ClubAdventist is back!

Of exclusiveness and pride?

Nakewi

I have been struggling to find a way to ask this question for a long time:

My impression of Adventists (and they are not the only denomination to exhibit this behavior) is that they feel they are more special than anyone else - even other believers in Christ. That attitude has negatively impacted more non-Adventists I know than I'd care to count on this forum. Not only that, it extends even to relationships with other Adventists: that "I am right with God therefore I am better than you" attitude.

Where in scripture are we taught, by word or example, to treat other people as though they are beneath us? I don't recall a single act of Jesus that was geared toward emphasizing to people that they were less than Him, even though that is in fact the case...so it baffles me where this human attitude stems from and what it is supposed to achieve other than stoking human pride and turning others off - big time.

• Members

I guess that's why "club" also refers to a weapon...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Sorry to hear that, although there are some that fit your description. Best to remember that of the total posters on this forum who regularly post, it is only a fraction of the total registered. So by and large I would say most SDA's do not feel superior. I think a lot of that comes from the culture of having a 'prophet'. Israel exhibited some of the same behaviors.

I did not mean to suggest that posters on this forum exhibit exclusiveness, but that Adventists I encounter, in general show this. Just meant to say that those are too many to count, but their number was not the focus of my posting on this forum. Sorry if my thoughts came out the wrong way.

Hi CoAspen,

I have thought about what you said about having a prophet, but that left me even more perplexed. What is the function of a prophet? To lead people to God, no? To show them where they are going wrong or displeasing Him, no? To instruct them in God's way.

How then can 'having a prophet' lead to anything but acknowledgment of our nothingness before God and our inability to do anything, even please Him, of our own strength? That just seems a paradox to me.

How could the words and example of an Isaiah, a Jeremiah, an Ezekiel or a John the Baptist inspire people to any culture other than true humility and acknowledgement that even our righteousness is no better than 'filthy rags'?

What is the fruit of prophecy if not repentance and continual soul-searching as we strive to please God?

My view of having a prophet is similar to your description. It is issue of how we listen, to the words or to the meaning of the message contained in it. Since I believe the current phropet is pointing back to God, who is available to everyone, why would anyone 'feel' superior?

Nakewi,

I would agree with your comment. I have seen this attitude among SDA's as well as Mormons. Both groups have a prophet, SDA's think that they are the remnant, or in the case of Mormons, the restoration of the true church. I have known many wonderful SDA's through the years. But that attitude is there, sometimes in a subtle form.

I agree. More often than not we can be completely unaware of it. In my opinion it is revealed when we feel we have to defend the church or doctrines at the expense of the people we feel are challenging one, the other, or both.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Yes, defensiveness can creep into conversations at times. My experience was not when defending their belief, more so comments made amongst themselves regarding other Christians. It was as if Christ wasn't enough, or they were deceived because they didn't go to church on Sabbath.

If Jesus isn't everything, then the plot has been lost. Everything points to Christ...the Lamb of God.

Yes, I see, understand, and have witnessed the same. Which does not make me guiltless either. Easier to see in others. Harder in meself.

• Administrators

Amen!! It's that plank and sliver thing :)

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I have been struggling to find a way to ask this question for a long time:

My impression of Adventists (and they are not the only denomination to exhibit this behavior) is that they feel they are more special than anyone else -

You did a good job in asking this question...wish everyone was as polite as you when asking about this kind of subject...I have actually seen this kind of thing too, but I would just add that it is evident that more than just Christian groups, or Adventists are guilty of what you describe. Atleast that has been my personal experience.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Administrators

LOL Love it Oger

• Administrators

You did a good job in asking this question...wish everyone was as polite as you when asking about this kind of subject...I have actually seen this kind of thing too, but I would just add that it is evident that more than just Christian groups, or Adventists are guilty of what you describe. Atleast that has been my personal experience.

We as humans seem to need to put down any who do not look like, or belive as ourselves. It's as if we need to put down others in an effort to elevate ourselves. That is why it is so important to keep our eye on the cross

I think that saying "everybody does it" tends to minimize and divert attention from an uncomfortable subject.

I guess that's why "club" also refers to a weapon...
I just caught that. Pretty good point! :)

• 3 weeks later...

LOL Love it Oger

Are you sure that's the correct spelling?

Should it not be "Ogre"??

bwink

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________