ClubAdventist is back!

Why I Apologize

Dr. Shane

I have gotten into the daily habit of evaluating my day in prayer before going to sleep at night. When I see I have done something wrong, the next day I apologize. I do this because I am a grown-up. Children need to be prodded to apologize when they do something wrong. Grown-ups are suppose to own up to their mistakes and make amends.

• Sometimes when apologizing, the offended person feels if they accept the apology they are condoning the offense.
  • Sometimes the offended person actually gets more satisfaction when they force the offending person to apologize due to pressure from family, friends, pastor, boss, etc.
  • When the apology is freely offered without any pressure from anyone, sometimes the offended person feels it is just too easy for the offending party

Note: if there are some negative or snide comments made in response to this I may just ignore them. The purpose of this thread is to discuss how we react to people apologizing to us and in a broader scope, how does the church react when members apologize to each other.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Apology is a good thing. I practice it often! Sometimes wish I would get better at not making the mistake or giving the offence in the first place, and God's still workin' on me, but far better to apologise than not. I always appreciate your maturity and willingness to do so, Shane.

Truth is important

Don't you think that the more often we apologize for our mistakes, the less often we will actually make them? At least the same ones...

When apologizing, I have had people react in a way that if they were to forgive me they would be letting me off too easy - especially when my apology comes quickly after the offense. Of course, if money is involved, saying "sorry" isn't enough. Compensation needs to be made. If there is some type of physical abuse, the offending party should get some kind of help. So I certainly agree that in some circumstances, "sorry" isn't enough.

In my case, I tend to find myself apologizing for either forgetting to show up some place when I had made a commitment, insulting someone (typically sarcastically) or yelling at someone (rarely a member of my family). There isn't much more that a person can do but say "sorry" and try not to do it again.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

I think anytime you can make recompense it is the best way to go, in any way possible without comprimising personal integrity.

However sometimes sorry is all you can do.

Apology is a good thing. I practice it often! Sometimes wish I would get better at not making the mistake or giving the offence in the first place, and God's still workin' on me, but far better to apologise than not. I always appreciate your maturity and willingness to do so, Shane.

I can identify with this experience Bravus.