ClubAdventist is back!

Pay attention to NYC in 2013

abelisle

• Members

Seems like the big push to evangelize NYC is all over the official church media organs. It's a special concern of Ted Wilson since he spent some time here in his youth leading out in an urban ministries program (forgot its name) and got his PhD from NYU.

My concern is whether this big push will attract any indigenous NYC'ers? Right now the church in NYC is nearly completely black and hispanic. Whites are a negligible portion (nearly non-existent) of the overall membership.

So, why doesn't Adventism appeal to native New Yorkers? and what specific plans, if any, are in place to correct this? (my pastor and others in administration tell me there are none)

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

My concern is whether this big push will attract any indigenous NYC'ers? Right now the church in NYC is nearly completely black and hispanic. Whites are a negligible portion (nearly non-existent) of the overall membership.

The Gospel doesn't attract just specific races. Perhaps the already "indiginous" members need to get off their laurels and do something.

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Members

Both of you obviously don't see the issue. Adventism doesn't appeal to any indigenous white populations in any of our urban areas in the NAD. Look at the figures.

The Gospel does reach them. Look at the non-denominational churches. The "peculiar" aspects of Adventism just has no appeal for post-moderns. But it does for less educated immigrant minorities. I wonder why?

We are our worst enemy - sad but true.

colorfulcanyon-1-1.jpg

http://abelisle.blogspot.com

Both of you obviously don't see the issue. Adventism doesn't appeal to any indigenous white populations in any of our urban areas in the NAD. Look at the figures.

The Gospel does reach them. Look at the non-denominational churches. The "peculiar" aspects of Adventism just has no appeal for post-moderns. But it does for less educated immigrant minorities. I wonder why?

I don't think it is us who "don't see the issue."

post-4001-140967454026_thumb.gif

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

Abe.

If we have to cajole and entreat someone to the point where they say "Well I guess I can join your church..." that isn't what is needed.

Conversion and self-denial is what is needed - according to Jesus Himself (Luke 9:23; Matt. 16:24; Mark 8:34).

Postmodernism is predicated on doubt. That makes them vulnerable to skepticism and narcissism. We live in a nation that is full of disillusionment. Meaninglessness comes into our lives not because we are weary of pain, but because we are weary of pleasure. People need Jesus.

The Gospel of Jesus is edgy and demanding - requiring surrender of self. It offers peace in an unpeaceful world and it comes at a cost. I don't see that we are overlooking white peoples at all - what specifically is your complaint here?

The emerging church is appealing to some postmoderns because it is the hard-line version of postmodernism. I don't see that as the answer either.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Moderators

This trend has been noticed for a while and at least back in the 1980s what I heard from church leaders was that we had found a style of preaching that appeals to those from other countries and brings about good numbers, but that it is not as sophisticated as it used to be and that we have been going for the easy baptism instead of studying the Bible on a deep enough level to be credible to the more educated.