ClubAdventist is back!

Your Library

lazarus

• Moderators

Surely your library contains a variety of books, not just books written by Adventist authors. Are there really people who only read SDA books?

.......a tiny minority of Adventists is now wielding unwarranted influence on the church’s educational, pastoral, and publishing ministries by stoutly insisting that no reputable thought leader should read, own, or cite from a book by a non-Adventist author. They have invaded pastors’ offices, disrupted worship services, and left a trail of litter across a smattering of Web sites.

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2013-1507&page=6

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators
Then we'd have to disqualify EGW herself because her library was full of non-SDA books! My library (which I can now carry in my MS Surface tab) has all kinds of non-SDA authors. Try having family members marry only close relatives and see what kind of children you produce! Inbreeding will soon produce funny looking kids!

• Moderators

Then we'd have to disqualify EGW herself because her library was full of non-SDA books!

I guess folks might argue that since she was a prophet she was immune. I would hazard a guess that many of those who argue against having non-SDA books on our shelves have many non-SDA books themselves because of course they too are immune.

Originally Posted By: Gordon1

Sounds like the beginning of an inquisition against that tiny minority.

How so?

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

Quote:
Surely your library contains a variety of books, not just books written by Adventist authors. Are there really people who only read SDA books?

.......a tiny minority of Adventists is now wielding unwarranted influence on the church’s educational, pastoral, and publishing ministries by stoutly insisting that no reputable thought leader should read, own, or cite from a book by a non-Adventist author. They have invaded pastors’ offices, disrupted worship services, and left a trail of litter across a smattering of Web sites.

http://www.adventistreview.org/issue.php?issue=2013-1507&page=6

i heard it like this.... don't seek out authors, particularly christian mystics and channelers of messages from god, for light to live by.

We have the Bible, and if we side step that book and the treasure trove in sop to slake our thirst then we can be lead away from what we want to hold onto. we have been given a rich trove of books to nourish our souls.

read other authors for whatever reasons you like but not to find your way to God.

Christian mysticism is a powerful connection to spiritualism and it can be very consuming and drain your walk with God.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Yes, I do have other books. But, then I have never believed God is the property of SDA's, so He speaks to all humans. I seem to remember being taught that only good comes from God, so if its good imbrace it, if not ignore it! Really quite simple if we believe our God is strong and He is our source of truth, regardless of the author.

Hadn't heard of the 'book police', have you had experience with this?

• Administrators

Don't forget HMS Richards...

There are many non-Adventist authors who had truth, albeit not the same complete understanding we do. But I do understand why some are concerned about the mystical aspect of much of today's work.

At the moment I'm still making my way through Josephus (33% through). I'm finding it an interesting insight to the Jewish mind on the Bible's history.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

And dare I say that keeping strictly to SDA authors will not guarantee exclusion from mystical influences.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

It's one of those reference books that is hundreds of pages in length. But it's a good read to those interested in Biblical history. I got it for free for my Kindle.

Right now I am going through the Antiquities and am at the point where Solomon is about to die and Rehoboam/Jeroboam take over.

There are some interesting insights that Josephus gives, such as the belief that Moses didn't actually die on Mt. Nebo but was taken up into heaven like Elijah. But no one saw that happen, that is just tradition. I thought that interesting.

Also his recounting of the splendor of Solomon's temple is mind-boggling.

I will be interested in getting to the time in history between the testaments, the Maccabean era. I may do some further personal research into that, including extra-Biblical material like the Apocrypha. I think it will help set up for me the Jewish mindset before and at the time of Jesus.

• Administrators

Most authors that I read are not Adventist. My spiritual experience has been richly blessed by many of them. And of the Adventist authors I most appreciate, it is quite evident that they read many authors who are not Adventist.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Most authors that I read are not Adventist. My spiritual experience has been richly blessed by many of them. And of the Adventist authors I most appreciate, it is quite evident that they read many authors who are not Adventist.

Yep- I've read many books, GREAT SDA books, historical material, written by authors who were very well versed in non-SDA material.

To deny our people from non-SDA material would be a great loss, IMHO.

• Moderators

Me too! Those "other sheep" seem to have a good grasp on what the Master is doing and thinking. Finally got around to reading Love Wins by Rob Bell and I think a lot of SDA's would appreciate his perspective but probably not agree with everything. Then again I don't agree with everything SDA writers say either.

Einstein

I don't take any authors theories and that includes EGW ... unless I can find scriptural backing. So - it does me no harm to get a non-SDA's take on an issue. Bottom line - I check it out with scripture. Same for SDA or non SDA authors.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Members

I read many others as well as Adventist authors. Keeps me well balanced.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• Moderators

The Review belonged to an association of something like 1000 religous journals where each journal gave a free subscription to the other journals in the association. This was so that the writers for the different journals would read each other's writings to find information, ideas, things to copy over into their names and this is how they kept having fresh issues. Mrs. White had first dibs and the journals would come to her house where she was a speed reader, read throught them, cut out what she wanted then what was left would go to others who wrote for the Review for them to read and make articles. The Review was the only Adventist journal in this association.

i heard it like this.... don't seek out authors, particularly christian mystics and channelers of messages from god, for light to live by.

You heard correctly.

Such was Leroy Froom's error - kneeling at the feet of deists for his book The Coming of the Comforter.

Imagine the chief SDA historian imbibing elsewhere for fundamental doctrine.

E.A. Sutherland (SDA MD) wrote a book to address this issue:

Living Fountains or Broken Cisterns.

He was co-founder of Madison College, TN.

One can be sure there was no Fuller Seminary textbook on Spiritual Formation.

John wrote the book Revelation warning of the wine (teachings) of Babylon. (Rev. 18:3)