ClubAdventist is back!

Here is how euthanasia works

Gail

• Members

That was very interesting.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I thought that was very sad, but yes, if they wanted to go peacefully and together then that is the way to do it. I'm glad that they lived in a country that allowed that, I wish every country provided for that type of dignity.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

What is dignity?

Is this type of suicide (euthanasia) acceptable?

Is heartache an acceptable reason?

In this particular case, how did these men convey their wishes to others?

• 2 weeks later...

I've always thought it was really ironic that euthenasia is prounced youthenasia. It's one of those mysteries of language to me.

I have a brother-in-law who has a genetic disease that is slowly killing him. His brain is slowly becoming a disconnected mass of nerve cells in those areas of the brain which control muscle and movement. He's slowly losing the power of speech and long since lost the ability to walk, crawl, or even feed himself. One day, if he doesn't die soon, he will be trapped in his body without the ability to communicate in any fashion, and yet know what is going on with himself and those around him. I call that a living nightmare. If I was in that condition I'm not at all sure I wouldn't want to be able to choose my time of death before my ability to communicate was completely gone.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Administrators

Yeah, it would be hard for me, too, to not have a say in what happens to me. It is bad enough to face the loss of one's abilities one by one and become increasingly dependent on others for getting one's needs met.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Didn't read this I have to admit. But am interested in the topic - as I believe we each should be able to check out of this life when we want. And I am a pretty determined individual. But if after praying to God .... He doesn't relieve my pain ---- I want to be able to check out of this world.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

It's back to 'Me' and 'my rights' again isn't it? Why do 'we' have the 'right' to 'check ourselves out' when "We" were not the ones who 'checked ourselves in'???? I was taught (somewhere back in the Dark Ages evidently) that 'life' and its length was in the hands of God to determine no matter what the circumstances. Nuff Sed

• Members

What's the difference between someone choosing to die because of incurable pain and suffering, and "pulling the plug" on a family member who has an incurable condition? Is the ability to breathe the only hallmark of a life worth living?

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Members

Interesting points Pam

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

What is life?

To me, it is more than a beating heart. It involves quality rather than quantity.

One possible choice involves agents that actively bring that beating heart to a stop.

Another potential choice involves stopping interventions that keep the heart beating. In this case, it is the body that decides whether or not to die, when and how.

I do not believe that one is required to continue with measures that continue to keep the heart beating beyond what the body wants to do.

In any case, once the body commits to death, the end is not stoppable. It only can be delayed to a point.

Gregory

• 2 weeks later...

What is life?

To me, it is more than a beating heart. It involves quality rather than quantity.

One possible choice involves agents that actively bring that beating heart to a stop.

Another potential choice involves stopping interventions that keep the heart beating. In this case, it is the body that decides whether or not to die, when and how.

I do not believe that one is required to continue with measures that continue to keep the heart beating beyond what the body wants to do.

In any case, once the body commits to death, the end is not stoppable. It only can be delayed to a point.

Agreed.

This concept of keeping a person alive after the body has already decided on death is a very recent, historically speaking, idea and was never before possible.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

In the US passive euthanasia is legal, but active euthanasia is not. James and Ellen White, as well as HMS Richards Sr. decided to die via passive euthanasia (Ellen made the choice for James).

Quite a few people my age have already made their decision that they have lived long enough. Is financial or social insecurity a good reason to get out of trouble?