ClubAdventist is back!

The Present Truth in Music

CGMedley

• Members

Great article

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Yes. I always agree with the Swedish authors.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

Yes. I always agree with the Swedish authors.

I asked a Norwegian patient of mine once what was the difference between Swedes & Norwegians. His reply was - Swedes are Norwegians with brain cells missing. :)

• Administrators

Cool! Blomstedt was a friend of my father-in-law. They grew up together in Sweden.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Now that is cool1 Tom. I did read that he was at AUC, am wondering when that was? I spent about 40 years in the area and don't recall him at all.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Great article from a professional musician, giving his opinions.

My musical preferences are classical, Big Bands (the really good bands from the 30s, 40s, 50s), easy listening, folk, blue grass (but not "country", whatever that is), and softer jazz.

All that has nothing to do with my church music preferences.

Throughout the Old Testament, the Children of Israel loudly danced in celebrations and in worship. Recall David's demonstrative dance in bringing the Ark to Jerusalem. Not all appreciated that - from that point on, his wife, Saul's daughter Micah, hated him. Even so,there are quite a few Psalms that advocate loud praise and music. Psalm 100 and the last Psalm, # 150, immediately come to mind.There are others.

All Adventists, all Christians, all Catholics, all Baptists, are alike, right? They all should be subjected to music of praise and worship of the same genre, right? Obviously not. The purpose of sacred music is to set moods, spirituality, and thinking into the proper channels. Given the individual mental and spiritual differences of all members of all churches, it should be obvious that one musical genre does not fit all.

I am usually a reserved, even stuffy, staid Baptist. However, there are times that I could easily dance in the church aisles, sprout wings, and fly away in ecstasy. Music of worship that facilitates such joyful expression of worship for some Christians should not be condemned, but encouraged by segregating us with different preferences into structured meetings,particular churches, and designated times.

Christians really should have more to condemn others about than such trivial things like musical preference. Appropriate music and song, even though spirited in volume and tempo, has its place in worship. It did in the time of David, and it still does. Spirited music is an ancient form of worship. It will not be going away.

George

JawgeFromJawja

Pro 5:18 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.

(Thank you, Lord. She is my heart and soul.)