ClubAdventist is back!

Public Distrust Toward Atheists

Dr. Shane

Study reveals Christians' strong distrust towards atheists

Quote:
In one of the studies, participants said atheists more closely matched the description of an untrustworthy person than Muslims, Jews, Christians, feminists or homosexual men did. The only people that were counted nearly as untrustworthy as atheists were rapists, who are described by the study as an “unambiguously distrusted group.”

...“While atheists may see their disbelief as a private matter on a metaphysical issue, believers may consider atheists’ absence of belief as a public threat to cooperation and honesty,” said Norenzayan.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Quote:
"This antipathy is striking, as atheists are not a coherent, visible or powerful social group," said Gervais. One of the reasons the researchers gave for this distrust of nonbelievers, however, is a shared feeling “that people behave better if they feel that God monitors their behavior.”

So these people believe that one can not behave well if they don't have Godly supervision?

Thats pretty sad.

• Members

An interesting article for sure. Not sure I even agree with it. To me it seems to say more than anything that Christians are paranoid. At least these so called Christians. I have to wonder if this same study was done through an Adventist group if you'd get the same results??? I for one doubt it. We might have are obvious difference's with Atheists, but I would be hard pressed to see the same results.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I have to wonder if this same study was done through an Adventist group if you'd get the same results???

Adventists have their own tweeks that they get paranoid about. I suspect every group of people do. We know that many professed Christians embezzle, lie, commit adultery and compromise their beliefs. So hiring a "Christian" doesn't really mean the person can be trusted.

There really are not that many atheists out there so I suspect that most of these Christians that do not trust them are basing their distrust on the vocal atheists they see on TV, hear on the radio or read about. I know and have know many atheists due to my work in a 12-Step recovery program but outside of that program I may have only met one or two atheists - at least that let me know they were atheists.

The question that begs to be asked is what does an atheist base his or her morality on? They must have some sort of moral philosophy. Whatever that is, that is what they should be judged on.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

My first question is which "christians" are saying this about atheists?

My first answer tells me this idea does not correctly represent christianity.

Seems more like an attempt to stir up the cauldron to me. They call it a "study?" I have other words for it.

post-4001-140967451982_thumb.png

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

I mean lets get real. For starters they didn't even use 1000 people in this "study."

Hardly authoritative!!

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ