ClubAdventist is back!

Excellent program on economics and health internationally

Bravus

• Members

Life expectancy has increased as a result of increased prosperity, and medical research

Interesting statement. Not saying its not partly true, because after all those have helped, but I recall a study quite a while ago that mentioned those things plus the study showed that all the preservetives we eat have helped also. I did think that that was very interesting.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

• Moderators

Yeah, I thought there were quite a few interesting things in the program. One that struck me is that we've doubled our life expectancy in the last 100 years or so.

Another was that they said there is no real extra burden on the health care system: it's not that we get to 60 and then are decrepit for 30 years. The period of ill heath in old age is the same length, it just happens older.

I do think we'll have to look at some of our social arrangements: we can't expect to retire at 65 if we're going to live another 30 years. We'd have worked for 40 years or so (25-65, after education) and have to live on the proceeds for 3/4 as long.

I fully expect to work on into my late 60s and early 70s, and to be well enough to do so.

Truth is important

• Members

As a retiree, I can't overemphasize the importance of staying healthy or retirement will be a big disappointment. I've seen too many friends retire, and have their health diminish the quality of their life,

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

• Moderators

Yeah, I think both that and money... what's the good of being retired and having all that time if all you can afford to do, either health-wise or money-wise, is stay home and totter down to the shops?

I suspect I'll be studying and writing books and teaching the occasional course and so on during retirement...

But I agree on the keeping healthy thing - don't necessarily need to be on your level, but definitely need to get less sedentary than I currently am.

Truth is important