ClubAdventist is back!

Let the Debate Begin

CGMedley

In most societies two topics are considered off-limits in polite conversation: religion and politics. But now as we head toward one of the most contentious political campaigns in recent memory, both religion and politics are destined to be fodder for some heated and shrill debates. Read more.

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2012-1517&page=6

• Administrators

Quote:
In an age of nonstop chatter and bombast, an attitude of humility, grace, and loving service will accomplish more than our most finely crafted arguments and debates.

Excellent article!

Good advice to live by ............

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Members

Yes an excellent article.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Jesus told His disciples, “When I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself” (John 12:32). He didn’t say, “You must quote Scripture like me,” or “You must argue like me.” He said, “You must lift me up—by doing the same things I did when I was on earth.”

Yes, we’re heading into a season when people will say all manner of inflammatory and outrageous things about this candidate or that, about this issue or that. But only those who serve their communities unselfishly will demonstrate their bona fides in ways that resonate with the people they hope to reach. In the process they will reflect the character of Christ, who said, “I am among you as one who serves” (Luke 22:27).

In an age of nonstop chatter and bombast, an attitude of humility, grace, and loving service will accomplish more than our most finely crafted arguments and debates.

What I am going to say here is not to criticize but to share something I have noticed. So please bear with me and please weigh in on this.

The conclusion of this article is:

"You must lift Me up--by doing the same things I did when I was on earth."

This is nothing short of saying that we must live His life. To do the same things that He did on earth is nothing short of living His life. What is so interesting to me is that lately, on this forum, the very same conclusion was drawn from statements like these ones:

"When a soul receives Christ, he receives power to life the life of Christ," and "The life of Christ on earth was a perfect expression of God's law." C.O.L.314-5.

This is the very message of this article.

Yet, I don't remember anybody agreeing with that except for one or two. On the contrary, the reaction went from disbelief to ridicule. On this forum, those who believe and teach that living such a life is possible are often labeled "perfectionists" or "legalists".

Isn't that a fact?

Yet this brother who wrote this article in the Adventist Review arrived at the same conclusion and surprisingly it is a good article!

But what is even more interesting is that this article from this brother says nothing about the how to live this kind of life. The article does not emphasize in any way, shape, or form how we can get to the place where we can do those things Jesus did while He was on earth.

However, on this forum, the how was presented in clear, distinct lines from an inspired source. It was clearly shown that it is by making it our life business to look to Jesus and to accept His merits which it is our privilege to claim. That unless we did this, we could not be saved. In other words we could never do the things that Jesus did while on this earth and therefore we could never be among the people as those who serve, that is, become co-laborers with God and therefore we could never lift Him up!

What say you?

sky :)

"Unless he makes it his life business to behold the uplifted Saviour, and by faith to accept the merits which it is his privilege to claim, the sinner can no more be saved than Peter could walk upon the water unless he kept his eyes fixed steadily upon Jesus." Testimonies to Ministers,93.

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.

I don't necessarily agree with the thrust of this formula. Is an attitude of humility,grace, and loving service necessary? Yes. Is it a more effective replacement for finely crafted arguments? Hardly.Does the humble attitude refrain from engaging in debates on truth? Does service automatically give one the legitimacy to be accepted? Can a lifetime of humble service persuade everyone of the truth? James Dobson has been an example of such an attitude as has been Mother Teresa,the Apostle Paul,Stephen,Jesus,Ellen White,ect...ect...and each has been labeled by their opponents as the opposite of what they have exhibited.It has been suggested that Jesus always seemed to take the middle road. This is a nice thought but untrue. Jesus always took the road of truth no matter what the fallout or who it offended.He always did so in a redemptive way When nice people take moral stands that are in direct opposition to the Word of God their views need to be exposed for what they are. This almost always results in their being lambasted by their opponents and sympathizers as being unChristian.Two different sets of rules.It's almost a no win situation for truth. Almost, but not in the eternal judgment of things. In the face of the issues passion should be expected, disrespect should be shunned.

Doug, I agree with what you stated about Jesus. Very true.

There is room for debate but it must be done with a humble attitude and with the purpose of wining souls to the truth, as this commentary explains:

CONTENTIONS WITH A PURPOSE (2 Tim.2:11-14 quoted)

"What does it mean? It means that there may be contentions over words and over ideas, but they should be to some purpose, they should be to break down the stubbornness and the opposition that is in human hearts in order that their spirits may be softened and subdued, so that when the seeds of truth are dropped into the soil of the heart, they may take root there." EGW Bible Commentary,Vol.7,917.

sky

"The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.