ClubAdventist is back!

Keeping the sabbath, with non sda parents

mayday

So after a long long time Im going back to see my dad on occasianal weekends. I am 16 and have been brought up sda by my mum. My dad used to be sda, but I have found he no longer is.

What I am struggling with now is, on the weekends I am with him, he and his wife go into town, to the movies etc etc. How do I keep the sabbath still?? He is not someone I could explain this to, he is very much a 'father' and you 'dont argue with me'. I struggle to talk to him, and I know he wouldnt want to know about it as he thinks by mothers religion to be wrong. I have been praying about it, but I really dont know what to do. I have to go see my dad, but I want to keep the sabbath.

HELP!!

thankyou

• Members

So after a long long time Im going back to see my dad on occasianal weekends. I am 16 and have been brought up sda by my mum. My dad used to be sda, but I have found he no longer is.

What I am struggling with now is, on the weekends I am with him, he and his wife go into town, to the movies etc etc. How do I keep the sabbath still?? He is not someone I could explain this to, he is very much a 'father' and you 'dont argue with me'. I struggle to talk to him, and I know he wouldnt want to know about it as he thinks by mothers religion to be wrong. I have been praying about it, but I really dont know what to do. I have to go see my dad, but I want to keep the sabbath.

HELP!!

thankyou

Wow, sorry to hear that. I was gonna suggest to just borrow the car and drive to the closest church, but than I realized that your only 16, so I guess that's out. But you know that you can keep the Sabbath without going to church. You don't need to go to town and to the movies. Just spend as much time with your dad. You said he was a SDA so he knows what you are I'm guessing? Anyway will be praying for you and your situation.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Thanks Pkrause. I appreciate your help. I posted this on another sda forum only to be accused of being 'led astray' by egw's writings and that it was perfectly ok to go to the movies and shopping on gods day. I really dont think this is ok, personally? But they again, i dont know much only being 16. I would like to just spend the day at home with dad, but I am worried about if they do go into town etc. as I wouldnt know what to do? My dad USED to be an sda, but I have found now that he most definitely isnt any longer, as far as he shows anyway. Which is really sad for me... I struggle to speak to him about anything, and dont think he would take kindly to me refusing to go into town, because of my 'beliefs'. Thanks for your support.

Just wondering what other peoples oppinions are on the sabbath daay though. As was pointed out on this other forum, in the 4th commandment it mentions nothing of not going to see movies or shopping. But to me, I am not honouring god by doing my own thing and pleasures. what do other people think? how are we meant to know?

• Administrators

Mayday, may it go well with you as you try to come to a happy place with your Dad in this.

Honouring your father is also one of the 10 Commandments... If he knows that it is your desire to honour him (after honouring God, for He is to have first place) he should appreciate that. Many parents would love to have kids that respect them!

I think that it is cool that your are conscientious about what it means to follow God with your whole heart. I hope that you come often and tell us of what God has done for you in your life :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Mayday,

I'm sorry someone as young as you must face this kind of tribulation. May God bless and comfort you; and give you holy wisdom as you work through this.

I'm kind of an old gut; but through the years I have come to believe that Sabbath observance is mostly a state of mind. If people go to Sabbath School and Worship Service; but spend the whole time thinking about the stock market, politics, and the Super Bowl, are they really keeping the Sabbath? If people miss church and spend the whole day honoring and blessing family (which they probably don't have time to do during the week cuz of school or work); bringing spiritual light into the conversation whenever appopriate and praising silently in their spirit, are they really breaking the Sabbath? Of course, Sabbath keeping is between an individual and God - one may find a givien activity OK while the other finds it inappropriate; so each must follow God's guidance for them. Honoring Father and Mother is also a commandment.

• Members

Mayday,

I'm sorry someone as young as you must face this kind of tribulation. May God bless and comfort you; and give you holy wisdom as you work through this.

I'm kind of an old gut; but through the years I have come to believe that Sabbath observance is mostly a state of mind. If people go to Sabbath School and Worship Service; but spend the whole time thinking about the stock market, politics, and the Super Bowl, are they really keeping the Sabbath? If people miss church and spend the whole day honoring and blessing family (which they probably don't have time to do during the week cuz of school or work); bringing spiritual light into the conversation whenever appopriate and praising silently in their spirit, are they really breaking the Sabbath? Of course, Sabbath keeping is between an individual and God - one may find a givien activity OK while the other finds it inappropriate; so each must follow God's guidance for them. Honoring Father and Mother is also a commandment.

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

Quote:
Just wondering what other peoples oppinions are on the sabbath daay though. As was pointed out on this other forum, in the 4th commandment it mentions nothing of not going to see movies or shopping. But to me, I am not honouring god by doing my own thing and pleasures. what do other people think? how are we meant to know?

there are things i like to do on sabbath, the please me, sabbath hikes, sabbath feast, singing with church family, resting, relaxing, listening to sermons.

but sometimes God wants me to do things that do not please myself on Sabbath. Like helping someone clean in their house, yes work, but i am not doing it to please myself. I am doing it to bring them Jesus presence in their need.

moving all the chairs at a potluck, yes work, but i am serving the need, and not pleasing myself.

we can be there for others on Sabbath, and this does not have to be pleasing ourselves, and doing our own pleasure on Sabbath. We do not have to remain rigid in our Sabbath traditions and religious form to stay in communion with God through the Sabbath hours.

When i have felt up against the wall, and see no way in myself i can move forward to keep Sabbath, i have asked God, help me know what to do. and he did open now thoughts and options i had not thought of.

being with family on Sabbath that do not know or recognize God, outwardly anyway, it really something that exercises my faith, as i show them i do not have to be in church on my knees to be in God's presence on Sabbath. I Ask God to be with me, and those around me, and to help me show his love, as He is longing to be with those i am with.

God loves your family, and God envies you because he longs for them to look at Him, to listen to Him and talk with Him, and they look at you, listen, and talk with you.

so on Sabbath ask God to show you how to keep connected with him, how strong his love is for you, Then ask him to use you to show His love. Maybe they will see God, and notice Him.

Jesus broke Sabbath traditions and He remained in His Father's will, and in His love.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Administrators
thumbsup

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Quote:

there are things i like to do on sabbath, the please me, sabbath hikes, sabbath feast, singing with church family, resting, relaxing, listening to sermons.

but sometimes God wants me to do things that do not please myself on Sabbath. Like helping someone clean in their house, yes work, but i am not doing it to please myself. I am doing it to bring them Jesus presence in their need.

moving all the chairs at a potluck, yes work, but i am serving the need, and not pleasing myself.

we can be there for others on Sabbath, and this does not have to be pleasing ourselves, and doing our own pleasure on Sabbath. We do not have to remain rigid in our Sabbath traditions and religious form to stay in communion with God through the Sabbath hours.

When i have felt up against the wall, and see no way in myself i can move forward to keep Sabbath, i have asked God, help me know what to do. and he did open now thoughts and options i had not thought of.

being with family on Sabbath that do not know or recognize God, outwardly anyway, it really something that exercises my faith, as i show them i do not have to be in church on my knees to be in God's presence on Sabbath. I Ask God to be with me, and those around me, and to help me show his love, as He is longing to be with those i am with.

God loves your family, and God envies you because he longs for them to look at Him, to listen to Him and talk with Him, and they look at you, listen, and talk with you.

so on Sabbath ask God to show you how to keep connected with him, how strong his love is for you, Then ask him to use you to show His love. Maybe they will see God, and notice Him.

Jesus broke Sabbath traditions and He remained in His Father's will, and in His love.

AWESOME!!!! :like:

• Moderators

Have you asked your Dad to drop you off at a SDA church?

I commend you for wanting to obey the Lord's command. I too will be praying for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Quote:
but I am worried about if they do go into town etc. as I wouldnt know what to do? My dad USED to be an sda, but I have found now that he most definitely isnt any longer, as far as he shows anyway.

Mayday,

How are things going with this issue? have you spoken to your dad about how it is a conflict for you if they expect you to go shopping or to movies on Sabbath?

I know it is hard to be on your own with everyone around you not recognizing the Sabbath. It is sure an opportunity for you to stretch your faith and grow.

And i sincerely believe that in every way you honor what you believe to be true, God will honor you.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Hi Mayday. I am very glad to hear that there are young people who value having solid principles and following what they know is right. That is really refreshing in todays spiritual climate. It sounds like you are in a tough spot there, I would like to share a few thoughts from the Bible that may help you. The fifth commandment tells us that we are to love and obey our parents. The only reason I have found in the Bible for disobedience to parents is in the case of a parent trying to force a child to go against God's will. Eph. 6.1 tells us to obey our parents as long as their wishes are according to God's commandments. Acts 5:29 says we are to obey God over man. In Mat. 10:37 Jesus tells us that we are to place Him above everyone in our hearts, including family. I know standing for right principles would be very difficult especially for a young person at home but just remember what Jesus did for us so that we can live with Him eternally. Jesus was ridiculed, mocked and eventually killed so we have hope of living in Him and of going to Heaven. The Bible tells us that there is a Friend (Jesus) that sticks closer than a brother, whatever your problems take them to Him. Trust and rely on Him and He will reward you for your love and obedience and work your problems out.

I see you also asked about if keeping Sabbath is important or not. I though I would share a few verses about that also. The fourth commandment says we are to keep the Sabbath holy. I would ask do you think sitting at the movies is a holy activity, or going out to other places? Is the Sabbath really that important? In Jer. 17:19-27 God is warning Judah that they had been breaking the Sabbath, verse 27 He warns them that if they continue to disobey that Jerusalem would be broken down and burned. Unfortunately Judah didn't turn back to God and in 2 Kings 25:8-11 we read the fulfillment of the prophecy in Jeremiah. Exodus 31:14 shows that Sabbath is indeed an important issue. If an Israelite were found to be defiling the Sabbath they were put to death. I am not sharing these verses to try to be harsh or anything. I do think we need to realize that even though many people today try to minimize the importance of the Sabbath, the Sabbath is very important and according to the Bible God thinks it is very important also. Isa. 58:13-14 paints a brighter picture, God promises that if we turn away from our worldly activities and love and enjoy the time we spend with God on His day that He will bless us endlessly.

I am sorry this post is so long but I had a lot I wanted to share. I do hope you will go back through all the texts and read them and also search for more texts. There are many more and it is quite an interesting study. I do hope you keep in mind that while yes strict obedience to God is expected that He is not a harsh or exacting God. He loves you just as He loves all of His children. The need for strict obedience can be seen from history. Satan was disobedient and look what he turned into. Adam and Eve were disobedient on a "small" thing and look at the results on the whole human race. Obedience is vital to harmony, without it there would never be harmony in Heaven. When we obey because we love God then we have a way out of this misery and mess. I can't stress enough how much God loves you and is interested in your problems. Take them to Him in prayer, ask Him to give you strength to persevere and He will work things out for you.

One last thing I would like to mention, we have to be very careful of the advice we can get these days. It is very important that we base all of our beliefs on what God tells us in His word. Many people now try to minimize the importance of obedience to God, claiming "love." Jesus said "If ye love me keep my commandments" According to Is. 8:20 if people tell you something different than what you find in God's word then there is no light in them. I hope this has helped and I hope that what you are going through now brings you closer to God. Remember to always trust and obey Him and He will see you through all your tough times.

Thy word is a lamp to my feet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I do not have immediate answers to your very valid question. There is much that I do not know about your situation. IF I had that knowledge, I am not certain that I would have tha answer.

How close do you live to your Father? Is it possible that you could spend time with him other than on the weekend, or on Sundays? Instead of a Saturday and a Sunday, could you do two Sundays?

Could you do Wednesday evenings?

If you cannot talk, can you write? Could you share that you want to spend time with him and get to know him better, but you have a conflict for which you are searching a resolution. Ask him for his help in resolving it. How wouold he respond to our invitation to work with you to find a solution by which you and he could spend quality tijme together and your standards would be met?

This is the best I can do for now. :)

Gregory

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having some of the same issues with my parents and the rest of the adults in my family. If you're still on the forums I'm just letting you know, I'll pray for you, Mayday. And I'll pray for your father too.

HELP!!

thankyou

\

I too am a Father and I too have daughters - and I will assure you of this - your dad knows that you are of the same religion as is your mother since you only visit him on certain weekends.

Possibly he may want you to change your religion and hopes he can attract you to the benefits of not holding to that faith. You need not see this as his trying to be mean or any such thing.

It also means that he will understand if you stand up for your faith - and say that you are choosing to honor your parents and to serve God to the best of your ability and that you have been raised to worship God as a Seventh-day Adventist.

If he wants a good discussion on why we believe as we do - tell him to come talk to me on Club Adventist - I am more than happy to discuss the details - Father to Father.

OK - I wish he would do that - but I fully realize he probably will settle for talking with you about it and no one else.

In any case - I am praying for you now.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• 4 weeks later...

MAYDAY

could you contact the S.D.A. CHURCH and have some member pick you up

you up and take you to church then take you back to the house

dgrimm60

I'm sure that the local pastor could arrange this for you.

You going to church will be a witness to your father.

Your father will gain respect for you for standing by your convictions.

In every Christian's life there comes a time when we have to stand alone and do what is right.

Doing what is right and living by what the Holy Spirit has convicted you to do will strengthen your faith as well.

God moves in mysterious ways - you may be the person to lead your own father back to a better relationship with God.

Live for God . . . Love people