ClubAdventist is back!

What next?

Gerr

• Moderators

Sins have been confessed. Wrongs righted. Elders have been called and anointing done. That's been over a year ago. No pain relief in sight. Traditional and alternative medicine have not provided relief. MANY people have been praying. What more can you say to someone in this fix and is discouraged?

• Administrators

Chronic pain... ewww.

One can say that God does not waste a single experience. The time we need faith is when it seems like God is not there. That is what faith is.

The DVD I watched recently, the one about Grieving and CS Lewis, covers that. To these people, during the shock and midst of their pain and sorrow was when they did NOT know where God was. But as time wore on, they were able to gain some perspective as to the "why".

And then, there is no promise that we will, on this earth, EVER know the "why".

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

How about thanking God for the pain? I understand how that would be the last thing someone wants to do. We don't want to thank God for bad, we want it to STOP.

One time I was in a really bad situation where someone hated me for a certain reason and was jeopardizing my living situation and job. Then one thing after another started going wrong for me. I also went through the list, but to no avail. Finally I got so frustrated not knowing the why, I said ok, devil. I'll get you but good. Go ahead and hit me any way you can and every time you do I'll give God a $100. And I did.

I don't remember when it stopped but in hindsight I now know why it was happening. God was showing that lady that bad things do happen for no reason whatsoever, and that I had no more caused what had happened in my childhood, than what was happening then.

This last bad time I couldn't escape from and a friend reminded me to thank God for what was happening. I did and added, now work Your will in me. It got to where I didn't really want that bad to stop happening.

We don't know why God allows bad things to happen but thanking Him for it will give a variety of results. (Ellen White was in pain a lot also.)

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Sins have been confessed. Wrongs righted. Elders have been called and anointing done. That's been over a year ago. No pain relief in sight. Traditional and alternative medicine have not provided relief. MANY people have been praying. What more can you say to someone in this fix and is discouraged?

Nothing - But I LOVE U.

If you find there IS something more - let me know.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Thanks, Gerry, for starting this. We may all face a situation like this one day.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Members

This bothers me....for some inexplicable reason....

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo

This bothers me....for some inexplicable reason....

I think I know where you are headed. And if so - with good reason - I think I can find a way to agree. Not sure this is the time or place. But it does require some thought.

thumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

How about thanking God for the pain?

That's one of the most difficult things I've ever done! But I have also suggested this. The person can't see or understand it.

I have been in the situation myself of suffering chronic pain, from bone spurs in my left hip and heel. Prescription drugs eased the pain somewhat, but my no means eliminated it. I wasn't anointed or anything. But when the pain got so bad I couldn't work, I'd lie on the couch for several days until the pain eased. Each time, I'd pray for the pain to go away, and nothing happened. But after however many days with no relief at all, I'd finally stop asking God to take the pain away, and instead began praying that He would help me to do what I had to do in spite of the pain, and to help me honor and glorify Him no matter what. Then the pain would ease to the point where I could get up and get back to work. I didn't pray for that reason, I really meant what I said, but that is how God always answered when I finally surrendered it all to Him and decided I only wanted to love and serve Him in spite of it.

After several years of this, when I no longer could take the drug that usually made the situation bearable, or others, I put it all in God's hands. The first morning, I sat in my prayer chair after breakfast and asked God to take it away if it was His will, but if not, help me to get through this day, and glorify and honor Him in spite of my misery. In about 1/2 hour, the pain disappeared completely. The next day, I again awoke in pain and did the same thing, with the same results. After that the pain did not come back as a regular issue, though I've had rare days through the years when there was pain in my hip again, but nothing like back then. And in fact, it's been several years since I've had any pain there at all.

I don't know if this kind of prayer will "work" for your friend. First off, you have to really mean it. If you're just saying the words in hope that it will get the result you want, you can't fool God. But also, God may have a different plan for that person than He had for me. What I do know is that the person does need to surrender to God's will, maybe thank Him for the pain, or at least ask Him to help them glorify, honor, serve, and LOVE Him in spite of it. Then perhaps, he/she will begin to understand the reason for it. But if not, at least he/she will be in a position for God to work with him/her for whatever good purpose He has in mind.

God wants us to trust EVERYTHING to Him, and trust Him no matter what happens, even through the greatest of physical suffering. A desire for an easy life, or freedom from want or pain is idolatry, self-love. We MUST be freed from ALL idols, or we will never be fit for His kingdom. Self will still be on the throne. So He WILL touch every one of our idols and force us to confront them and give them up, BECAUSE He loves us. He's done this with me, through loss of my health (my greatest idol throughout my life, even before I was an Adventist), then in the past 5 years, after I had substituted the idol of physical fitness in place of health, I have had one injury after another, each one leaving permanent impairment that makes it impossible for me to ever achieve the fitness I enjoyed before the first injury. But it's OK. I'm learning to depend on Him and make the most of my situation, and to be content, living the life He has chosen for me to the best of my ability. I'll be whole again, for eternity, after He comes to take me Home. Then, in time, the sufferings of this life will seem like little more than a dream.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Don't know where your friend is at -

But have you tried her punching a bag with the face of Jesus on it?

While this might be an unusual approach. One of the steps she must go through is anger. And if this step is not fully accomplished - it might be hard to go onto higher levels of recovery.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Wow- thanks for sharing that, Catherine! Why NOT?

If I could venture a guess, I would like to add to Pam's note. Is there ANYTHING we can do to ensure anything from God? or get into His good graces somehow with a sort of checklist? I kinda doubt it... It's all by His mercy. We know that He loves us every one as we love our children and sometimes life just sucks! It's painful, lonely or hard beyond measure.

I don't know if there are words that really help one walk a path that one is called to walk. We can offer to join the friend through prayer or being open to what the need is, but other than listening and being in empathy, what can we do?

God can heal. He can comfort. He can teach. He can strengthen us. But who gets what might be the question. There are just times when we are not in control.

Quote:
There are just times when we are not in control.

And Praise God for that Gail.

For I truly don't want to be in control. During the times I HAVE been in control - it hasn't really turned out well.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

Quote:
There are just times when we are not in control.

And Praise God for that Gail.

For I truly don't want to be in control. During the times I HAVE been in control - it hasn't really turned out well.

You and me both!!

Originally Posted By: teresaq(sda)
How about thanking God for the pain?

That's one of the most difficult things I've ever done! But I have also suggested this. The person can't see or understand it.

Back in the 70's the pastor recommended this little book about the different ways we view God. One was as a magic genie. But God isn't our personal little genie, rub the bottle, get our wish. I have known that cerebral but not in heart. I can't count the times I have tried to manipulate God one way or other.

Thanking God can bring various results, but not when used as a manipulation tool.

http://clubadventist.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/527575/A_Magical_Incantation.html#Post527575

Sometimes the situation changes.

Sometimes we just get peace.

Sometimes we don't want it to stop because we are learning true communion with God.

Is there ANYTHING we can do to ensure anything from God? or get into His good graces somehow with a sort of checklist? I kinda doubt it... It's all by His mercy.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

How is it going Gerry?