ClubAdventist is back!

The Spirit Of Prophecy & Military Service

Overaged

Due to issues raised in another, related topic here; I decided that a separate topic should be started on this question. on the history, and the current thinking of Adventists getting involved with military service.

I will be posting materials that I have from the EGW Estate research articles. Everything I post will be referenced so that you can go look it up yourself, and see the exact context it is written in. Personally; I have found the history of this whole issue very enlightening, and interesting. I hope you do too. peace

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Overaged

• ClubV12

• doug yowell

• Naomi

The Spirit Of Prophecy & Military Service

Statement prepared by W. C. White, D. E. Robinson and A. L. White

Part 1

Introduction

During the years 1860 to 1863, while the final steps were being taken in the development of church organization, the leaders of the church were facing with increasing intensity other new and grave perplexities. The political strife in the United States, culminating in civil war, brought to the front a number of problems whose solution affected not only their relation to current issues, but which was to mold the policy of the church during even more troublous times of international conflict.

Naturally as the Civil War crisis developed, the members of the church looked to the leaders, particularly to James and Ellen White, for some pronouncement regarding how the new and perplexing situations should be met.

Fortunately, there were no sectional divisions among the Sabbath-keeping Adventists. While their work had expanded steadily from east to west, it had not, prior to the Civil War, penetrated the Southern slave-holding states. Those who had accepted the message were united in their opposition to the principles of human slavery. They were patriotically in sympathy with the Northern States, and with the government of the Union at Washington. Their attitude was such that in the later years of the war they could declare to the civil authorities that “Seventh-day Adventists are rigidly anti-slavery, loyal to the government, and in sympathy with it against the rebellion.” — The Views of Seventh-day Adventists Relative to Bearing Arms, p. 7 (1864).

Despite their common viewpoint, there were dangers confronting the young and growing church. There was the danger that the minds of the believers should become so absorbed in the political issues that they would be diverted from their work of proclaiming the message. And there was danger that the public would lose interest in the message as their attention was absorbed in the national affairs.

And I can trust"

Part 2

Both these dangers were anticipated by James White. In the late summer of 1860, when the excitement of the presidential election was at its height, he sounded an editorial note of warning against being drawn into political controversy. He counseled the ministers either to conduct their efforts in “small places away from the heat of political strife,” or to close them for the season. He wisely avoided either condemning or advocating the exercise of the ballot, stating:

We are not prepared to prove from the Bible that it would be wrong for a believer in the third message to go in a manner becoming his profession, and cast his vote. We do not recommend this, neither do we oppose. 1 — Review and Herald, Aug. 21, 1860.

Abraham Lincoln, the Republican candidate for the presidency, while not deeming it best to meddle with slavery in the states where it existed, was pledged to oppose its spread into new territory. It was natural that those of our people who went to the polls should vote for him. His election in November was followed in a few weeks by the beginning of the secession of the Southern States. South Carolina passed the secession act December 20, 1860. Similar ordinances were passed on three successive days, January 9, 10, and 11 by Mississippi, Florida, and Alabama respectively, and by the first of February

Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas had united with them in raising the flag of the “Confederate States of America.” Thus seven states seceded before Lincoln was inaugurated and took office on March 4, 1861.

And I can trust"

Part 3

Chapter 1—Vision at Parkville

For January 11 and 12, 1861, meetings were appointed in Parkville, Michigan. These were attended by James and Ellen White and Elders J. H. Waggoner, Uriah Smith, and J. N. Loughborough. On Sabbath, January 12, after Sister White had spoken, she was taken off in vision.

In this vision it was revealed to Mrs. White that other states would unite with South Carolina, and that a most terrible war would result. She was given views of armies in conflict, with terrible carnage by bullet and bayonet. She saw battle fields covered with the dead and dying. She witnessed scenes of suffering in overcrowded prisons, and she saw homes where distress and anguish reigned because of the loss of husbands, sons, or brothers.

After coming out of vision, she looked around the house, and said sadly, “There are those in this house who will lose sons in that war.” 2

At the time this vision was given, neither the North nor the South was expecting a great war to follow. The Southern politicians argued that they “could make better terms out of the union than in it.” It was their thought that they would “withdraw temporarily from the Federal government until proper guarantees for the observance” of what they regarded as their rights and interests should be given. “They did not believe the United States authorities would really attempt” such a tremendous undertaking as the occupation of their vast territory in an effort to conquer them by force. (See Encyclopedia Britannica, art. United States.)

As for the Federal government, their limited expectations regarding the war are indicated by the fact that even after the first aggressive shot had been fired at Fort Sumter on April 12, and war was regarded as inevitable, the president on April 15 issued a call for only 75,000 men, and that for a period of three months.

(to be continued)

And I can trust"

Part 4

Chapter 2—Calls for Volunteers

This call for 75,000 volunteers for the Federal army was quickly and enthusiastically met. When the quotas allotted to each state, each county, and township were filled, further applications were refused. In Battle Creek, following a mass meeting held April 20, attended by more than a thousand citizens, 71 volunteers enlisted. The following morning others came and were turned away disappointed because the roll was full.

Chapter 3—Early Reverses and Their Significance

President Lincoln called the Congress into special session July 4, 1861. Congress addressed itself immediately to the execution of the war, its finance, and authorized an army of 500,000 volunteers. Before the special session closed, the forces of the North and the South met in combat on July 21, 1861, in the Battle of Bull Run at Manassas, Virginia, some thirty miles south of Washington. The disheartening defeat of the Northern forces emphasized their lack of preparation for the war. But there were other reasons for this defeat and the lack of a decisive victory for either side. To Ellen White, in a vision given to her at Roosevelt, New York, on August 3, just two weeks after the conflict at Manassas, the curtain was drawn aside, and she was permitted to see just what took place. Of this she wrote in the article published in the Review of August 27, 1861, entitled “Slavery and the War,” and reprinted in Testimonies, Volume 1:

I had a view of the disastrous battle at Manassas, Virginia. It was a most exciting, distressing scene. The Southern army had everything in their favor, and were prepared for a dreadful contest. The Northern army was moving on with triumph, not doubting but that they would be victorious. Many were reckless, and marched forward boastingly, as though victory were already theirs.

As they neared the battle-field, many were almost fainting through weariness and want of refreshment. They did not expect so fierce an encounter. They rushed into battle and fought bravely, desperately. The dead and dying were on every side. Both the North and the South suffered severely. The Southern men felt the battle, and in a little while would have been driven back still further. The Northern men were rushing on, although their destruction was very great.

Just then an angel descended, and waved his hand backward. Instantly there was confusion in the ranks. It appeared to the Northern men that their troops were retreating, when it was not so in reality, and a precipitate retreat commenced. This seemed wonderful to me.

Then it was explained that God had this nation in His own hand, and would not suffer victories to be gained faster than He ordained, and would permit no more losses to the Northern men than in His wisdom He saw fit, to punish them for their sins. . . . The sudden falling back of the Northern troops is a mystery to all. They know not that God’s hand was in the matter.— Testimonies, Vol. 1, pp. 266-267.

The “sins” of the North here referred to, she explains at length to be their toleration of slavery, and their efforts only to confine it to the states where it already existed, rather than to free all bondmen.

(to be continued)

And I can trust"

Part 5

Chapter 4—Bounties to Encourage Enlistment

As the war progressed, calls were issued by the President for more soldiers. Each state was required to furnish a certain quota of men for each call and this in turn was apportioned to each county, city and ward. If the number of those who freely volunteered failed to reach the required quota, it would become necessary to institute a draft. To avoid this, they must find some means of encouraging the enlistment of men to make up the required number. As a means to promote enlistment, citizens’ committees were formed in many municipalities and they arranged to offer a bounty to be paid to recruits. Beginning at $25.00, it was soon raised to as high as $100.00 as more and more men were called to the front.

As Seventh-day Adventists were particularly anxious to avoid the threatened draft which would involve Sabbathkeepers, James White participated heartily in the matter of raising funds from which a liberal bonus should be paid to volunteers. While as a rule our brethren were conscientiously noncombatant, yet they felt it to be their duty to join heartily in raising money for the payment of the bonus offered to volunteers who had no religious scruples against army service.

James White and other leading Adventists attended, and took part in a number of mass meetings of Battle Creek citizens, where there was free discussion of the various activities in behalf of the war, but particularly the problem of furnishing the quota of men, if possible, without the necessity of the draft. He made it clear that his Sabbath-keeping brethren had not refrained from volunteering because they were cowards, or ease-loving. Though they were generally poor, they would willingly contribute as freely as the well-to-do.

James White would relate to his wife some of his experiences in these mass meetings. Several of his associates would appoint him as their representative to offer their pledges to the fund at the most opportune time. So he would say in the meeting, “In behalf of my friend, A. B. who is subject to the draft, I am authorized to subscribe _____ dollars. Also in behalf of my friend, C. D., who is not subject to the draft, but who is willing to share the burden of the bonus fund, I am authorized to subscribe _____ dollars.”

On October 20, 1862, a large war meeting was held in Battle Creek “to take the preliminary steps necessary to fill up the quota of men due from this city under the call of the Government for 600,000 men.” The audience voted down the proposal of a committee to recommend a bounty of $100.00 for each volunteer, and substituted an offer of $200.00 in its place. A committee of nine was chosen to raise funds, among whom were at least two Sabbathkeepers, J. P. Kellogg and Elder James White, representing the second and third Battle Creek Wards. (Battle Creek Journal, Oct. 24, 1862.)

As the war progressed, this procedure was questioned by some. His attitude and that of other leading brethren was plainly expressed in reply to a number of inquiries received by Elder James White “as to whether it was right to contribute to raise local bounties for the purpose of encouraging enlistments.” To this the answer was given:

We would say we think it is, and have done so in Battle Creek.— Review and Herald, Aug. 30, 1864.

(to be continued: much more to come!)

And I can trust"

• Members

Great stuff OA

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

OA Thank you so much for posting this information.

for those, like me, who has not read it for a very long time it is refreshing ...

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I absolutely support sending the neighbors kid to war if it will help keep our Adventist young people out of the war! And I'd contribute to a fund to get the neighbors kids motivated too enlist. :)

I think Jesus would agree, His comment might have been, "Let the dead bury their dead".

Counsel to Adventist regarding military service:

"In the army they cannot obey the truth and at the same time obey the requirements of their officers. There would be continual violation of conscience. Worldly men are governed by worldly principles. . . . But God’s people cannot be governed by these motives. . . . "

White, A. L., "Ellen G. White: The Progressive Years, 1862-1876" (Vol. 2) pg 49

Quote:
I absolutely support sending the neighbors kid to war if it will help keep our Adventist young people out of the war!

Of what value is your truth when you would gladly send others to die in your place?

I absolutely support sending the neighbors kid to war if it will help keep our Adventist young people out of the war! And I'd contribute to a fund to get the neighbors kids motivated too enlist.

You would cause others to be killed, (murder) just to save Adventists?

And I can trust"

James and Ellen White provided funds for the "neighbor" to enlist, so Adventist didn't have to. Are you calling them a murder? God, at times, commanded the Israelites to kill men, women and children in certain battles. To spare no one. Would you call God a murderer as well?

At this time in history every State, County and City had to meet a certain quota of men who would volunteer (enlist) for military service. The common practice was to offer cash to those who would enlist, in order to meet the quota. Anyone could offer such cash, the neighbor, the church, an Adventist, the Mayor (so his son would not have to serve), anyone. As long as the community met the quota, the Government didn't care how they did it or who enlisted. BUT, if they didn't meet the quota, someone would be drafted. Those that took the money were mercenaries, hired guns, they chose their way, no one forced them.

I will not question the Creator on what He does and why He does it. He is the ruler of this earth. He alone will determine when a group or people have filled their cup of iniquity. Destroying a city or the earth as He see's fit. He will decide when their probation is up and action will be taken. When the dead will bury their dead, when that group or people will be food for worms, walking (spiritually) dead men. That might well be your "neighbor". We are told the Civil War was God punishing America for it's sin of slavery. And the North was just as guilty as the South for allowing it to continue. This was a war brought about by God Himself, Americas cup of iniquity had reached a point where it could no longer be tolerated.

As time went on, it became more difficult to fund this as the cost went increasingly higher. Adventists were told (by the pioneers, the church) they had an OBLIGATION to mortgage their own property to provide funds for the church to carry on this work. A system of offerings were setup and Adventist were expected to offer a monthly amount to the church for this work. The church was quickly running out of cash!

Finally the National Draft was put into law. EVERY able bodied man between the ages of 20 and 45 were compelled to serve. BUT, there was a way out. You could PAY $300 and avoid military duty. Another option was a new law recognizing non-combatants (another example of the church involved in politics, who fought hard for this law). For those who couldn't come up with $300 they served as medics and other positions as non-combatants. IF, they met the requirements. Like membership in a recognized official organization, such as the Seventh-day Adventist church.

Ellen White saw the battle of Manasas in vision and gave a fascinating report of the confict. How God directed an angel to cause the North to fall back, retreat, to save them from themselves. While many died, many more WOULD have died and the North would have suffered an even more terrible loss. But God is tempered in His justice. It was His design the South would loose, but the North would pay a heavy price for their part in the sin of slavery.

OA Thank you so much for posting this information.

for those, like me, who has not read it for a very long time it is refreshing ...

Thanks Naomi. I agree, it is "refreshing" to contemplate these things and how the brethren handled the difficulties and challenges of war in the past. This provides us with valuable insight and guidance for current issues in the wars and conflicts of this, our current day, and as well for the future.

There is lots more that I will be posting on this when time permits, hopefully later tonight. peace

And I can trust"

James and Ellen White provided funds for the "neighbor" to enlist, so Adventist didn't have to. Are you calling them a murder? God, at times, commanded the Israelites to kill men, women and children in certain battles. To spare no one. Would you call God a murderer as well?

Stay tuned Club V12. I will be posting more on this soon. peace

And I can trust"

It's a good thread OA, very interesting history. Payment of some kind to avoid service during the civil war reminds me of a bunch of different ways folks got out of the Viet Nam war. If you had enough money, there were ways out it.

Imagine most folks in the civil war, $300 might as well have been a million dollars. And few would have qualified for non-combatant status. The "poor" were the first to go....

War is a horrible, destructive thing.

That said it is probably the most consistant thing besides procreation on this planet. History is built on it as is the future. The Bible is full of it, most great historical writings are filled with it. King David, a man much loved by the Biblical God was a warrior as well as a poet.

My oldest son is considering joining the Army, some of my best friends are currently serving or have served. My son will have my fullest support if he chooses that as a carreer path. Of course I will worry and be concerned. But I think it is an honourable and needed profession.

I hope for the day when mankind will be able to settle disputes without weapons, but until that day arrives we need people willing to put their lives on the line for freedom and justice. While they give up a lot of their own, many many people have died to give us the right to freely express our opinions on the matter. Whatever your stance on it we should always do it with the utmost respect for those lives given to give us those rights.

Naturally as the Civil War crisis developed, the members of the church looked to the leaders, particularly to James and Ellen White, for some pronouncement regarding how the new and perplexing situations should be met.

This alone is an enlightening peek into past SDA history. Someone finally remembered that James White was more than just Ellen White's husband.

• Administrators

Quote:
My oldest son is considering joining the Army, some of my best friends are currently serving or have served. My son will have my fullest support if he chooses that as a carreer path. Of course I will worry and be concerned. But I think it is an honourable and needed profession

EC I applaud you for your support (if needed) of your son's choice.

War is a dreadful thing, but as in Bible times, it is often unavoidable. My two granddaughters and grand-son-in-laws are Marines. It is not what I would have chosen for them but am very proud of their commitment and accomplishments.

It is what it is .........

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

thumbsup EC; a short while ago when you and I were having another discussion, you said to me: "Once in a while I come up with something really good;" and this is certainly one of those times.

And I can trust"

First; I would like to thank EVERONE who has been posting here, I have enjoyed all the posts, and am learning lots from others here as well. I know that we are not all agreed upon with the subject of Adventists & Military Service, but as I continue with posting on some of our Church history regarding military service, I think that we will see how God took our imperfect responses to war/military service, and made out of them something to help & bless others, and lead them to Jesus.

In post #514856 - Yesterday at 03:31 AM , I left off with:

Quote:
Part 5

Chapter 4—Bounties to Encourage Enlistment

Tonight; I have several posts to make that are taken from the same book as the first few posts I made on this topic. I have never before looked into the topic of Adventists & military service; until I began this topic a few days ago; but I must say that the more I uncover; the more interesting and inspirational our history becomes:

Chapter 5—Difficulties in the Field

And so the perplexities incident to the war increased, as the rate of bounty was raised, necessitating still heavier calls of means from our own people. Reports from the workers in the field indicated difficulties in connection with the proclamation of the message.

Elder Ingraham reported the Illinois tent was laid up because “it was useless to pitch the tent in new fields while the war excitement lasts.”

In Iowa Elder J. H. Waggoner and B. F. Snook were arrested under martial law, and detained till they secured a certificate from the county judge “setting forth their place of residence, their present occupation and calling. The Judge advised them to repair immediately to their homes, as they would be daily more and more liable to troubles and difficulties.” From Rochester, New York, Elder Cornell reported:

The war excitement was so great we had to adjourn for two nights. Our tent was used for the war meetings. I never saw such an excitement as there is here in Rochester. The streets are blocked up with the tents of recruiting officers. The stores are all closed up 3 to 6, P.M., and all are trying to induce men to enlist. War meetings every night.— Review and Herald, Aug. 26, 1862.

Yet notwithstanding the difficulties attending the holding of public efforts, there were compensating conditions. The troubles and perplexities made the hearts of our brethren sober. They sought the Lord more earnestly, were more zealous in missionary activity in the communities where they lived, and the Lord blessed them with many souls.

And I can trust"

Chapter 6—Facing the Draft

The year 1862 witnessed continued and unexplained reversals for the Northern forces and more and more men were needed. Up to this time the Union army was supplied entirely with men recruited on an enlistment basis. Seventh-day Adventists with their Sabbath-keeping and their non-combatant views had not enlisted and this led some onlookers to question their loyalty to the government. Wrote Ellen White:

The attention of many was turned to Sabbath-keepers, because they manifested no greater interest in the war, and did not volunteer.— Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 356.

And she commented:

There was need of moving with wisdom to turn away the suspicions excited against Sabbath-keepers. We should act with great caution. “If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.” We can obey this admonition, and not sacrifice one principle of our faith. Satan and his host are at war with commandment-keepers, and will work to bring them into trying positions. They should not, by lack of discretion, bring themselves there.— Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 356 (January, 1863).

All could see that a draft was inevitable and not far away. How should Seventh-day Adventists relate themselves to the draft when it came, was the question in the minds of nearly all.

At this juncture, in an attempt to give guidance to those who found it difficult to reach a conclusion, Elder White published in the Review of August 12, 1862, an editorial entitled “The Nation.” Here, after stating reasons why Seventh-day Adventists were in sympathy with the cause of the government in the war that was then being fought, and why they could not conscientiously volunteer for service, he says, speaking of a possible draft by the government:

The position which our people have taken relative to the perpetuity and sacredness of the law of God contained in the ten commandments, is not in harmony with all the requirements of war. The fourth precept of that law says, “Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy;” the sixth says, “Thou shall not kill.” But in the case of drafting, the government assumes the responsibility of the violation of the law of God, and it would be madness to resist.

He who would resist until, in the administration of military law, he was shot down, goes too far, we think, in taking the responsibility of suicide. We are at present enjoying the protection of our civil and religious rights, by the best government under heaven. . . . It is Christlike to honor every good law of our land. Said Jesus, “Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s.” Matt. 22:21. Those who despise civil law, should at once pack up and be off for some spot on God’s foot-stool where there is no civil law.

When it shall come to this, that civil enactments shall be passed and enforced to drive us from obedience to the law of God, to join those who are living in rebellion against the government of Heaven, see Rev. xiii, 15-17, then it will be time to stand our chances of martyrdom. But for us to attempt to resist the laws of the best government under heaven, which is now struggling to put down the . . . rebellion, . . . we repeat it, would be madness.

Those who are loyal to the government of Heaven, true to the constitution and laws of the Ruler of the universe, are the last men to “sneak” off to Canada, or to Europe, or to stand trembling in their shoes for fear of a military draft.

This article caused in some quarters a storm of criticism, the nature of which may be inferred from the following, printed in the Review two weeks later:

Several brethren refer to our remarks under this caption (The Nation), two weeks since, in rather a feverish style. We invite them to read the article again, and be sure they understand our position before opposing it. Hold! brethren. This is no time for Christian gentlemen to give way to feelings of prejudice, and virtually charge us with teaching Sabbath-breaking and murder. You had better all go to God with this matter, and secure to yourselves a humble, teachable spirit; then if any of you are drafted, and choose to have a clinch with Uncle Sam rather than to obey, you can try it.

We shall not contend with you, lest some of you non-resistants get up a little war before you are called upon to fight for your country. Any well-written articles, calculated to shed light upon our duty as a people in reference to the present war, will receive prompt attention.— Review and Herald, Aug. 26, 1862.

There followed through the columns of the Review a free discussion of the questions raised regarding the duty of Sabbath-keepers in the face of a draft, with the result that when the issue was finally reached there was unanimity of action. The divergence of views for a time, however, is indicated in a notice on the back page of the Review for September 9, 1862, to the effect that James White would be unable to meet certain appointments “in consequence of the sickly season, war excitement, fear of the Indians (doubtless groundless), excited feelings over our article entitled ‘The Nation,’ and the General Conference so near.”

The general attitude of the brethren toward government requirements and the war was reflected by H. E. Carver in his response to James White’s position as he set it forth in the Review:

We owe an allegiance to the government under which we live. We are bound to sustain the government until the government shall require us to disobey God, then we must not hesitate as to which we shall serve. . . . I trust the Lord will save us from this great trial, but if the trial must come, I pray God for wisdom and strength to glorify Him by keeping His commandments. — Review and Herald, Oct. 21, 1862.

And I can trust"

Chapter 7—Instruction Through the Spirit of Prophecy

At this juncture the church received counsel through the Spirit of prophecy. In January, 1863, “Testimony for the Church,” No. 9, was advertised in the Review, with the statement that it contained instruction regarding “the war, and our duty in relation to it.”

This was not the first testimony article making reference to the Civil War, but it was the first to give specific counsel in regard to the draft, enlistment, etc. An article entitled “The North and the South” (Vol. 1, pp. 253-260), published a year earlier (January, 1862), helped to clarify in the minds of Seventh-day Adventists the true issues of the war. And there was a second article which followed entitled “Slavery and the War” presenting the vision of August 3, 1861.

But it was in this chapter, “The Rebellion,” published in January, 1863, and now found in Testimonies, Volume 1, pages 355-368, that entered into a discussion of the draft that seemed inevitable. It was revealed to Mrs. White that God held the nation accountable for the sin of slavery, and that both the North and the South were being punished. Of the final outcome of the war she said:

God is not with the South, and He will punish them dreadfully in the end. . . . I saw that God would not give the Northern army wholly into the hands of a rebellious people, to be utterly destroyed by their enemies. . . . I saw that both the South and the North were being punished. In regard to the South, I was referred to Deut. 32:35-37: “To me belongeth vengeance and recompense: their foot shall slide in due time; for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste.”— Testimonies, Vol. 1, pp. 359, 365, 368.

Regarding some who were boldly asserting that they would die rather than submit to the draft, and who had criticized the position taken by James White and other leaders, the testimony declared:

I saw that those who have been forward to talk so decidedly about refusing to obey a draft, do not understand what they are talking about. Should they really be drafted, and, refusing to obey, be threatened with imprisonment, torture, or death, they would shrink, and then find that they had not prepared themselves for such an emergency. They would not endure the trial of their faith. What they thought to be faith, was only fanatical presumption.— Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 357.

The following most excellent caution was given against maintaining a boastful confident attitude as to how a future crisis would be met:

Those who would be best prepared to sacrifice even life, if required, rather than place themselves in a position where they could not obey God, would have the least to say. They would make no boast. They would feel deeply and meditate much, and their earnest prayers would go up to Heaven for wisdom to act and grace to endure. Those who feel that in the fear of God they cannot conscientiously engage in this war, will be very quiet, and when interrogated will simply state what they are obliged to say in order to answer the inquirer, and then let it be understood that they have no sympathy with the Rebellion.— Testimonies, Vol. 1, p. 357.

Jealousy and lack of unity among the leaders of the Northern army was declared in this testimony to be largely responsible for the long protraction of the struggle and for many of the losses of the Federal forces. 3

And I can trust"

We are at present enjoying the protection of our civil and religious rights, by the best government under heaven. . . . It is Christlike to honor every good law of our land. But for us to attempt to resist the laws of the best government under heaven, which is now struggling to put down the . . . rebellion, . . . we repeat it, would be madness.

Those who are loyal to the government of Heaven, true to the constitution and laws of the Ruler of the universe, are the last men to “sneak” off to Canada, or to Europe, or to stand trembling in their shoes for fear of a military draft.

Wow!! Did he really say this? And no reproof from the prophet? The best government under heaven?? Twice!! And here I've been told that we were no better than any other normal genocidal,enslaving,xenophobic,war mongering,imperialistic, hypocritical nation of Christians.I like our early SDA fathers worldview better.

So far there's been no open condemnation of either the non-necessity or the immorality of this war or of war itself.150 years later I think we have no idea as to the seriousness of the situation.Good stuff,OA, keep going!