited Ted Kennedy and some others over to watch movies. Kennedy then spewed a bunch of verbal nonsense at the president on the senate floor the following week.

The republicans could not stop or block anything till last Nov.Then they controlled one out of three.

Obama told republicans they could come along for the ride but needed to sit in back and shutup.

That's exactly right. People who buy into the left wing propaganda seem to forget that the Republicans haven't had the power to obstruct anything.

That fact alone makes the "republicans have done more to block good bills" argument laughable.

LOL

• Members

Excellent post, I remember that as if it were yesterday.

Here's one such invite: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/us/politics/04web-zeleny.html

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Ok, Mr. Murphy's daddy,

When you can come up with evidence to support your claim, I'll listen to you...In the mean time, you don't need to waste bandwith replying....The quality of posts here is rather shameful...To say that "I'm right" and not support it with evidence, is hughly asinine...How can that be an "exchange of ideas"?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

When you can come up with evidence to support your claim, I'll listen to you...In the mean time, you don't need to waste bandwith replying....

Let's tone this down a bit. You need to play nice in here and not be attacking other members.

Who's attaching?????

I am asking for a higher quality of post than just a "I said it-you accept it" post. If this is "exchanging ideas" , where is Mr. Murphy's daddy idea that he's exchanging???

George Bernard Shaw

You don't remember that during his 1st quarter as President, he gathered all the republicans to watch football....

Liberals are always accused of offering symbolism instead of substance. (I am a moderate that voted for Obama). Obama's stimulus was an extremely partisan bill. All the stimulus money was spent in Democratic districts. It was a way to pay back voters that voted for Democrats and punish voters that voted for Republicans. That is how Obama started his term in office. The health-care reform meetings were held in secret and backroom deals were made to pay off senators and congressmen that were on the fence. The Republicans were excluded. That was more partisanship.

Now Obama comes out and says, "The time for partisanship is over." What does that mean? I can tell you how I (as a moderate that voted for Obama see it). It means when the Democrats controlled the White House and both houses of Congress, partisanship was OK. But now that the Republicans have won control of the House of Representatives - the time for partisanship is over. It sounds quite disingenuous.

If Obama has what it takes to be a leader, he will stop with the bullying tactics, sit down with Republicans and make some deals. I am sure he can get all the stimulus and tax increases he wants if he is willing to give Republicans some of the major things they want.

Who's attacking?????

No one has to prove anything to you or me. They can express their opinion without being attacked. We don't grade posts here. We exchange ideas.

• Moderators

It would have been good for the country if such get-togethers had continued.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Liberals are always accused of offering symbolism instead of substance. (I am a moderate that voted for Obama). Obama's stimulus was an extremely partisan bill. All the stimulus money was spent in Democratic districts. It was a way to pay back voters that voted for Democrats and punish voters that voted for Republicans.

George Bernard Shaw

When you can come up with evidence to support your claim, I'll listen to you

Evidence!?? It's a matter of record that the republicans were in the severest minority until last Nov. and therefore were in no position to obstruct anything. They had no power. None. Nada. Zip.

Originally Posted By: hamilton-beach
Who's attacking?????

No one has to prove anything to you or me. They can express their opinion without being attacked. We don't grade posts here. We exchange ideas.

Again, in that post, WHAT IDEA WAS EXCHANGED?

As for "proof", I request that you don't put words into my mouth that were never there. I asked for evidence.Please do not misquote me again....

If you are the moderator here, I would be encouraging you to set a higher bar...because at this level, it's more likely to be a free for all than an exchange of ideas....

PS- I get what you are trying to say...but what you are not listening to is that this forum is not worth the effort to exchange ideas if all you are doing is pooh-hooing anything that is not from one party...and there is no growth from anyone if all they hear is thier own ideas.....

I'm done with this part of the 'moderating' discussion...

George Bernard Shaw

Originally Posted By: hamilton-beach
When you can come up with evidence to support your claim, I'll listen to you

Evidence!?? It's a matter of record that the republicans were in the severest minority until last Nov. and therefore were in no position to obstruct anything. They had no power. None. Nada. Zip.

Ho! now there's an mistatement...What you mean by "serverst minority" is that they were 1 person from holding a majority...And what is not stated was that Obama keep trying to woe the Republicans into buying into his ideas and they keep teasing him with "give us more" or " well, we might if we get this...." or other such bargining tactics...Or did you forget that record as well?

George Bernard Shaw

• Moderators

...Concidering that all the ideas that are out there, many by republican leaders, seems to me that there should be some really active republicans who should vote for this bill....but they won't....The reason why is because it didnt come from a republican...it came from a black democrat...

I don't believe it has anything to do with the color of someone's skin.

Can you please produce your evidence showing that the color of people's skins has to do with why Republicans won't vote for the bill?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

...Concidering that all the ideas that are out there, many by republican leaders, seems to me that there should be some really active republicans who should vote for this bill....but they won't....The reason why is because it didnt come from a republican...it came from a black democrat...

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Exactly. But we know it can't be his fault. Must be racial hatred from bigots.

Must have a country FULL of bigots. Wait a minute. How did he get voted in with all those bigots? Where were the bigots in 08'?

Quote:
What stimulus money are you refering to???

Thank you for allowing me to clarify.

Democratic districts received nearly twice the amount of stimulus funds as GOP districts

Quote:
A new analysis of the $157 billion distributed by the American Reinvestment and Recovery act, popularly known as the stimulus bill, shows that the funds were distributed without regard for what states were most in need of jobs.

“You would think that if the stimulus money was actually spent to create jobs, there would be more stimulus money spent in high unemployment states,” said Veronique de Rugy, a scholar at the Mercatus Center who produced the analysis. "But we don't find any correlation."

...The Mercatus Center analysis also found that Democratic congressional districts received on average almost double the funding of Republican congressional districts. Republican congressional districts received on average $232 million in stimulus funds while Democratic districts received $439 million on average.

It was a shame for Republicans to betray the confidence of the American people....and the lies they told..."death panels"-remember that was started by republicans on the townhall meetings? Nothing said to calm the people, only to inflame them...

The health-care reform does have death panels in it. It has a lot of good things but it has a lot of bad things too. I favor a single-payer system. What we got was a terrible compromise and they way it was passed was disgraceful.

seems to me that there should be some really active republicans who should vote for this bill....

We have to figure out how we are going to pay for it first. Obama says we will pay for it with additional cuts. Where can we cut that it won't cost jobs?

We cut defense an defense contractors lay off employees and soldiers come out and head to the unemployment lines.

Cut food stamps and the entire food industry from grocery stores to Kraft and Frito-Lay will be laying off employees.

Cut Medi-care payments and doctors and hospitals will start laying off workers.

Where are we going to cut to pay for this jobs program?