ClubAdventist is back!

Inviting complete strangers to church--how irresponsible?

noa777

I was at a mall today and managed to strike a conversation with a complete stranger. He sounded like a normal guy. So i introduced my faith and invited him to our church since he's local. I wanted him to hear the good news and be saved. But i don't know this guy. some voice in my mind told me what I did is wrong?? i mean, what if this guy is a pedophile? there are a lot of children at church...running around as if it's their home. What's your take on this? Please help. I am a bit confused.

• Administrators

Pedophiles NEED Jesus, too! I would watch the door for him to arrive and befriend him. :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

While we have to exercise caution when warranted I would follow this counsel:

Imagine no evil against your brother.

The fear of pedo's and sex offenders for the most part is WAY overblown! He's a guest, imagine no evil of him without cause. As a guest someone should be near or with him, watching over him, without breathing down his neck. He's not teaching or preaching, compell him to come in and hear the good news!

I agree. This is actually my first time ever in my christian experience reaching out to someone, lost child of God. Maybe the evil spirit is capable of planting an idea in our mind to discourage us from carrying out the great commission?

The church is for the sick....just like the hospital. I guess this idea of "what-if", in retrospect, stemed from selfishness. If this so-called "stranger" were to do something evil(God forbid,) I will be sharing the blame since I'm the one who invited him. I wanted to protect "me." Irrational fear. It's a fear culture we live in. We're constantly bombarded with negative news, the work of the Devil, so these impure ideas pop up in our minds when we carry out the God's work. I have already stopped watching local news to curb the paranoia but I guess it takes time to de-program our minds from the paranoia the media feeds us.

Thank you guys for the response. I think i'm at peace now. I'll continue inviting as many people as the Holy Spirit leads me to.

I think your onto something with the TV thing. It's only been a few months since I quit watching all together.

First it was NCIS (loved that show), then I started thinking about "what so ever things are lovely,,,", so that one had to go. Slowly, over time, one show after another until I just called and cancelled cable TV and don't have rabbit ears.

I'm OK with it, spend more time studying now!

Is the church a hospital for the sick?

Or is it a place to feel safe at home?

Our society sees wisdom in making hospitals and homes two distinctly different places. There is no confusion.

• Administrators

The church is more then a hospital, more then a home. It is the place we come before the highest authority in the universe. God who is merciful to all, also does not overlook any sin.

Isaiah 56:7

I will bring them to my holy mountain of Jerusalem and will fill them with joy in my house of prayer. I will accept their burnt offerings and sacrifices, because my Temple will be called a house of prayer for all nations.

It is God that brings us to Him, we otherwise could never come to him.

Revelation 22:17

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.” Let anyone who hears this say, “Come.” Let anyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who desires, drink freely from the water of life.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

It is never wrong to invite anyone to church. It is not up to us to decide who is "worthy" of Jesus and who is not. We are to make disciples out of all nations, kindreds, tongues and people. Jesus saves to the "guttermost".

John Wimbler (founder of Vineyard Ministries) once told a story about a disillusioned Vineyard pastor who has very upset about all the drug dealers, users, prostitutes, and other classes of "undesireables coming to his church - probably arranging or even "transacting" inside or close to the church. He said the pastor later had a dream where Jesus reminded him that he was the one that wanted to convert the sick, weary, and poor. Jesus told him "here they are!"

Too many of us look to church as a fortress against the evils of the world; and keep Jesus to ourselves by discouraging the riff-raff from participating. It's time to take Jesus out of the church and bring Him into the streets. If we don't proclaim the Gospel to the sick and needy, how will they ever learn of Him? Let's quit trembling in our pews and finish this war against evil, so we can go home. Jesus will return to lead His army once He has an army willing to be led!

• Members

I agree JoeMo, but sometimes you do get a gut feeling about someone. I remember once driving and there was a hitch hiker and I got this sign or something, I believe from God, that said its ok to pick him/her up. I usually don't ever pickup hitch hikers, and I usually don't get feelings like that, that was a rare thing. There are other examples, but that will do for now.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

So true, brother! I think if we listen, God may "encourage" us to seek out or approach certain people; and give us wisdom on how to approach them.

Over the years I've talked to a lot of people about God. Invited some of them to church, and some I didn't. I've even picked up a few hitchhikers and talked to them about God. I've even given one or two of them some money. Sometimes the last $20 I had to my name at the time. (Wow, have I been castigated for that by some people I know.)

I've experienced some pretty amazing things while witnessing. One time there were glasses and dishes smashed in kitchen while I was talking with and praying for someone I knew from my old days in the drug scene. That led to an honest conversation about the dangers of playing with Ouiji boards as my friend told me how he used to see spirits in bedroom after playing with it. That led to a great conversation about the power of God.

All I know about all of this is that God led me to each witnessing experience I've ever had. I would say, never stop witnessing. Never stop talking about what God has done for you. It matters not what other people think of you, say about you, or do to you for witnessing and caring about those you come in contact with. God knows what's in your heart and why you've done what you've done, and His is the only opinion that matters.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

• Members

Over the years I've talked to a lot of people about God. Invited some of them to church, and some I didn't. I've even picked up a few hitchhikers and talked to them about God. I've even given one or two of them some money. Sometimes the last $20 I had to my name at the time. (Wow, have I been castigated for that by some people I know.)

I've experienced some pretty amazing things while witnessing. One time there were glasses and dishes smashed in kitchen while I was talking with and praying for someone I knew from my old days in the drug scene. That led to an honest conversation about the dangers of playing with Ouiji boards as my friend told me how he used to see spirits in bedroom after playing with it. That led to a great conversation about the power of God.

All I know about all of this is that God led me to each witnessing experience I've ever had. I would say, never stop witnessing. Never stop talking about what God has done for you. It matters not what other people think of you, say about you, or do to you for witnessing and caring about those you come in contact with. God knows what's in your heart and why you've done what you've done, and His is the only opinion that matters.

:like:

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}