ClubAdventist is back!

Who Qualifies for Charity?

GreatLakesGramma

In the first place the counsel that "He who does not work, shall not eat." is counsel for the believer, a member of the body of Christ. Since the non-believer has not accepted the authority of God, Who does not force His right of authority over those who have not willingly accepted His right of rule, according to God's intention for man, the same rules do not apply for those who have not full intelligence of the safety found in loyalty to God.

And since God sent His Son to seek and to save the lost, it is perfectly acceptable to give a benefit, that which is not deserved, that God's beneficience may reveal His love for the undeserving, in spite of those professors who often reveal their puckered hearts that fail to follow God's command(not demand), "Freely you have received, freely give". The key is to proclaim the love and grace of Jesus in the giving, that the profane and profligate may be motivated to see God as a loving and caring Benefactor, instead of seeing God as only One who gives to those who have shown works as their best reason for loyalty to Him.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Sister White does not rush by the bible either. She expands the meaning of the verses, just like were doing right here right now. I won't dismiss her counsel anymore than I would yours in coming to a correct understanding of our obligations to the poor as the bible reports it.

Say what???

The "Lessor light" expanding the "greater light"....?

Since when????

obviously, we just dont understand the role that the lessor light plays in our religious lives, let alone the greater light on all of our lives.....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Charity is good, yes. Proponents of social justice however view the Federal Government as their philanthropic aqueduct. For them "taxes is the new tithe."

Horse pa-too-tee!!!!

Only in the minds of men who seek to divert attention away from thier own contributions....who also seek to keep thier own moneys and reduce thier patriotic duties to the collective...

greed propells them, and guilt seeks to avoid the punishment that they deserve.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

True, John. That is a false premise. Wisdom is needed (as the article illustrated) to discern between the worthy poor and the slothful.

Let me guess....I'm not to judge you about what you give nor how much work you do nor your motivations....but you OTOH, are quite capable of judging the "worthy poor" verse the "slothful"?

What type of hypocritical nonsense is this????

George Bernard Shaw

Who on the Forum is saying that all the poor are people who refuse to work?

Yes, of course, those who who can't work deserve our help. Who is disagreeing with that?

But as far as the Bible goes, if you're going to use the Bible as an authority for what should be done regarding the poor, consistency requires that you accept it as an authority in other ways as well, such as in doctrine and faith.

I suggest that you read the very first post again and look at the implications of what it is saying....

And who are you to make these type of judgements regarding personal faith and doctrine? It's this type of posting that makes me want to walk away from the adventist church in general....

What does the Lord require of you, John? But to love mercy, do justly and to walk humbly with your God.....

I refer you to Micah...Im angry enought to let you figure out where

George Bernard Shaw

Bravus, I do understand your issue here. Another thread posting about who we shouldn't help! And it is not being recognized as such! I have not seen a single thread were someone posted about helping others and immediately the response swings to 'who' is worthy. You quote Bible texts and the favorite author is used to show us how to interpret those texts.

Hmm, the Bible seems to explain it rather simply! But maybe that's just the issue for some of us, when will our first thoughts be about others rather than my need not to help. True, there's that word again, Christianity is about others, always, and ourselves last. If the relationship exists, God will guide us, always.

AAaaah, the Lord bless you, CoAspen...

such sentiments warms my heart that there are others here who truely understand that our christianity is not about us, but others first, and last....ourselves....

A true Adventist, Indeed!

George Bernard Shaw

My neighbor needs help with the rent, again, this month. Send money to me, no questions asked, just trust me on this, I checked it out, she is really short on the rent, again. I'll make sure she gets it. Is it OK if I keep a little for over head? Gas to drive over there and related expenses, you understand.

...and don't ask about the booze, it's not an issue, everyone qualifies regardless of their lifestyle, right? :)

PM me with how much you can donate this month (and next).

You recognise the problem....You recognise the need...It occurs to me that YOU are being asked to help her....

I have others that I am helping and I recognise them....

George Bernard Shaw

Hamilton, you gotta spread the wealth around - just helping those locally isn't getting the job done. You gotta send CV12 some cash. And me too.

thanks

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Administrators

Please submit your completed JFS 07200 and we will process it to see if you qualify...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Sorry, that's they way it works...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Eh Eh,,, and so it goes.... :)

I liked so much those last five or six posts. In the meantime, I'm beginning to see more and more sense in this counsel below.

"The idea that one man’s mind and judgment can mold and direct important interests, and that he can be regarded as a voice for the people, is a great evil, and has, and still continues to endanger the one who is placed in a position of responsibility, and those also who cooperate with him. God has not given to any one man all the wisdom, and wisdom will not die with him. Those placed in positions of trust should modestly regard the opinions of others as worthy of respect and likely to be as correct as their own. They should remember that God has made other men just as valuable as they are, and that God is willing to teach and guide these men......

God has not given to special ones all the brain power there is in the world. Men in responsible positions should credit others with some sense, with some ability of judgment and foresight and look upon them as capable of doing the work committed to their hands." —Manuscript 55, 1897 (June 3, 1897, Development of Workers) Bold mine LHC

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!