ClubAdventist is back!

Question for Seventh Day Adventist

MEGAMAN

See, the kind of Adventism that Megaman is describing isactly the kind I was raised in. So it is out there.

The fact that the responses to this thread have been opposed to that kind of view is a great thing imo, a great step forward.

• Moderators

See, the kind of Adventism that Megaman is describing isactly the kind I was raised in. So it is out there.

The fact that the responses to this thread have been opposed to that kind of view is a great thing imo, a great step forward.

The SDA church hasn't changed its doctrines regarding the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. We do still believe that the papal system is antichrist and that many Catholic doctrines are unbiblical, but we've NEVER taught that the Catholic people themselves are evil simply by virtue of being Catholic. In fact, the opposite is true: we believe that God has millions of honest, sincere followers of Christ in the Catholic Church. It's really essential that a clear distinction be made between condemning false doctrine and condemning people. We should always condemn false, unbiblical doctrines but we should never condemn people.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

Of course it is out there, but it has never been what the church itself has taught. There's a difference between what the Bible and the church teaches, and what some individuals may say. A lot of kids grow up thinking all kinds of errors because they don't hear accurately what people are saying, and also because they accept as truth the errors that some misinformed SDAs tell them.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

• Moderators

I would say "Papacy" in place of the "Catholic church". Saying Catholic church, for me, tends to refer to all the people. I would also point out that the Sunday law will be brought about by the protestants of our country, not the Papacy or Catholics.

The official teaching of the Roman Catholic Church is that the Church consists of the "religious," that is, the papacy, the Cardinals, the bishops, etc. Those that we call the "laity" aren't the Church. The Catholic people, or "laity," have no way of affecting significant change in the Church, either in matters of doctrine or of faith and practice. Those things come from the top, never from "the people," because the Catholic Church is not democratic. Therefore it would be inaccurate to consider the Roman Catholic Church as being made up of all of its individual, non-religious members.

Yes, it was the kind of Adventism that I inherited also. Whatever the "official" standing of the SDA church was is rather irrelevant since the members are the ones living in the neighborhoods making their comments in both the family and those neighborhoods.

I was absolutely floored when my youngest daughter, who had been manipulated from me into a "good Christian SDA home", was saying how evil my oldest daughter's husband and his family and friends were for being Catholic. And that "they knew better". Absolutely floored. Guess I had thought the church had grown out of that, but apparently not. I won't bore others with the feelings I had, and still have, about that.

I don't think denial and whitewashing of facts is really healthy.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Quote:
we should never condemn people.

Anyone from any church, who holds that Truth is definitely among the brethren. And to add to personal testimony as evidence of what "Adventists believe", I'm an Adventist of close to half a century and haven't changed my mind to this day, nor has any Adventist made effort to change my mind during that time that I can remember.

"For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."John 3:17 NKJV

"By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”"

John 13:35 NKJV

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Megaman, I do not believe that Catholic believers are evil. My husband has family members who are Catholic and I currently have a sweet friend who is a Catholic. We often ask each other to join in prayer.

Dark histories are facts and they are not hearts of people. There are evil people in the church (the Bible talks about tares) and in the world, just as there are good people in the church and in the world. God is really looking for people with a heart to follow Him and be faithful to Him. Each of us must really come to a place where we look higher than people or systems and connect with Him the Father and with His Son in a personal way.

I like olger's counsel- that of reading and studying your Bible together! I think that is a great middle ground and starting place.

:like::like:

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Gail wrote:

“Megaman, I do not believe that Catholic believers are evil. My husband has family members who are Catholic and I currently have a sweet friend who is a Catholic. We often ask each other to join in prayer.”

I fully agree with what Gail wrote. Our closest friend is a Catholic lady. She is the most Christian woman I have ever met. We do not point to her the doctrinal errors of the Catholic Church because we Adventist have our own erroneous teaching. A good example is our teaching on abortion.

Deleted- off topic- Gail

Right now, I believe that you will not find a single Christian denomination that keeps all of God’s Commandments. We all need to repent and return to the plain teaching of Scripture.

In spite of the above, if Megaman is planning to marry his fiancée, it would do well for him to study the doctrinal teachings of the Adventist Church before tying the knot.

I almost married a non Adventist girl. Had I done so, we would have had serious disagreements especially about the correct day of worship and the rearing of our children.It is best if both are members of the same religious community.