ClubAdventist is back!

Please pray for me?

SmallPaw

My family is adjusting to my religious convictions concerning clean and unclean foods, the Sabbath, my current interests and my new habit of studying the Bible often. There are times when they put me in very tight situations because they don't pay attention to me (and to some degree, don't respect some of the convictions that causes me to disagree or disobey them).

For example: One of my parents wants me to go to a college expo with my sister on Saturday, but I know its the Sabbath. And while I have the power to not go (because I'll be taking the bus and she won't be able to give me a ride), she will ask me about the expo at some point and I'll have to tell her that I didn't go. I don't know what I'm supposed to do in this kind of situation without causing my family to get angry and possibly try to discipline me. I'd hate for them to eventually get so angry that they restrict me from doing anything that I need to do to maintain a healthy relationship with God. Knowing them though, it looks like this is where things are headed if their hearts are not softened eventually.

Please pray for my family. If they won't practice certain godly actions, I pray that they will at least allow me to walk in the light.

I am praying for you now.

Read Matt 10 carefully - Jesus explains that the most difficult aspect of accepting Bible truth is having to live it out in our own family relationships where family members are not inclined to accept what the Bible is saying. But Jesus said that if we choose to stand for Christ - then Christ will stand up for us before His Father and the Angels in heaven and all heaven will rejoice to hear of our faithfulness to God.

May God soften the hearts of your family members that they will be kind, and even accept the Bible truths you have accepted. But they may first need to see a truly convicted soul and that example of steadfast conviction may have to come from you for a few months. Enduring persecution for a short while - and gaining the conversion of some of your family members as the reward down the road.

May God's angels be especially close to you this day.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.

• Members

Will definitely add you to our pray list SmallPaw. May God bless and direct you as you study and witness to others with the way you live your life.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I will keep you in my prayers, but also ask--have you told your parents of your convictions? Have you told them what you would like to be doing on the Sabbath and what activities you would like to avoid? Have you asked them to respect your beliefs? Do they understand that trips like going to this expo are against your beliefs?

Also, are you against attending the expo, or are you against the traveling by bus? Or both?

In my experience with my family members, it was only a matter of explaining to them exactly what I wanted to be doing. There was no confusion once the whole of my beliefs was laid out.

SmallPaw,

God bless and sustain you in maintaining your convictions. I pray your family's heart will be softened.

I pray God will also give you wisdom in this dicey situation - you must obey God rather than man, but you must also respect your parents.

It may be some encouragement to you that Jesus went through issues with His family - you can see some of this in the chapters "As a Child" "Days of Conflict" and "Who are my Brethen?"

One thing you may want to try to smooth the way for your parents, particularly for Sabbath and diet differances:

Try to help with the housework as much as possible and make it your goal to have the house clean by Friday, and prepare meals that can be re-warmed up in the oven on Sabbath afternoon. That way, your parents won't feel the need to ask you to help with the housework or cook on Sabbath.

You can also try cooking meals throughout week that your family likes and that meet our dietary standards, to avoid as much as possible not being able to eat something someone else worked to cook.

If your family gives you a hard time about reading your Bible, try getting up early in the morning to read and pray, so you can have some uninterupted time with God, and can then participate in other family activities throughout the day. (When it's not Sabbath or something wrong)

In addition to helping to avoid conflict, these kinds of things show your family that you're serious, and that you're willing to do hard work both to maintain your convictions and to "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live in peace with all people" (Romans 12:18)

Watching you do this will also give them a constant reminder to ward off simple forgetfullness.

"SmallPaw is cooking because SmallPaw cannot eat certain kinds of foods" "SmallPaw is cleaning the house and cooking for tommorrow because tomorrow is Sabbath"

It also prepares the way for situations like the one you describe, where conflict is unavoidable.

In these kinds of situations, it might be good to take a look at other people in the Bible who've dealt with the same issues.

The book of Daniel has some good examples.

In chapter one, Daniel deals with convictions about certain kinds of foods two ways:

First he asks flat out for an exemption from the meal plan; when that doesn't work, he

a) Talks to a differant person

B) offers an alternative solution (Give us just a ten day exemption, and see how it works)

In chapter 6, Daniel simply ignores the rule not to pray, refusing to alter his behavior to even conceal the fact that he's still praying to God.

In Chapter 3, the three Hebrews first ignore the command bow down, then they <i> flat out tell the king to his face </i> that they will not do what he says, and he should not even give them a second chance.

In each case the people involved start out with a determination to do right, and then decide on strategy.

This last case is also interesting because it illustrates the effect of consistently sharing your faith with someone who disagrees (to the point of wanting to kill you).

This point of conflict was not the first time their faith had come up (See Daniel 2)

And note 3:25. Some versions say "a son of the gods" but KJV says it correctly: " He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like<i>the Son of God<i/>."

To quote EGW. "How did that heathen king know what the Son of God was like?"

She goes on to say:

"The Hebrew captives filling positions of trust in Babylon had in life and character represented before him the truth. When asked for a reason of their faith, they had given it without hesitation. Plainly and simply they had presented the principles of righteousness, thus teaching those around them of the God whom they worshiped. They had told of Christ, the Redeemer to come; and in the form of the fourth in the midst of the fire the king recognized the Son of God."

Prophets and Kings, p. 509.

One more thing to consider. Look at Prophets and Kings pages 417-418.

Note that this is refering to Jerimiah 26 - and look at what happens to a guy named Urijah in chapter 26.

Then note this statement on page 418 of PK:

"Had the prophet been intimidated by the threatening attitude of those high in authority, his message would have been without effect, and he would have lost his life; but the courage with which he delivered the solemn warning commanded the respect of the people and turned the princes of Israel in his favor. They reasoned with the priests and false prophets, showing them how unwise would be the extreme measures they advocated, and their words produced a reaction in the minds of the people. Thus God raised up defenders for His servant."

Be respectful, but stand your ground. If people sense fear and wavering, they often move in for the kill.

I pray God will fulfill these promises in your life this Sabbath

Isaiah30:20-21 "And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity, and the water of affliction, yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more, but thine eyes shall see thy teachers:

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left."

James 1:5 " If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

God bless you! Happy Sabbath.

- Michele

• Administrators

Praying!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.