ClubAdventist is back!

Dr. Carson Banned from a Commencement Speech?

Have to love diversity and tolerance

Dr. Carson Banned from a Commencement Speech?

By John Fund

March 29, 2013 4:00 P.M.

Ben Carson, the noted pediatric neurosurgeon, has become the target of a petition by Johns Hopkins students who want him removed as the medical school’s commencement speaker this spring.

Dr. Carson became a media sensation in January when he questioned Obamacare and progressive taxation in a speech to the National Prayer Breakfast as President Obama sat just a few feet away from him.

With his new prominence, Carson has apparently also riled some liberals, including these Johns Hopkins students. Last Tuesday, he told Sean Hannity of Fox News that “marriage is between a man and a woman. No group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality, it doesn’t matter what they are, they don’t get to change the definition.”

That inappropriate comparison of gays to members of the North American Man/Boy Love Association and those who practice bestiality, along with his pointed criticisms of liberal policies at the prayer breakfast, prompted a petition demanding that he be replaced with another commencement speaker. Carson has responded by telling the Baltimore Sun the following:

I think people have completely taken the wrong meaning out of what I was saying. First of all, I certainly believe gay people should have all the rights that anybody else has. What I was basically saying is that as far as marriage is concerned that has traditionally been between a man and a woman and nobody should be able to change that.

Now perhaps the examples were not the best choice of words, and I certainly apologize if I offended anyone . . . But the point that I was making was that no group of individuals, whoever they are, whatever their belief systems, gets to change traditional definitions. The reason I believe the way I do, I will readily confess, is because I am a Christian who believes in The Bible.

Carson says he is willing to forego his commencement duties if he is formally asked to. He explained to the Sun today, “This is their graduation, their big day, and if they think me being there is going to be a problem, I am happy to withdraw.”

We’ll see if his apology is accepted. If it’s not, it will become clear that an authoritarian anti-free speech mindset has set in with many gay-marriage supporters. Free and open debate is vital to discussing public-policy issues. In fact, it was liberal Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor who brought up the issue of bestiality during this week’s oral arguments on a gay-rights case, openly asking if the extension of marriage law to gays would open the courts up to lawsuits demanding equal marriage rights by polygamists and those who engage in bestiality.

Apparently, for many liberals, free-speech rights can be extended to people who agree with them or their allies, but those outside their circle had better be prepared for attempts to shut them up.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

[size:14pt]Apparently, for many liberals, free-speech rights can be extended to people who agree with them or their allies, but those outside their circle had better be prepared for attempts to shut them up.

That is exactly the problem with this whole country. I see some of it right here in this forum.

• Members

Did the school actually say that was the reason?? Because if we've already forgotten, another school wanted him removed from speaking to them!!!!! And that was way before his wonderful speech at the prayer breakfast.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Did the school actually say that was the reason?? Because if we've already forgotten, another school wanted him removed from speaking to them!!!!! And that was way before his wonderful speech at the prayer breakfast.

Yes,I think so But he did not draw a comparison.Some comments I have read are that Dr.Carson is the wrong type of black.

That inappropriate comparison of gays to members of the North American Man/Boy Love Association and those who practice bestiality, along with his pointed criticisms of liberal policies at the prayer breakfast, prompted a petition demanding that he be replaced with another commencement speaker. Carson has responded by telling the Baltimore Sun the following:

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

• Moderators

Unfortunately for Carson I think he has "hit his head". I think he will go the way of Sarah Palin.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Unfortunately for Carson I think he has "hit his head". I think he will go the way of Sarah Palin.

He will if you and your ilk have your way, I am sure. Liberals have been attacking him since day one. Why? All because he happens to be a black conservative and tells the truth, and they don't like truth.

• Moderators

Yep.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Moderators

Your bring race into it. Wow, you are obsessed. Can't you give the race issue a break?

Einstein

Your bring race into it. Wow, you are obsessed. Can't you give the race issue a break?

Not in this case. Calling a conservative black man Uncle Tom usually does have racial tones. What caused the stir and the attacks on Ben Carson was that did not express the "poor me,give me" song and dance.White or black liberals could not in anyway embrace this man.His very life,that of his mother makes a mockery of everything those that cry discrimination hold dear

• Moderators

Not in this case. Calling a conservative black man Uncle Tom usually does have racial tones. What caused the stir and the attacks on Ben Carson was that did not express the "poor me,give me" song and dance.White or black liberals could not in anyway embrace this man.His very life,that of his mother makes a mockery of everything those that cry discrimination hold dear

Of course not in this case because you are the one doing it. When we point there are always fingers pointing back. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Unfortunately, Carson is diminishing himself as each day passes. If he has political ambitions he has just driven down a cul de sac.

Einstein

Of course not in this case because you are the one doing it. When we point there are always fingers pointing back. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Do you think Dr Carson has received the threats and insults he did because he was white.Why was he called Uncle Tom,did it have anything to do with race?

• Moderators

Do you think Dr Carson has received the threats and insults he did because he was white.Why was he called Uncle Tom,did it have anything to do with race?

So when Obama supporters say criticism is as a result of race you say its the race card. Now you're playing the race card. So because he's conservative its racism. Wow.

Einstein

So when Obama supporters say criticism is as a result of race you say its the race card. Now you're playing the race card. So because he's conservative its racism. Wow.

Interesting stretch.

What Obama supporters see as racism is disliking the job he is doing as president. Crime is a code word for racism as is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich etc.This is used to prove racism. There were no code words or speculation as to what was meant concerning Dr Carson."Oreo" Uncle Tom" N@#$@#" etc left little room for doubt Dr Carson was being attacked because he was a black conservative.

Immediately following Dr Carson's speech at the prayer breakfast the attacks by white and black liberals began.

Unfortunately, Carson is diminishing himself as each day passes. If he has political ambitions he has just driven down a cul de sac.

I am sure he has,most conservatives knew that before the liberal lynching began.

Rather than looking to men like this,black or white as an inspiration to others it is considered a slap in the face.

Men like Dr Carson make a mockery of the continual whine of "give me,I am poor and it is your fault"

Dr Carson's mother makes a mockery out of single mothers that can't succeed. Her success is far more than a college degree.

She must be an amazing woman.To many amazing women like her

and whatever would happen to the welfare crowd,black or white?

Poverty and racism would no longer be shrines to kneel in front of

I just finished reading two books.

Famous Black Women of History and Pioneer Women of the Kansas Prairie.

Absolutely remarkable,strong women of courage.

If just a small portion of their work ethic,determination and self respect could be taught to the last couple of generations of whiners,welfare as we know it would not exist.It would be confined to those truly in need and unable to help themselves.

The success and achievements of many black women at a time when they never should have succeeded cannot be likened to the

black race today. White race as well, but this was dealing with black women. If the mothers of the black gang members had just a small portion of what these women were at some extremely difficult,sometimes impossible times the gang problem would be minimal.

Imagine what the black race could have or would accomplish with an influence like that of these women of history as well as women like Dr Carson's mother.

The white pioneer women of history reads the same.Dedication,work ethic,self respect and a determination to succeed.

While I would not want to see anyone struggle like these women of history did,I wonder had there been "entitlements" just because they exist if their history would read the same.

It's unfortunate that liberals would rather promote the Jessie Jacksons and Al Sharptons than those that were true hero's to their race,black or white

• Moderators

Dr Carson's mother makes a mockery out of single mothers that can't succeed.

Mockery? Mockery is a strange word to use. I would have thought inspiration, encouragement, hope. There a lot of single mothers that raise wonderful and successful kids.

Einstein

• Moderators

LOL, bonnie you are in your element now. Ride that horse.

Einstein

Mockery? Mockery is a strange word to use. I would have thought inspiration, encouragement, hope. There a lot of single mothers that raise wonderful and successful kids.

Yes,there are single mothers that raise successful kids. Have never said any different.

I do believe that the liberal left sees it as a mockery.

On welfare,food stamps,medical care,college if they choose,it still isn't enough,More and more please. Those that quietly raise their families without the whine and handout rarely make the history books or the news.The complainers and champion of the complainers are the ones that can the attention

LOL, bonnie you are in your element now. Ride that horse.

Yes,history and the behavior of people has always held a great interest for me.

Other than your lOL,maybe you would venture and answer

Had these women of history had the handouts and entitlements,black or white,do you think they would have had the drive to succeed?

I don't. They knew true unbelievable hardship,tragedy,racism,and yet achieved heights that most can't even fathom today.

I see that as a tragedy for the white race as well as the black race.Sorry that you don't

Do you think Dr Carson's mother and women like her raised their children on "the unfairness of life" we are poor,we can't" or a steady diet of people like Jessie Jackson?

Complaining on the 1% having all the money or would have encouraged them to Occupy Wall Street?

Somehow I don't think so.

Bonnie,

Only in the black community will you find that curious form of bigotry in which one man doesn't actually measure up to the racial scale set by his fellow blacks because of his political views. Seems to me Lazarus has bought into this form of bigotry.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Bonnie,

Only in the black community will you find that curious form of bigotry in which one man doesn't actually measure up to the racial scale set by his fellow blacks because of his political views. Seems to me Lazarus has bought into this form of bigotry.

Maybe that should have been "one man that rises above the racial scale set"

I would think that the mess the black community is in men like Ben Carson would be seen as a great inspiration.

He should be an inspiration to all, black and white

But it is contrary to everything the liberals stand for.

Witout victims they cease to have a reason to exist

• Moderators

Seems to me Lazarus has bought into this form of bigotry.

Lol @ Joeb. Don't get too exited you might hurt yourself. hanging

Einstein

• Moderators

Quote:
Only in the black community will you find that curious form of bigotry in which one man doesn't actually measure up to the racial scale set by his fellow blacks because of his political views.

Quote:
I would think that the mess the black community is in men like Ben Carson would be seen as a great inspiration.

There we go. Keep posting, You are evidence that Carson has hit his head and will go the way of Sarah Palin.

Einstein