ClubAdventist is back!

Whatcha Reading?

Michelle

I'm always looking for "new" good books to read, though honestly I don't have the time to read much anymore. I'm currently reading 2 (when I have lots of time to read, I'm usually in the middle of at least 4).

1) Teaching the Faith by Donna Habinecht and Larry Burton. Basically, this book is written for anyone who teaches children about Christ--specifically aimed at Sabbath School teachers, but usable also by school teachers and parents. A little textbook-y in feeling, it's not something to just sit down and read cover to cover. Which is why I'm also reading:

2) Jesus in Beijing. by David Aikman. My neighbor read it, several others in the Union office have read it, my DH has read it and now I've started it. Quite interesting--this guy was a reporter and Beijing bureau chief for Time magazine. He's researched Christianity in China, starting with Protestant and Catholic missionaries and coming up to current times. He tells of the house churches and of many high-profile persons in China who are becoming Christian. One of the most interesting parts to me is the number of Party members who are becoming Christian. I'm sure I know some "closet Christians" who are Party members, but I didn't realize it was as widespread as this author says.

So what are you reading? How about a title, author, and precis, so that we can see if it's a book we might be interested in as well.

Has anyone read Why The Right is Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get it? Tom, maybe?

M

Shattering Your Strongholds, by Liberty Savard. This is my 4th reading of this book... it's life changing every time. An must read for any serious prayer warrior.

If you are called to stand in intercessory prayer for someone long term, or carry a heart burden for anyone, or just want to make more room in your life to receive all Jesus wants to give you... this is a must read book.

There's a study guide that goes with it... which I recommend if you are really willing to dig deep and go through some serious spiritual housecleaning... but I read the book the first time without it... and did the workbook the second time I read the book and found that worked well for me.

A heart where He alone has first place.

That book on Christianity in China sounds really interesting! I've heard about it! ought to check it out!

If you want to read something that wil likely touch your heart as deeply as it has mine, read the book about the man who plays "Jesus" in the "Matthew Video. It is the best video on the life of Christ, word for Word from the NIV Bible. The Jesus protrayed here is so real, so kind, so loving, so strong that it is deeply moving. Have you seen the video or DVD? Anyway, the book is called "In the Footsteps of Jesus, One Man's Journey Through the Life of Chrsit" by Bruce Marchiano. It might sound boring, but his book is deeply spiritual.

I'm reading: I Love You, Ronnie The love letters from Ronald Reagan to Nancy; and another book, Hitler's Willing Executioners though I can't recall the author right now.

Both good books in my opinion.