ClubAdventist is back!

why is it...

rudywoofs (Pam)

• Members

that no one wanted to comment on this:

We women must remember that God has placed us subject to the husband. He is the head and our judgment and views and reasonings must agree with his if possible. If not, the preference in God’s Word is given to the husband where it is not a matter of conscience. We must yield to the head.—Letter 5, 1861. {2BIO 431.5}

I guess it's easier to ignore what doesn't "fit" one's opinions...

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

because it has little to do with how we relate to the church.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

because it has little to do with how we relate to the church.

sorry, but I don't see it that way...people are using EGW quotes to sustain their opinions about the role of women vs men in the church and elsewhere.

This is a great quote. And it isn't taken out of context or *snipped* to make it say something it doesn't.

If the quote advocated the "headship" of women, some forum fanatics would be quoting it ad nauseum - in multiple threads and in the shout box.

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Moderators

that no one wanted to comment on this:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
We women must remember that God has placed us subject to the husband. He is the head and our judgment and views and reasonings must agree with his if possible. If not, the preference in God’s Word is given to the husband where it is not a matter of conscience. We must yield to the head.—Letter 5, 1861. {2BIO 431.5}

I guess it's easier to ignore what doesn't "fit" one's opinions...

WOW!!! I've NEVER seen that quote before! I am totally shocked that my card-carrying fellow conservatives have not pounced on this before!

• Members

Great post Pam. It sure says a lot doesn't it? I thought I did see this the other day on another thread. I also thought that I did comment, but maybe not.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

That's a pretty direct statement Pam. Good find.

She repeats the Bible counsel and affirms God's placement of husband and wife, including herself.

Some have forgotten what God said to remember.

But forgetfulness is not surprising in the great falling away - it shows the world's influence upon the apple of His eye.

A remnant of men and women will restore the old paths.

Yes Pam - it is clearly talking about the husband and wife environment. But to transfer that to the church structure is a mighty big leap.

I believe in Hematology.

"Society is composed of families, and is what the heads of families make it...

the heart of the community, of the church, and of the nation, is the household."

Ministry of Healing 349.

• Moderators

Yes Pam - it is clearly talking about the husband and wife environment. But to transfer that to the church structure is a mighty big leap.

Ahem. If a woman cannot/should not be the head of ONE SMALL family, how is she going to be the head of a BIG/HUGE family (church)?

Quote:

As long as we are being 'picky'! Who speaks to our conscience? Did EGW get 'permission' from her husband in order to do her work or speak out?

Etc...etc...etc...We are back in the 'catch-22' loop, which came first..chicken or egg...etc, etc!

Enjoy everyone!!!

Etc...etc...etc...We are back in the 'catch-22' loop, which came first..chicken or egg...etc, etc!

Like your first question I think this one has already been settled. Besides,there are no Catch 22's with God.

Quote:

As long as we are being 'picky'!

Was Pam being picky for asking about it, or was EGW being picky for writing it?

Did she practice what she apparently preached?

I believe in Hematology.

CoA - if it's anything like what she wrote about regarding vegetarianism - she didn't practice it.

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

CoA - if it's anything like what she wrote about regarding vegetarianism - she didn't practice it.

So....what exactly are you trying to say regarding the things EGW wrote?

Did she mean:

A. "Do as I say/write, but not as I do" (not very ethical)

B. "It's okay not to do what I say/write, because I don't do it either." (why bother to write anything at all, then?)

C. "I don't believe in what I say/write, so you don't have to either." (combination of A and B)

D. None of the above.

It's quite comical to see the backpedaling going on when one finds evidence that goes against one's pet issues...especially when the evidence comes from the very source held up as the symbol for proof..

Really, I'm not trying to be "picky"... I only proffered the quote because it seemed so straightforward..

All is good Pam. All is good. :)

I believe in Hematology.

• Members

okay

No problem. WHat is straight forward to one is not to another. That's why we have forums. :)

I believe in Hematology.

As long as we are being 'picky'!

> Was Pam being picky for asking about it, or was EGW being picky for writing it? <

Who speaks to our conscience?

Waiting...waiting.... offtobed

You won't answer my question,CoA, but I'll answer yours even though it seems premised on a false notion. As Pam's quote clearly points out,EGW was establishing the relationship ordained by God for the effective managing of a marriage in this sinful world. She could not have used the "conscience clause" to invalidate the Biblical principle that she had previously stated. If God's Word establishes a principle then He will not contradict that principle via secret communication to one's conscience. Implying that needing permission from a husband to speak the testimony of Jesus in order to fulfill her original statement of subjection is another unnecessary strawman detour.

Originally Posted By: Woody

So....what exactly are you trying to say regarding the things EGW wrote?

Did she mean:

A. "Do as I say/write, but not as I do" (not very ethical)

B. "It's okay not to do what I say/write, because I don't do it either." (why bother to write anything at all, then?)

C. "I don't believe in what I say/write, so you don't have to either." (combination of A and B)

D. None of the above.

Say What??? Now that was a truly convoluted post...lost me! Shades of an other poster!!!

But then..I could have predicted a none straight answer to a simple question!!

peace

Originally Posted By: Ellen White

That's a pretty direct statement Pam. Good find.

She repeats the Bible counsel and affirms God's placement of husband and wife, including herself.

Some have forgotten what God said to remember.

Indeed.

That quote won't sit well with them who are trying to re-write history.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

"Society is composed of families, and is what the heads of families make it...

the heart of the community, of the church, and of the nation, is the household."

Ministry of Healing 349.

Salient.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."