ClubAdventist is back!

What do you think of this theory?

Woody

Back in elementary school - my teacher had an interesting rule.

And that was that if even ONE student misbehaved - ALL must suffer.

My theory was that this only produced gang violence. As somehow we were suppose to monitor and control ALL of the diverse students in our class.

I thought that was the role of the teacher. Why put the young immature students in control?

This is something that has plagued my mind for many a year. Not sure if they still use this approach anymore. But it sure makes me wonder.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

There are some teachers that still do that.

It goes into the work world too where bosses do that as well.

In my experience it leads to nothing but an unhealthy enviroment and a back stabbing resentment.

But it is supported Biblically I guess.

Two people sinned and all that follow must suffer for it.

Very interesting point EC - I suppose it might be supported by scripture. I have to admit that I don't like hearing that. However - was that not the job of God to do. I mean -- we on earth are not God and so should we attempt to deal as He did? I hardly think we have the same wisdom as He did.

I believe in Hematology.

But Woody, if God created us in his image, and we are to follow his lead, then should we not do as he would do?

Redwood, it might interest you to know, that type of teaching still goes on...it's not predominate in the US because we support that individual spirit...but in other cultures, ie Japan, Asia...it's common....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

George Bernard Shaw

Redwood, it might interest you to know, that type of teaching still goes on...it's not predominate in the US because we support that individual spirit...but in other cultures, ie Japan, Asia...it's common....

Now that's interesting. Good comment. Now I better understand the genesis of this old fashioned idea.

I believe in Hematology.

But Woody, if God created us in his image, and we are to follow his lead, then should we not do as he would do?

I think that some things are best left to God. WE just might not have the same ability, judgment and role as Him.

I believe in Hematology.

My theory was that this only produced gang violence. As somehow we were suppose to monitor and control ALL of the diverse students in our class.

Another perspective: Instead of monitoring everyone else's behavior, a well-behaved student might monitor their own behavior all the more--not wanting to disappoint their teacher nor their classmates.

Originally Posted By: Woody

Another perspective: Instead of monitoring everyone else's behavior, a well-behaved student might monitor their own behavior all the more--not wanting to disappoint their teacher nor their classmates.

Often those who misbehave - really don't care what ANYone thinks about their behavior

I believe in Hematology.

There are some teachers that still do that.

It goes into the work world too where bosses do that as well.

In my experience it leads to nothing but an unhealthy enviroment and a back stabbing resentment.

But it is supported Biblically I guess.

Two people sinned and all that follow must suffer for it.

Woody, you have a real good point and this same type of thing goes on in our prisons today. The legal system forces gang type of mentality in that the 'shot caller' for each race is the gang leader.

No, it is not bibical as each person is responsible for their own sin. Enoch did not have to pay the penalty for Adam's sin---did he? The reason why Jesus died was for Adam's penalty for HIS sin, not mine or yours. You and I would not be here if Jesus had not stepped in to take this penalty. That is why you and I are responsible for our own sin.

Yes. I can hear the teacher now - she comes in and says "I am disappointed in you all". And I am thinking - Man, SHE is the one who has contributed to the mess we are in.

I believe in Hematology.

Often those who misbehave - really don't care what ANYone thinks about their behavior

It would be presumption (on my part) to declare what those who misbehave really care or don't care about. I was just offering another theory of what might go on in the minds of those who normally behave.

• Members

All those that have served in the military will have gone through this. If one acts up all are punished. Not sure if this kind of discipline is for everyone. There is a reason for it, and it does work.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Yes. I can imagine how it would work out for the military. Not sure that would transfer to grade school though.

I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

don't know about grade school but worked really with my children. If one didn't follow through the other two would make sure whatever the situation; it was done ... so they didn't miss out. It also works pretty good in some sales situations.

isn't that what a community, society, etc is all about. If everyone doesn't take responsibility for the common good the entity(ties) will become disfunctional.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

don't know about grade school but worked really with my children. If one didn't follow through the other two would make sure whatever the situation; it was done ... so they didn't miss out. It also works pretty good in some sales situations.

isn't that what a community, society, etc is all about. If everyone doesn't take responsibility for the common good the entity(ties) will become disfunctional.

Hey, when I was in grade school and academy I was one of those who was causing the trouble. I had one incident in tenth grade where a group of us guys (living at boarding school)snuck out of our dorm at 3am and TPed the girls dorm. The next morning at breakfast they announced that they would cancel the entire Christmas banquet (a major event at the time)if the guilty culprits weren't identified pronto!If it hadn't have been for the three girls who woke up and saw us outside their window that night this secret would still be unrevealed.

Originally Posted By: Naomi

Hey, when I was in grade school and academy I was one of those who was causing the trouble. I had one incident in tenth grade where a group of us guys (living at boarding school)snuck out of our dorm at 3am and TPed the girls dorm. The next morning at breakfast they announced that they would cancel the entire Christmas banquet (a major event at the time)if the guilty culprits weren't identified pronto!If it hadn't have been for the three girls who woke up and saw us outside their window that night this secret would still be unrevealed.

LOLLOL

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

All those that have served in the military will have gone through this. If one acts up all are punished. Not sure if this kind of discipline is for everyone. There is a reason for it, and it does work.

Originally Posted By: Naomi

Good points pkrause and Naomi. I was thinking about Army Basic training, this was used for the first couple of weeks to build team work, where we would help each other to make it through as a team and to put peer pressure to be compliant. But the punishments were only things such as doing more pushups, which we needed to do more of anyway to prepare for the fitness test and to get into shape.

Bu the way EC, I do not understand Mrs. White or Adventism to believe in original sin. Yes, we developed the sinful nature, or a disposition to think we are for ourselves by making less of the outside world, and thus we are sinners because we have this selfish attitude, however this is a natural bend towards sin and while we suffer at the results of others people's sins, we are responsible for our own, not Adam and Eve's. And the trinity bore all our sins.