ClubAdventist is back!

What do you think?

Neil D

I over heard some guys at church talking about this....

Whenever a public sports figure , whether it be the coach or baseball/football player, prays, does it glorify God?

Personally, I don't think it matters who wins in a game....but when they pray that God allows them to win....does that glorify God?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

I agree HB, I think God just winks and says Oy Vey, not again.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

but what about to the non-christian?

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

• Members

No to sound flippant or anything, but I would say they really don't care one way or the other. Or they might even say, "well I guess God likes one team above another!" Personally I'd say they think its pretty foolish that both teams pray and than there is a loser anyway.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Well, when they pray, do you know what they are saying? I mean, do they say it while hooked up to a microphone, or do they say it afterwards, "I was praying for a win"? Or do you see them bowing their heads and just assume they are praying for a win?

I personally don't think GOD has a favorite sport or team, however, I do think he listens if the guy who prays is sincere and he could be praying that no one gets hurt, that they all do their best, etc., and then slips in the win thing.

GOD is a personal GOD so if you have a personal relationship with HIM, then if it's important to you it's important to HIM.

I think the only dud prayers are those spoken by actors during a scene.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Holding up the Index Finger for Jesus when crossing home plate or scoring a touchdown is much more acceptable than waving the 1-fingered salute.

SMAN!!!! Where have you been? So good to see you!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Good question EC ...

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Let me ask this, how would you all feel if someone that worships another God gave their God thanks for the win?

Cool Idea. That way everyone wins.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

My prayers often compete with farmers.

I believe in Hematology.

What I mean, is that some people worship using nudity, and some people sacrifice animals. If a sports figure wants to worship by lifting their hands, or some similar thing, I have no problem with it. Second Amendment and all that.

• Administrators

????

Originally Posted By: Woody

????

When they want rain - I want sun.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

oic ... perhaps you could pray for rain at night and sun in the daytime giggle

now that's a novel idea.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

see I am not just a hat rack rollingsmile

oic ... perhaps you could pray for rain at night and sun in the daytime giggle

You would make a good counselor. Finding ways to make everyone happy is a good quality.

I believe in Hematology.

What I mean, is that some people worship using nudity, and some people sacrifice animals. If a sports figure wants to worship by lifting their hands, or some similar thing, I have no problem with it. Second Amendment and all that.

Ah ok, well both or those practices are usually for very special occasions and not just as a thanks to their deity.

I meant more along the lines of a "Hail Odin" or " Praise Morrigan" or something like that.

The spirit of the games is the spirit of war.

I believe that Jesus, who did not resist his human oppressors, would refuse to participate in any activity requiring him to conquer and destroy his opponents. Likewise, we too, should avoid participating in events where selfish beings attempt to dominate, humiliate, and conquer others by capitalizing on their mistakes.

Our goal should rather be to encourage, teach, and render assistance, especially to those less fortunate than ourselves. The spirit of the games, the self-centered domination of those who may be weaker than we are, will not exist among humans chosen to become members in the Kingdom of God.

Any participant in sports who publicly displays his religion is only misguided.

The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451