ClubAdventist is back!

Who Qualifies for Charity?

GreatLakesGramma

Who Qualifies for Charity? - Crown Financial Ministries, Chuck Bentley, November 7, 2011

Who Qualifies for Charity?

On a recent Saturday morning, I was waiting to pick up my son John from a musical practice at church, so I decided to walk around the building for some exercise. While walking, I encountered a man knocking on the front door of the building.

Allow me to describe him to give you a better context of my experience. “Bill” (a pseudonym to protect his identity) is a healthy, white male about 50 years old. He was visibly angry, agitated and seemed ready to explode. Although I was a little frightened by his demeanor, I told him the staff had the day off and politely asked if I could help him.

Bill, who does not have any apparent mental challenges, began ranting about the evil of living in America. He said the country no longer cared for the poor, that everyone was cold and cruel and that even the “church” was not any different. He said he was hungry, had walked six miles to get to a location where he normally had good success asking for money but was tired and did not want to walk another step. He put a large dip of snuff in his mouth and began to tell me of his aches, pains, rejection and bitterness towards “Christians” and “Americans” who just don’t care anymore.

I calmly told him that I would help him. Apparently either my offer to help or the snuff had a positive effect on his attitude—he stopped spewing his anger. About that time my 13-year-old son, John, appeared, signaling it was time to go home. To his surprise, I introduced John to Bill and said the man was going to be riding with us.

We drove Bill to a nearby store. I gave him cash to buy food and waited for him outside. In just a few moments he returned and we proceeded to his desired destination. As we talked, I learned a lot about Bill and so did my son John.

It turns out that Bill is not homeless. In fact, he lives in a hotel. He is also a Christian. It was also obvious that he is intelligent. He told us he was born out of wedlock and has no communication with members of his family. We also learned that he works “about three days a week” when he can find temporary employment, typically doing construction, changing tires on forklifts and other odd jobs as they come available.

Although perfectly able, I got the impression that Bill only works whenever he feels like it or as long as he is able to get along with bosses and co-workers—which severely limits him. His bitter attitude permeates his demeanor.

When we arrived at Bill’s hotel, I surprised him with some additional information.

“Bill, do you know why I bought you food today and drove you back home?”

“No,” he replied.

He was sitting in the backseat of my car when I turned and said, “Bill, I helped you today because I know you.” He didn’t respond and only looked confused.

“Do you remember that I’ve helped you before? You were by our offices asking for help a few months ago. I gave you money then, too.”

He was completely unaware that this was my second encounter with him at an entirely different location.

Bill did not say anything; he just looked at me as I continued.

“Bill, I am a Christian; I go to the church where you were knocking on the door, and I am an American. I hope you see that God has many people who actually do help you.”

Bill began to get out of the car. As he thanked me for the food and the ride, I had one more final thought to share with him.

“Bill, I can help you on occasion, but not over and over again. The next time you ask me for help, I want to help you get a job.”

There was only silence from Bill.

He got out of the car and headed back to his hotel room. All around him were places where he could potentially find work, but it was obvious Bill did not want that kind of help.

Government as Our Provider

In August 2011, the number of people in the U.S. relying on food stamps hit 45.8 million—nearly 15% of the population. Food stamp rolls have risen 8.1% in the past year, the Department of Agriculture reports, though the pace of growth has slowed from the depths of the recession1.

In 2010, the American labor force was made up of approximately 154 million people. That means that for nearly every three workers, we have one person on food stamps—a shocking statistic. Compare the growth of this program from 1969 to 2010 in the chart2 below:

hotw_usda_chart.jpg

After Bill left my car, John and I had a long talk on the way home. First, I thanked him for his great attitude during the experience with Bill. John had handled himself with love and composure.

We also talked about the importance of work and the devastation that it brings to our lives when we are able—but do not—work. We discussed the crippling effect of an attitude that expects someone else to provide for our needs. We also talked about the verse that came to mind as we considered Bill’s future.

“For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: if anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.”

Paul is not being cruel or heartless in this passage. He is expressing a truth that those who are able but unwilling to work should be disqualified from receiving charitable help, thereby allowing their natural need for food to drive their effort to work. This is a profound and often overlooked financial principle.

The Bible is very specific about who should and who should not receive charity. This verse also implies that the recipient of the charity should be known by the ones administering the help, those who can provide love, accountability and wisdom, in addition to the financial resources.

This is just one of the many reasons that I don’t believe the Bible supports the position that government be the provider and caretaker of the poor. As with all public policy, if we fail to follow God’s direction, we end up with problems for everyone. That’s why we now have a system of dependence on government for perpetual welfare in many forms that is unsustainable. All the while, many are demanding even more government handouts of one sort or another.

As a friend of mine noted, “Government programs today are into making people comfortable in their poverty instead of helping them get out of their condition.”

Are we—the Church—to love our neighbor and help the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the poor, the prisoner, widows and orphans and those who are sick? Yes.

Are we to do all we can to help those who have lost jobs but are able and willing to get back to work? Yes.

Does that mean we demand that the government use a misguided Robin Hood method to take from the rich to give to the poor?

Not according to the Bible.

Chuck Bentley Who Qualifies for Charity? - Crown Financial Ministries, November 2, 2011

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Well said Gramma. Sister White had a LOT to say about WHO the "worthy poor" are and lays out specific guidelines in determining that. It is NOT every hungry mouth asking for money on the street corner, all though it may include some.

• Moderators

It's a truth that the one who refuses to work shouldn't eat. The pernicious lie, and the one that will place its perpetrators among the goats in the day of judgement, is painting all of the poor as those who refuse to work. Those who *can't* work deserve our help - the Bible is very clear on this.

And the tragedy is that I see *far* more posts here about who *not* to help than who to help.

Truth is important

• Members

It's a truth that the one who refuses to work shouldn't eat. The pernicious lie, and the one that will place its perpetrators among the goats in the day of judgement, is painting all of the poor as those who refuse to work. Those who *can't* work deserve our help - the Bible is very clear on this.

And the tragedy is that I see *far* more posts here about who *not* to help than who to help.

:like: The system needs to be fixed, that is the problem. For everyone of these stories there is another one the other way.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

Interesting, too, that there's *one* text in that whole original post, and it's one relating to a single very specific situation.

How about:

Deuteronomy 15:10

Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.

Proverbs 21:26

All day long he craves for more, but the righteous give without sparing.

Luke 6:30

Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.

There are literally *thousands* more I could quote.

Doesn't it make you wonder why just that one text is the only one often quoted in relation to this issue? Are we really interested in what the Bible has to say?

Truth is important

Thank God we have some excellent counsel from Sister White that offers guideline for us on the issue.

I'm not sure those guidelines can be carried over to the Federal Government though, so not much I can offer on that side of the issue. :)

Sister White does not rush by the bible either. She expands the meaning of the verses, just like were doing right here right now. I won't dismiss her counsel anymore than I would yours in coming to a correct understanding of our obligations to the poor as the bible reports it.

• Members

Here are a few statements she makes, there are many more:

Methods of helping the needy should be carefully and prayerfully considered. We are to seek God for wisdom, for He knows better than shortsighted mortals how to care for the creatures He has made. There are some who give indiscriminately to everyone who solicits their aid. In this they err. In trying to help the needy, we should be careful to give them the right kind of help. There are those who when helped will continue to make themselves special objects of need. They will be dependent as long as they see anything on which to depend. By giving undue time and attention to these, we may encourage idleness, helplessness, extravagance, and intemperance. {CCh 285.1}

When we give to the poor we should consider: “Am I encouraging prodigality? Am I helping or injuring them?” No man who can earn his own livelihood has a right to depend on others. {CCh 285.2}

Men and women of God, persons of discernment and wisdom, should be appointed to look after the poor and needy, the household of faith first. These should report to the church and counsel as to what should be done.529 {CCh 285.3}

God does not require our brethren to take charge of every poor family that shall embrace this message. If they should do this, the ministers must cease to enter new fields, for the funds would be exhausted. Many are poor from their own lack of diligence and economy; they know not how to use means aright. If they should be helped, it would hurt them. Some will always be poor. If they should have the very best advantages, their cases would not be helped. They have not good calculation and would use all the means they could obtain, were it much or little. {CCh 285.4}

When such embrace the message, they feel that they are entitled to assistance from their more wealthy brethren; and if their expectations are not met, they complain of the church and accuse them of not living out their faith. Who must be the sufferers in this case? Must the cause of God be sapped, and the treasury in different places exhausted, to take care of these large families of poor? No. The parents must be the sufferers. They will not, as a general thing, suffer any greater lack after they embrace the Sabbath than they did before.530 {CCh 285.5}

God suffers His poor to be in the borders of every church. They are always to be among us, and the Lord places upon the members of every church a personal responsibility to care for them. We are not to lay our responsibility upon others. Toward those within our own borders we are to manifest the same love and sympathy that Christ would manifest were He in our place. Thus we are to be disciplined, that we may be prepared to work in Christ’s lines.531 {CCh 285.6}

We do know that this was pretty much in her time, when I would say that there were much fewer people that were needy or poor than now. As I've mentioned on a few occasions, the reason the Government is involved is because more and more people are not giving and helping as EGW is saying. I agree she gives great advice, but how many are actually doing this. We only hear of a very few that help.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Thanks for the story, Gramma.

Thanks for the verses, Bravus.

Charity is good, yes. Proponents of social justice however view the Federal Government as their philanthropic aqueduct. For them "taxes is the new tithe."

rejoice always,

`g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

It's hard to say who is doing how much in any given church or group. I know a few folks in MY church that are quite active in helping the poor. I didn't find out from some announcement, I find out more all the time by simply picking up clues here and there from conversations. I am more and more impressed with the amount of help going on in the background, unseen.

I can speak with some authority on this issue. I am personally involved quite a lot in my local town reaching out to the needy, simply to offer help. Some folks I WAS helping, I don't anymore, having had time to review their personal situation, frankly, they are not worthy. Reality is, sometimes you have to make that call, it's tough to do.

On the local church level, my church, my people, I don't know all the needs, and there are plenty. So, I give a $100 a month to the Pastors "discretionary fund". With the instructions he is to use that money specifically to address the poor WITHIN our church as he see's the need. I do not expect him to tell me exactly where the money went or to whom or why. NO ONE ELSE in my church even knows I do this, I have told the Pastor he is not to tell anyone where the money came from.

On the local school level, helping parents get their kids into our schools. I have met with key leadership people in the school to discuss the needs. Taken a tour of the school. Asked hard questions aobut WHO might qualify for aid, how do they determine that? Then I made a substantial donation to a specific fund for that purpose because I like what I saw and I liked how the money was accounted for. Only the treasurer knew where those funds came from.

So, it MAY be more widespread than is apparent, those who are helping. I'm a bit embarrased to share this information here, but I think it's the right time and place. Now let it go, you never heard it from me.

• Moderators

Who on the Forum is saying that all the poor are people who refuse to work?

Yes, of course, those who who can't work deserve our help. Who is disagreeing with that?

But as far as the Bible goes, if you're going to use the Bible as an authority for what should be done regarding the poor, consistency requires that you accept it as an authority in other ways as well, such as in doctrine and faith.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

True, John. That is a false premise. Wisdom is needed (as the article illustrated) to discern between the worthy poor and the slothful.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

As I've mentioned on a few occasions, the reason the Government is involved is because more and more people are not giving and helping as EGW is saying.

I agree but at the same time it's also true that the reason a lot of people don't give more to charity is that they feel that the government is already taking care of the poor. To some extent this is true, yet there are still many millions without sufficient food or a roof over their head, who no longer get help from the government. They've given up hope of getting work.

The actual unemployment rate, when everyone is considered, is estimated to be between 15-17 percent, much higher than the official 9 percent. It's expected to go even higher over the next year.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Bravus, I do understand your issue here. Another thread posting about who we shouldn't help! And it is not being recognized as such! I have not seen a single thread were someone posted about helping others and immediately the response swings to 'who' is worthy. You quote Bible texts and the favorite author is used to show us how to interpret those texts.

Hmm, the Bible seems to explain it rather simply! But maybe that's just the issue for some of us, when will our first thoughts be about others rather than my need not to help. True, there's that word again, Christianity is about others, always, and ourselves last. If the relationship exists, God will guide us, always.

I guess we could have a thread dedicated to who we SHOULD help, but I think the end result is the same. It's just symantics.

Widows, orphans and handicaped folks are at the top of the list as folks that we should. Who else can we add to the list of those who need no other qualifications to apply for and receive aid?

My neighbor needs help with the rent, again, this month. Send money to me, no questions asked, just trust me on this, I checked it out, she is really short on the rent, again. I'll make sure she gets it. Is it OK if I keep a little for over head? Gas to drive over there and related expenses, you understand.

...and don't ask about the booze, it's not an issue, everyone qualifies regardless of their lifestyle, right? :)

PM me with how much you can donate this month (and next).

I think there is another issue to the reduction of the Federal Government. It is in the way of theocracy.

One of the goals of faith based organizations taking over charity is that charity is given on the condition of believing a certain way.

Dominion theology has all but taken over the Republican party. One of it's goals in the reduction of Federal Government is to give welfare and education over to faith based organizations.

This is why they aren't interested in reforming the system. This is why they are obstructing any change because they want it to fall apart. It is from this vacuum that they want to Christianize the United States.

Here is a 5 part video study on this movement.

Quote:
If the relationship exists, God will guide us, always.

And if that be true, surely this Word should not offend anyone. Unless it is true that opinions of how to interpret the Word is found necessary here also.

"Give as freely as you have received!"

Matthew 10:7-9

"Let each be fully convinced in his own mind."Romans 14:5 NKJV

These excerpts are both taken out of context so I guess if we are so minded, we can use that as a well accepted reason for disregarding the counsel.

I've had some very gratifying experiences lately, with some who just looked as if they needed help, were approached with the question, "Do you know (Who) Jesus (is)?

No matter what the answer was, I just told them, "Jesus told me to give this to you". One man told me he was an Adventist without any prompting on my part. Another was moved to tears as he confessed that he had at one time known Jesus.

I'm sure that God worked the providence out since before leaving home for town, we had prayer and asked God to lead us to someone in which He could be glorified through our actions.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Only the treasurer knew where those funds came from.

So, it MAY be more widespread than is apparent, those who are helping. I'm a bit embarrased to share this information here, but I think it's the right time and place. Now let it go, you never heard it from me.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."Matthew 5:16 NKJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!