ClubAdventist is back!

Can Greed Be Beat?

phkrause

• Members

Selfishness and greed plague every one of us. They are at work through all our waking hours, and even when we are asleep. At least while we are in bed. Prophet Amos lambasted his contemporaries: “You lie on beds adorned with ivory and lounge on your couches. You dine on choice lambs and fattened calves” (Amos 6:4). And Micah was no happier about eighth century B.C. bedtime activity: “Woe to those who plan iniquity, to those who plot evil on their beds! At morning’s light they carry it out because it is in their power to do it” (Micah 2:1). Selfishness and greed are evident everywhere. The world today staggers under a global financial crisis edging some nations to bankruptcy’s brink. One tragic factor, “subprime lending,” essentially means some people wanted more than they could afford, while others were eager to take advantage of them. That oversimplification does not diminish the greed that featured in this disastrous drama.

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2012-1518&page=22

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Greed above all things is the one human downfall that must be beaten.

IMO

Now how would we go about beating that? .

post-4001-140967456199_thumb.jpg

"People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)

"I cannot know why suddenly the storm

should rage so fiercely round me in it's wrath

But this I know: God watches all my path

And I can trust"

"God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - Overaged

Faith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: EmptyCross

IMO

Now how would we go about beating that?

Greed ... the love of money ... certainly is the root of all evil. I have no personal testimony to support my theory about how to overcome it, as I still struggle with the "I wants". However, it does appear to me that it is easier to overcome as I strive to walk more closely with Christ. The more I count the many blessings our Lord has given, the more aware I am of those in great need of financial and emotional help; the less atention I give to my "wants"

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Administrators

In a real sense greed (or covetousness) was the original sin of Lucifer. He was not content with what he had and wanted more, not because he needed it, but just because it wasn't his. As one well known capitalist quipped when asked how many more dollars until he would be satisfied - "Just one more dollar."

In dealing with the insidious draw of scams, gambling and other get rich quick schemes I have often pondered why, what motives otherwise intelligent people people to defy reason and logic and succumb to the grip of greed and do totally foolish things to service greedy desire. One can understand sins of passion, but this seems to originate from something less clear than biology or some emotional compulsion. It is as if something short circuits in the brain. What I have concluded is that there is something deep in the human psyche about greed that overrides rational thought. Quite simply, greed makes you stupid.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

IMO

Now how would we go about beating that?

I'm not sure cause not many people manage to do it.

Here is the thing. I don't think its wrong or a matter of greed to want to have a good and comfortable life. Maryr like suffering in order to show how selfless you are is just another form of greed IMO.

So I think the important thing to do before trying to remedy the "disease" is to actually get to know the "symptoms".

So lets go with a real basic example.

Joe wants a new tv. His old one is blurry and you need a nail to reach in and turn the thing on. So he puts in some extra hours at work and puts that extra money away over the course of a month and is able to purchase the tv. His bills are paid, his kids are fed and his savings account is untouched.

or

Joe wants a new tv. He saw one at the local electronics store and its 4 inches bigger than the main one out of the 6 he already has. So come payday rather than put that percentage into his savings he goes and buys the new toy. He takes one of the old ones out and dumps it at the nearest recycling place.

Now this is a TV. Neither Joe needs one, because lets face it, a TV is not a matter of need. Its entertainment. But only one of these men is being greedy.

These of course are really simple and shallow examples. But the point I am trying to make is that I think its really easy to blur the line between normal wants and greedy wants. If we only went for what we need we could all live in caves wrapped in furs and squeak by with a bit of bread and meat and rain water.

So to get back to your question OA - I am not sure how we beat greed because I think there is no universal definition as to what constitutes greed and what does not.

So to get back to your question OA - I am not sure how we beat greed because I think there is no universal definition as to what constitutes greed and what does not.

lo, well; I do know that when it comes to ice cream this time of years; I can get really greedy!

post-4001-140967456283_thumb.gif

And I can trust"

I have often wondered besides Satan being greedy for power, control, and position that were not his was the accumulation of wealth (greed) also a major factor in his fall? Ezekiel 28:4-5......you have gotten wealth for yourself, and have gathered gold and silver into your treasuries; by your great wisdom in trade you have increased your wealth and your heart has become proud in your wealth.....

Here is the thing. I don't think its wrong or a matter of greed to want to have a good and comfortable life. Maryr like suffering in order to show how selfless you are is just another form of greed IMO.

And I can trust"

• Moderators

IMO

Start by giving - an honest tithe and offerings. Then when you've done that, give some more.

IMO

Start by giving - an honest tithe and offerings. Then when you've done that, give some more.

Hmmm. Sounds familiar.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

IMO

And who should I give tithe too?

Quote:
And who should I give tithe too?

In your case - I would give it to the poor.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Thats a good idea Woody.

What I see here though is that greed is being equated with monetary gain. Greed encompasses a lot more than money.

Greed encompasses a lot more than money.
Perhaps this is some of what you are thinking?

Word Web Dictionary defines greed in one of two ways, depending on specific context:

1/ Excessive desire to acquire or possess more (esp material wealth) than one needs or deserves

2/ Reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)

One word that is a synonym to greed is "avarice" meaning "Extreme greed for material wealth." material could refer to much more than money.

So; in a sense, "greed" has to be something that it is not possible for you to get enough of, no matter how much of it you get.

The Bible has some interesting things to say about greed:

Pro_11:6 Doing right sets honest people free, but people who can't be trusted are trapped by their greed. (ERV)

This text suggests that people are "trapped by THEIR greed."

And perhaps, it is suggesting that "doing right" is the opposite of greed. I think it's significant that the word "their" is used in this Bible version. Notice, it is "their greed." It's not some one else's. It wasn't given to them. They didn't take it from anywhere. No one caused them to have it; it was "theirs."

Is the Bible suggesting that perhaps we all have some measure of "greed" in us, and that by doing the right thing, we can avoid it?

For eg., there are a number of different angles to greed; the following are not all-inclusive:

1/ The greed for power..." (CG 293.4)

2/ Greed is usually characterized by some sort of robbery, (CTr 349.6), or oppression. (COL 170.2)

3/ Human greed can be over real estate (COL 253.3)

4/ Greed is often associated with degradation and misery. (as fruits thereof, COL285.2)

5/ Greedy people are always despised, even by non-religious people, or heathens, as some would call them. (COL 292.3)

Perhaps; it would have to be doing something in our own spheres, about the robbery, oppression, degradation, or misery that are kissing cousins to greed, that would help to rid, atleast our little corner of the world, of this terrible plague called greed?

Is it "doing the right thing," and being honest (Prov 11:6), in a given situation that would get rid of greed?

post-4001-140967456372_thumb.jpeg

And I can trust"

• Members

Well; here is a Bible verse that would back up what you just said:
Quote:
1Co 13:3 I may give away everything I have to help others, and I may even give my body as an offering to be burned. But I gain nothing by doing all this if I don't have love.
It looks like you are right. "Greed" has no universal, or consistent definition and there will be found a lot of different ideas on what it is.

Perhaps, the key ingredient is simply living for yourself? Not living for others in any way? That seems to be one implication of 1 Cor 13:3?

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Greed encompasses a lot more than money.
Perhaps this is some of what you are thinking?

Word Web Dictionary defines greed in one of two ways, depending on specific context:

1/ Excessive desire to acquire or possess more (esp material wealth) than one needs or deserves

2/ Reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins)

One word that is a synonym to greed is "avarice" meaning "Extreme greed for material wealth." material could refer to much more than money.

So; in a sense, "greed" has to be something that it is not possible for you to get enough of, no matter how much of it you get.

The Bible has some interesting things to say about greed:

Pro_11:6 Doing right sets honest people free, but people who can't be trusted are trapped by their greed. (ERV)

This text suggests that people are "trapped by THEIR greed."

And perhaps, it is suggesting that "doing right" is the opposite of greed. I think it's significant that the word "their" is used in this Bible version. Notice, it is "their greed." It's not some one else's. It wasn't given to them. They didn't take it from anywhere. No one caused them to have it; it was "theirs."

Is the Bible suggesting that perhaps we all have some measure of "greed" in us, and that by doing the right thing, we can avoid it?

For eg., there are a number of different angles to greed; the following are not all-inclusive:

1/ The greed for power..." (CG 293.4)

2/ Greed is usually characterized by some sort of robbery, (CTr 349.6), or oppression. (COL 170.2)

3/ Human greed can be over real estate (COL 253.3)

4/ Greed is often associated with degradation and misery. (as fruits thereof, COL285.2)

5/ Greedy people are always despised, even by non-religious people, or heathens, as some would call them. (COL 292.3)

Perhaps; it would have to be doing something in our own spheres, about the robbery, oppression, degradation, or misery that are kissing cousins to greed, that would help to rid, atleast our little corner of the world, of this terrible plague called greed?

Is it "doing the right thing," and being honest (Prov 11:6), in a given situation that would get rid of greed?

To a degree thats what I am saying. One can be greedy with their time, love, and caring as well.

"doing the right thing," and being honest

Depends on the motivation. If you are doing the right thing and being honest just so others think more highly of you and to look good then it kind of defeats the purpose.