ClubAdventist is back!

What do you think?

Gerr

• Moderators

Saudi court orders man to be paralyzed as an Islamic punishment

By Alastair Jamieson, Staff writer, NBC News

A young Saudi man faces being forcibly paralyzed as a punishment under Islamic sharia law for a crime that left his victim confined to a wheelchair – a ruling condemned by a human rights group Thursday.

Ali al-Khawaher, 24, was convicted of stabbing a childhood friend in the spine during a dispute a decade ago, according to reports in Saudi Arabian media including Al Hayat and Al Watan (link in Arabic).

Under sharia law, courts may set an eye-for-an-eye punishment for crimes – but victims may pardon convicts in exchange for so-called blood money.

In this case, the victim requested $533,000 – an amount he later reduced to $266,000 – but al-Khawaher’s mother told Al Hayat she did not have even a fraction of this money, meaning the court can issue an order for retribution instead.

Although the stabbing happened in 2003, the court order was only issued on Saturday.

“Ten years have passed with hundreds of sleepless nights,” Al Hayat quoted al-Khawaher's mother as saying. “My hair has become grey at a young age because of my son’s problem. I have been frightened to death whenever I think about my son’s fate and that he will have to be paralyzed.”

Amnesty International condemned the punishment.

“Paralyzing someone as punishment for a crime would be torture,” said Ann Harrison, the organization’s Middle East and North Africa deputy director.

“That such a punishment might be implemented is utterly shocking, even in a context where flogging is frequently imposed as a punishment for some offences, as happens in Saudi Arabia," she added. “It is time the authorities in Saudi Arabia start respecting their international legal obligations and remove these terrible punishments from the law.”

Saudi judges have in the past ordered sharia punishments that include tooth extraction, flogging, eye gouging and -- in murder cases -- death, Reuters reported.

U.K. Islamic commentator Ajmal Masroor told the U.K.'s Sky News channel that even most Muslims would be “startled” by the court ruling, adding: "I cannot fathom where they would find a doctor willing to carry out such an act."

The buying and selling of "indulgences" come to mind. The poor man could avoid the punishment by buying "forgiveness". I'm sure similiar things happened in the dark ages with the Pope was offering forgiveness of sin for a price. What if you couldn't afford the price? Were people maimed in some horrible way in some cases? Were some people put to death who could not buy an indulgence?

It's the same evil doer behind the scenes, the names and robes have changed.

Quote:
And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. (Exodus 21:23-25)

It sounds like this particular punishment comes straight from the Bible. And it seems like the Muslims take the Bible more literally than we do.

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

• Moderators

Is this not justice at its finest? Should not punishment fit the crime? What should be the proper punishment of this criminal? Is lex talionis barbaric? Or does it protective? Protect one from excessive punishment from retaliation?

There was a time when the Jewish Nation and the world didn't have "Kings" or "leaders" per se. It was in all respects, the "wild west". Every man did what he thought was right.

That was then, this is now. Rightfully so, society does not, cannot condone "stoning" and other methods that HAD to be employed in ancient times. This is Gods will, it is right and just that such things were put away. The punishment for crime, for sin, had not changed, it remains "death". What has changed is how the sentence will be carried out. Some aspects have been left to man, some aspects have been left to God.

The "eye for an eye" principle remains, God will be the judge in due time. Man needs to be very careful not to enter into Gods realm in carrying this out today.

I don't think "eye for an eye" means what other people thinks it means. I think it got misinterpreted. I think it means that if you take someone's eye then you become their eyes. In other words if you harm someone permanently, you take care of that person or their family for life. Would that not be a better punishment? Knowing beforehand that if you harm someone you will be responsible for their medical bills and care for the rest of their lives, and if you kill someone you have to take care of their family for the rest of your life? Thus leaving the judging and atoning for sin to GOD.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Moderators

Since governments are God's appointed keeper of the sword, what would be the "just" punishment that a court could impose in this case?

• Administrators

And good thoughts, too! What would be better for punishment than to have to view the victim's world through his shoes and take responsibility for their current state?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Wonderful concept Liz. Heart breaking for both parties, a lifetime of pain, for both. Punishment? Reality! The high cost of sin and the pain it brings to so many. A very fitting interpretation of the verse in question.

It's a form of protection and prevention of an escalation of violence. This is actually the most humaine solution over there.

It's hard for westerners to understand the cultural approach to this. Not the whole world functions based on our rules.

Keep calm and live forever! (:

What is someone is found guilty of rape? Although for some of these young hoods that commit murder them and their family should be executed. Actually, all politicians that voted for the NDAA should be tried for treason and hung. Publicly. Sorry to sound so hard, but sometimes a message has to be sent. And Liz, you're correct.

Eye for an eye?...soon the world would be blind. I guess forgiveness isn't in everyone's vocabulary.

Wakan Tanka Kici Un

~~Child of Christ~~

I believe the original command was aimed at eliminating excess punishment.

I.E. take only an eye for an eye, don't go past that.

Make the penalty commensurate with the crime.

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Moderators

Eye for an eye?...soon the world would be blind. I guess forgiveness isn't in everyone's vocabulary.

Sooooo, what should be the just punishment of this man who caused paralysis and ruination of another person's life? Nothing?

From Fiddler on the Roof:

Villager: An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.

Tevye: Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless.

Quote:
Man needs to be very careful not to enter into Gods realm in carrying this out today.

God's realm!

"Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone who sins against me? Seven times?”

“No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven!"Matthew 18:21-22 NLT

This is something I received from a forwarded email. Seems to fit here.

Quote:

WHAT IS AN INFIDEL ?

This is a true story and the author,

Rick Mathes, is a well-known

Leader in prison ministry

The man who walks with God always gets to his destination. If you have a pulse you have a purpose.

The Muslim religion is the fastest growing religion per capita in the United States , especially in the minority races!!

Last month I attended my annual training session that's required for maintaining my state prison security clearance...

During the training session there was a presentation by three speakers representing the Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths , who each explained their beliefs.

I was particularly interested in what the Islamic had to say. The Muslim gave a great presentation of the basics of Islam, complete with a video. After the presentations, time was provided for questions and answers then it was my turn. I directed my question to the Muslim and asked:

'Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a holy jihad [Holy war] against the infidels of the world and, that by killing an infidel, (which is a command to all Muslims) they are assured of a place in heaven. If that's the case, can you give me the definition of an infidel?'

There was no disagreement with my statements and, without hesitation, he replied, ' Non-believers! '

I responded, 'So, let me make sure I have this straight. All followers of Allah have been commanded to kill everyone who is not of your faith so they can have a place in heaven.

Is that correct?'

The expression on his face changed from one of authority and command to that of a little boy who had just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He sheepishly replied, 'Yes.'

I then stated, 'Well, sir, I have a real problem trying to imagine The Pope commanding all Catholics to kill those of your faith or Dr. Stanley ordering all Protestants to do the same in order to guarantee them a place in heaven!'

The Muslim was speechless! I continued,'I also have a problem with being your friend when you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me!

Let me ask you a question:

Would you rather have your Allah, who tells you to kill me in order for you to go to heaven, or my Jesus who tells me to love you because I am going to heaven and He wants you to be there with me?'

You could have heard a pin drop as

The Imam hung his head in shame.

Needless to say, the organizers and/or promoters of the 'Diversification' training seminar were not happy with my way of dealing with the Islamic Imam, and exposing the truth about the Muslims' beliefs.

In twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S.. To elect the President!

I think everyone in the U.S. Should be required to read this, but with the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized, unless each of us sends it on!

This is your chance to make a difference....

FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.....SEND THIS ON . .

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Moderators

Was it not the same Jesus who said, "Lover your enemies" and "Forgive 70x7" who said, "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, burn for burn?"

How long can a society survive without justice?

• Administrators

let him start making payments, if the family is asking for payments that would be ebtter then making unable to work and make the payments.

if it was accidental and he was at fault, in the usa he would be sued and have to pay a percentage of his income for as long as the courts deemed.

sounds like it was attempted murder, better he work and make payments then sit in jail or be made paralyzed also.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

Was it not the same Jesus who said, "Lover your enemies" and "Forgive 70x7" who said, "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, burn for burn?"

How long can a society survive without justice?

Love expresses itself in different ways to protect in all cases.

When a serial killer is required to give his life in the name of justice, for the threat he poses to others, many lives are saved as a result of the one that was required. And some of those lives saved may never know until they meet their guardian angel in the kingdom, they arrived as a direct result of someone elses'

life being forfeited, the most illustrious life taken being the life of Jesus Who died in place of the murderer, that we might live.

Go cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!