ClubAdventist is back!

The Woody Theory On Mission Trips

Woody

This is my theory and I'm holding to it.

I hear a lot of SDAs talk about wanting to go on a mission trip . And what they mean is they want an overseas vacation in the name of God.

My requirement for mission trips - is that if you aren't doing 'mission' here and now - then you should not be trying it on foreign soil. Those who go on mission trips should go with experience and willingness to work here so they have something to share overseas.

There you go with the Woody Theory. I've said my peace.

What say you?

(And do not turn this into a discussion on Obama - or this will be banished to the Political Forum.)

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Why should this have anything to do with Obama? There was no need to bring up his name at all. Anyway, I think missionaries should be commented for what they do.

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

Why should this have anything to do with Obama? There was no need to bring up his name at all. Anyway, I think missionaries should be commented for what they do.

A lot of the mission trips are our young people in academy.

Our son went on one and my grandchildren have gone to India and Africa.Why would anyone object,it was paid for by the parents and the students gained a great deal from it.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

I pretty much agree, Woody (for adults, at least). How can one expect to perform in a foreign (maybe even hostile) country if they haven't practiced on the home field? I don't know - seeing a miracle or two in a foreign field will "wake" people up to witness at home. That being said, almost all adults or families I know take a few days for recreational time when going on an overseas mission trip. Why not, since they're their anyways.

For youth, sometimes a mission trip is just what they need to inspire them to witness at home.

I have known many kids, who struggle with spiritual things here, go to developing country and got a good taste or reality. Came back a changed person.

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

For youth, sometimes a mission trip is just what they need to inspire them to witness at home.

Most youth that go are academy students and generally they are already involved in witnessing.At least where my boys went and the academies my grandchildren have gone to were.I would think most are similar

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

• Moderators
We went on a mission trip once to Ovideopol near Odessa in the Ukraine. We spent over a week holding meetings. We also held health screening for blood pressures, blood sugar, etc. I gave brief health lectures before the Bible study lectures. After it was over, we tacked on a vacation that included a trip to Kiev, the capital, then to Moscow & St. Petersburg in Russia. Do you have a problem having a vacation after serving God?

No, as long as the mission trip is the primary reason for the trip. I have gone on mission trips where some people didn't even show up for the mission part of the trip cuz the vacation got in the way.

Last mission trip our church went on was 2 weeks of meetings in Muslim controlled Tanzania. Some of our folks went an a photo safari and/or climbed Kilimanjaro while they were Africa. Also baptized 300 people.

This is my theory and I'm holding to it.

I hear a lot of SDAs talk about wanting to go on a mission trip . And what they mean is they want an overseas vacation in the name of God.

My requirement for mission trips - is that if you aren't doing 'mission' here and now - then you should not be trying it on foreign soil. Those who go on mission trips should go with experience and willingness to work here so they have something to share overseas.

There you go with the Woody Theory. I've said my peace.

What say you?

(And do not turn this into a discussion on Obama - or this will be banished to the Political Forum.)

:like: Agree Completely!!!!

I've been aware of definate failure in missionary endeavor as a result of other than the one who was willing to go, was pointed in a direction by someone second guessing God's call.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

I think that every child should experience a third world country. Even if the only thing that happens to him/her is to gain an appreciation for provisions at home that are taken for granted that's a step in the right direction.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

Not only do children gain from the experience but adults also gain. Perhaps there are some who have time and funds to take extra time after for a vacation; God Bless them.

Whether you go to hold a Revelation Seminar or to build 40 one-day churches you will be using all of your energies on-the-job, for the most part living in conditions far different from homeinteracting with those who . Few will return with the same attitude, understanding or measure of faith that they had when leaving. It is not a party to just go and goof off ... it is serious training and inspiration. If you have never been on a short-term Mission Trip, you really don't/can't appreciate how intense it really is.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God