ClubAdventist is back!

Repeating God's name during prayer.

JeshuaB

Hello everyone I would like to ask a question.

Today after presenting a devotional for a executive meeting in which I am the Chaplin. I was told that I should not repeat God's name over and over again while praying( something along these lines ). The person also told me that it is written in the Spirit of Prophecy, where is this and can you provide it for me to see?

When I cry out to God and plead with him during my own personal prayers, I usually call his name repeatedly, it is him I am praying to and I feel connected to him when I call on his name during prayer. I don't do it out of irreverence, it's part of my normal worship to God. Am I wrong for repeating God's name repeatedly during prayer?

Sort of like, "Lord God, we come to you today Lord, to just say Lord that we love you Lord..."? I find it aesthetically irritating when I hear that sort of prayer, but if someone uses that style for personal prayer there's no problem with it. God doesn't listen to the words we say, he listens to the unutterable language of our hearts.

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde

�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus

Hello everyone I would like to ask a question.

Today after presenting a devotional for a executive meeting in which I am the Chaplin. I was told that I should not repeat God's name over and over again while praying( something along these lines ). The person also told me that it is written in the Spirit of Prophecy, where is this and can you provide it for me to see?

When I cry out to God and plead with him during my own personal prayers, I usually call his name repeatedly, it is him I am praying to and I feel connected to him when I call on his name during prayer. I don't do it out of irreverence, it's part of my normal worship to God. Am I wrong for repeating God's name repeatedly during prayer?

Sounds like a prayer that God would be pleased with.

As far as the SOP - I don't know if what you are doing would be objected to. There might be a mention of a kind of public prayer where the person was not sincere. But that is not the case with what you have mentioned.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Sort of like, "Lord God, we come to you today Lord, to just say Lord that we love you Lord..."? I find it aesthetically irritating when I hear that sort of prayer, but if someone uses that style for personal prayer there's no problem with it. God doesn't listen to the words we say, he listens to the unutterable language of our hearts.

When I was young, we were taught to avoid "vain repetitions" of God's name in our prayers. Something like the prayers of those who pray with a rosary, or with prayer beads, etc., without really thinking about the prayer itself.

But I agree with Sivart. It's irritating to listen to such use in a public prayer, but God knows our hearts.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

J, first of all, none of us know the real name of God so that is why we just call Him God or Lord. The 'burning bush' said to call Him "I AM" because, probably, that explains it all.

Second, I would agree with those who believe saying "Lord" or "God" all the time in a prayer is somewhat distracting from the prayer itself. God knows what your are going to pray for from the beginning, so calling out what you believe is His name all the time is like saying "you know" or "aaaaa" when speaking.

Many do this because they use this to cover-up their thinking of what they really want to say. It is really a speach problem, not a prayer problem.

Personally, I enjoy a very short public prayer and to the point--that's it. I do the same with a cell phone call-keep it short and to the point.

But my personal prayers may last from the time I hit the bed to when I fall asleep--as most of the time I 'listen' (I call it that) to what I hear in my head for an answer to a question. Of course these prayers are silent so my wife can sleep.

Try making a simply outline for your public prayer and attempt to keep it within those lines. This is what I have done and it seems to help a lot. One should not make a sermon out of a prayer.

Regarding Prayer -

Martin Luther had this to say -

Few words and richness of meaning is Christian,

Many words and lack of meaning is pagan.

vol 42 p.19-20

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Regarding Prayer -

Martin Luther had this to say -

Few words and richness of meaning is Christian,

Many words and lack of meaning is pagan.

vol 42 p.19-20

well guess Martin Luther did not know a lot of pagans....

• 2 months later...

Your question struck a chord with me. I have come across several quotations in bible and S o P; some i have underlined. One that comes to mind is Volume 2 page 581 first paragraph "Christ impressed upon His disciples the idea that their prayers should be short, expressing just what they wanted, and no more. . . . One or two minutes long is enough for any ordinary prayer."

The other point is the repetitious use of God's name. I would use the "Lord's Prayer" for an example. Even Jesus' very long prayer in John 17 he only referred to the Father by name about 3 times altogether.