ClubAdventist is back!

Willpower and Changing our lives

Ted Oplinger

It is a common thought that making positive changes in our lives is a matter of willpower. This particularly true with respect to our heath/temperance message, but it can equally apply to other aspects of our spiritual journey (like prayer/devotional time, starting a new ministry, etc.).

I bring this up for several reasons - all the broken New Year's resolutions abounding at this time of year, ministries people wanted to start, but could never get off the ground, and even in reading all the posts within these forums of people trying to do the good they want, but coming up short.

We commonly believe the phrase, "Where there is a will, there is a way" - that if we are but serious enough, we stick our decision with serious commitment until we see it through.

But - should we fail, does that mean we aren't really that serious and committed? Or...have we set ourselves up for failure from the beginning with that common phrase?

Is willpower that just happens when the time is right? Something that belongs to the successful? Something sprinkled like a "magic dust" over a person, to do what they normally couldn't?

Or is willpower to effect a positive change based on something else?

Thoughts and comments?

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Administrators

I can't help you there, cause I don't have any (willpower)!

Well, I shouldn't say any... I do have only a smidgeon. Not near enough, though.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

I can't help you there, cause I don't have any (willpower)!

Well, I shouldn't say any... I do have only a smidgeon. Not near enough, though.

Well stated Gail. ANd what little God dishes out to us ---

just ain't enough.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Sooo...do we consign ourselves to perpetual failure in those things God tells us we need to make change for the better?

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Sooo...do we consign ourselves to perpetual failure in those things God tells us we need to make change for the better?

What power God wants to give us - He will give us.

But yes, we do need to realize that we will continue to fail in the areas that God tells us we need improvement in. Kinda like a thorn in the flesh. WE do need to be reminded that we are sinners. And will always be sinners as long as we are on this earth.

Sinners saved by His Blood

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

How about a mind transformation?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

How about a mind transformation?

A simple adjustment to our thinking, a complete attitude re-adjustment, or a complete new mind??

Blessings,

Let's put another piece to the puzzle - suppose the phrase "Where there is a will, there is a way", is putting the cart before the horse?

What does flipping that phrase around - "where there is a way, there is a will" - do?

Blessings,

• Administrators

Nice!

Will power to effect change (whether it is dietary, spiritual, work habits, or otherwise) is something that is developed alongside that which you desire changed. In short, once we decide to make a change, the steps we take to develop the will to continue the change are just as important as the steps we take to make the change desired.

While this applies to the Gospel effort, the thought process seen with these verses is true for any positive change the Lord lays upon our heart to initially want:

1 Corinthians 9:24 - "Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you win."

2 Corinthians 8:10-11 - "I give my opinion in this matter, for this is to your advantage, who were the first to begin a year ago to not only do this, but also to desire to do it. But now, finish doing it also, so that just as there was the readiness to desire it, so there may also be the completion of it by your ability."

To wit, Paul tells us not to set ourselves up to fail when we start something. Developing the desire to do something - the will power - is just as important as developing the plan to do the point of concern. God gives us the power to develop BOTH of these.

Flipping the phrase to sat "Where there is a way, there is a will" allows us to develop both our new change and our will to continue desiring that change at the same time.....but what some ways we can do this?

Blessings!

What I'm beginning to understand is that will power isn't just the ability to refuse that drug, that smoke, lie, or anger, and never do it again. Resisting is important; but when I focus on the evil thing, and worrying myself to death about giving in one more time, I don't seem to get much strength from that. But I do see my will change as I become closer to Christ, study into His character, and what He did for me. I get both "will" and "power" from that. I see even my desires change.

I'm thinking back on the post of Live4Him who quoted "Steps To Christ," p 47, about the force of the will. I have read it many times, and always assumed that the "will power" is the resistance ability. But what it actually means is that I can will myself to spend time and study with Christ; and as I do that, He gives me power to become even closer, to the degree that I transform gradually. I can stop doing the sin that I couldn't before.

It's no longer all about me and what I can do..it's about the power He imparts the more I abide in Him. That's what I'm seeing now that I didn't before.

But, sometimes I hear one of those "Fire & Brimstone" sermons and become confused. Some of those preachers seem to think that only dire threats and fear tactics will work. Maybe some folks need to be whipped on, but some of us just need to be shown the way.

What I'm beginning to understand is that will power isn't just the ability to refuse that drug, that smoke, lie, or anger, and never do it again. Resisting is important; but when I focus on the evil thing, and worrying myself to death about giving in one more time, I don't seem to get much strength from that. But I do see my will change as I become closer to Christ, study into His character, and what He did for me. I get both "will" and "power" from that. I see even my desires change.

I'm thinking back on the post of Live4Him who quoted "Steps To Christ," p 47, about the force of the will. I have read it many times, and always assumed that the "will power" is the resistance ability. But what it actually means is that I can will myself to spend time and study with Christ; and as I do that, He gives me power to become even closer, to the degree that I transform gradually. I can stop doing the sin that I couldn't before.

It's no longer all about me and what I can do..it's about the power He imparts the more I abide in Him. That's what I'm seeing now that I didn't before.

But, sometimes I hear one of those "Fire & Brimstone" sermons and become confused. Some of those preachers seem to think that only dire threats and fear tactics will work. Maybe some folks need to be whipped on, but some of us just need to be shown the way.

Ah - on the right track!

Will power is something developed alongside our developing new habit/skill.

Christ wants us to put ourselves on the track to maximize the success. That means taking God's instructions and power and aligning your God-given strengths with them.

If a person is a night-owl who goes to bed late and arising with just enough time to shower/shave/get the kids ready/etc., it would do no good for them to decide to start a new devotional practice an hour before they normally get up.

Likewise. a person with multiple health issues and little aerobic endurance sets himself up for failure when he decides to run two miles a day and benchpress twice his normal in a month's time.

A person with low cooking ability and little time deciding to go vegetarian can easily hit a wall when they realize many "quick" recipes presume access to appliances they may not have, and have ingredients not available at their normal shopping haunts.

The key is to begin small, in a thoughtful way which helps you succeed.

The night owl starting a new devotional practice? Start it in the evening, after the kids/distractions have been put away, well before the usual bedtime.

Picking up a new exercise program? Instead of two miles a day running, start at a quarter mile walking, and build from there, doing this in a setting one enjoys.

Going vegetarian, but with no skills and no time? Start by replacing one or two meals, and work slowly to develop both diet and skills.

We tend to want to do things when we see success attending our efforts. Maximizing our chance for success is good stewardship of the opportunities Go places before us.

Added thoughts?

Blessings,