ClubAdventist is back!

Would you marry a Black Person if you are White?

Woody

Some time ago - I was told that it's racism to not want to marry a black woman.

Got me to thinkin' --

Is it racist then to be born White?

The definitions of racism are a constantly changing target these days. The more "white guilt" the political progressives can generate the more political power they accrue.

I say, a pox on them and their political games.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Originally Posted By: lazarus
Crazy questions evoke crazy answers.

Seriously.

True.

It's also true that 'crazy' is in the eye of the beholder.

If I was a newbie and my questions were called crazy - I might turn tail and run. But being the hardened vet that I am - I stick it out.

Some people here need sensitivity training.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Of course it is! Whites have been shown to have a genetic disposition towards that kind of behavior.

Not sure I can fully agree with that Lazarus!

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Administrators

I say, a pox on them and their political games.

Classic!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

OK, then, seriousness. Here's the OP:

Quote:

Got me to thinkin' --

Is it racist then to be born White?

There's a massive logic hole in it, *unless* we assume that being 'born White' inevitably leads to not wanting to marry someone Black. And it doesn't, since there are many white people married to black people.

So leave aside how we're born, since, as far as I know, racism is culturally acquired rather than innate. That is, no babies are racist, until their culture has had its way with them.

So then, a simpler question: 'Is it racist not to want to marry outside one's own race?'

There are many issues and considerations in addressing such a question. First, 'race' is a category that in many ways is becoming moot anyway. In a few generations humanity will be so mixed that it will be hard to identify a person's race at all. That's a side issue to this discussion, but in my view a good thing.

In terms of the question, I think it would depend on *why* you didn't want to marry outside your own race. If it was because you considered other races inferior, for example, then presumably that would be racist. If you had considered the difficulties and challenges of interracial marriages within a society that contains a portion of racism and decided those challenges are too difficult, that might actually just be due to taking marriage seriously and aspiring to be married for life.

Also, each of us tends to find certain people attractive and others less so: and while attraction is not the sole requirement for marriage, it is important. The desire to avoid being racist shouldn't mean we have to intentionally try to love and desire someone to whom we're not attracted. (We might want to reflect on *why* we find particular people less attractive, but those attractions are often seemingly hardwired at a deeper level than our rational minds.)

'Racist' is sometimes bandied about excessively, and shouldn't be, but that is sometimes then used to deny that racism exists or is a problem, which is untrue. Only the marrier/non-marrier can truly know his/her own motivations, though, and others should probably avoid judging without that knowledge.

So, as an answer to the question - that is, to the more logical question about whether it's racist to resist marrying outside one's own race... the answer, as ever, is probably 'it depends'.

Truth is important

• Moderators
My Aunt was very much against any of her clan marrying a white person. But when the love bug bites you, it doesn't matter much what color or nationality the other person is. One of her three sons married a white, & I married one. My sister married a Japanese, and my brother married a Virgin Islander. I have another relative who married a white man, and their daughter married a Hispanic. And here in NC, I am seeing more and more white/black couples. Leave people alone and all these man-made taboos will fall by the wayside.

Well, Bravus. I have to say you and I are pretty much agreed. Everything about this subject "depends" on motive.

Many long years ago, when I was single, I met this absolutely beautiful black gal in a college gym where I went to play basketball on a regular basis. I said what I thought about her out loud and several of the guys who knew her said I should ask her out. I didn't, but not because of her skin color. She was just so beautiful--we're talking supermodel beautiful--she intimidated me and I could never get up the courage to ask her out.

Even all these years later I can still see her face. It's like it was seared into my memory because that was at least 35 years ago.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Excellent Bravus

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

Oh and to actually answer the title of this thread! Yes! Would have no problem with that.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I have been single for quite some time, (I check the box "white" when asked about my race,)and would not marry anybody unless I loved the person. I would not marry a redhead, for instance, just to be marrying a redhead. If I didn't marry a redhead because I just wasn't attracted to redheads I wouldn't be accused of being racist for not wanting to marry a redhead. (I actually don't have that bias, you understand.) It would just be a physical preference. However, a redhead might come along and sweep me off my feet because of their love of God and their galantry, and a mixture of a poetic turn and a wise frame of mind with a touch of --weelll, just the right personality, and nobody would be terribly surprised if I suddenly changed my mind about redheads. You really don't know who you would be delighted to marry hypothetically, compared to who you would really marry if you developed a relationship that clicked.

more later

What we need?

Graeme

I followed it till I heard John Denver singin' Country Road. Haven't felt that much nostalgia in years.

Good show.

God blesses! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Quote:

Think through what you just said, let me slightly restate it: Some time ago, I was told that if I did not want to marry a black woman, I was a racist.

I would say: If you want to marry a woman because she is black, you are a racist.

The same is true for White or whatever.

Gregory

Quote:

Think through what you just said, let me slightly restate it: Some time ago, I was told that if I did not want to marry a black woman, I was a racist.

I would say: If you want to marry a woman because she is black, you are a racist.

The same is true for White or whatever.

thumbsup

Exactly true.

We marry because we want God to join our hearts together to be as one.....not to prove a point.

I'd say the same for the so-called "trophy spouse" thing as well...

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan