ClubAdventist is back!

What is your book to e-book ratio?

Gail

• Administrators

How much of your current reading material is electronic?

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

Not very much for me - got an e-reader for Christmas but my wife pinched it! I might load up a few books for my flight to the US in July, but will also be lugging along a paper book.

Perhaps it's that I mainly read fiction, for pleasure, but e-books have just never really worked right for me...

Truth is important

I own over 2500 books, 3 e-books. I think my wife has 1 e-book on her tablet.
I bought a Bauhn e-book reader from Aldi for $50. It also plays videos, but I haven't used it for that. Many of my books are pdf because they are cheaper than hard copies, especially with postage included. It reads text downloaded from the Gutenberg project, epub, pdf, mobi and a few more.

It can store hundreds of books - I have about ten on at the moment using about 1/16th of the 4GB memory. It's back-lit, so reading in low light is no problem. I can sort the books into directories of my own liking. Each book can have multiple bookmarks to which I can go. And it's small and light. There is no comparison between it and paper books. The convenience is just so great. Paper will go.

• Moderators

Like EC and Bravus I have very few e-books, about 7 on my Macbook kindle app. E-books take the excitement out of reading and buying books for me.

Our local library has a store that sells used books. It's only open one day a week and at really odd hours. Last week I found an old Churchill hardback bio for $1 after searching for a few minutes. Of course I could click on the mouse and get it but its not the same. By the time I get around to reading it it will already have a history of its own. Sentimental, I know but there's something about turning those pages and the smell older books that is part of the experience.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Members

How much of your current reading material is electronic?

Bupkis

phkrause

Obstinacy is a barrier to all improvement. - ChL 60

I got a Nook for Christmas, at first I didn't think I would use it all that much, but I do! I have several of the complete works of a couple of my favorite authors. I don't have that much shelf space and what I do have is crammed full of books. So now the only books I do buy are on my Nook.

For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26

Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.

• Administrators

Kindle app on my laptop, phone and IPad mini with almost 40 books. Most of those are free books. And I have a few PDF versions of books. Also have Bible app on phone and iPad wih 27 versions downloaded.

But my library of hard copy books is still way beyond that. I don't have a number, but not as many as EC. Just recenty cleared out a few boxes of books to give away for a used book sale the GC Women's Ministies Department has at the time of Annual Council and Spring Council. The proceeds go to fund scholarships for women. I really had to clear out some of my books since all book cases are full and have piles of books stacked here and there. I even threw out a quite a few that I am sure I hav no further use for and that nobody else would likely take even for free.

I am also moving into the e-magazine subscription (free and paid) arena. Tired of piles of magazines. Two that I am finding as better than print are National Geographic and Reader's Digest, both of with have similar format/interface and bonus materials such as videos, etc.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

I also have a Kindle, as well as the Kindle app for iPad and iPhone.

So far I think I have purchased one book at $14.99, because my son recommended the author so much (Greg Boyd). Otherwise it is free books for me, mostly. If I am looking for something I usually won't hesitate to pay .99

I do patronize Project Gutenberg, too, and have some PDFs in my library.

I still use real books a lot. Like Laz there is just something about a book in the hand. I highlight and Post-it all over the place and that way it's really easy to review stuff that especially impresses me.

And like Tom I have 2 full bookshelves just in my bedroom so that my Bibles can be close at hand. Besides those there are the piles. and piles. :(

I am interested in people's views about their books. There is discussion about our ABC and its future and I like to keep in touch with whoever I can to see where the general public is at.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

it is real books for me.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

My e-book to real book ratio? Not near enough: too many, as far as my sweetie is concerned.

And I do have several duplicates in each column...as e-books don't do you very well when your device is out of power, and/or you don't have recharging availability...

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

• Administrators
thumbsup

• Members

I also have a Kindle, as well as the Kindle app for iPad and iPhone.

So far I think I have purchased one book at $14.99, because my son recommended the author so much (Greg Boyd). Otherwise it is free books for me, mostly. If I am looking for something I usually won't hesitate to pay .99

I do patronize Project Gutenberg, too, and have some PDFs in my library.

I still use real books a lot. Like Laz there is just something about a book in the hand. I highlight and Post-it all over the place and that way it's really easy to review stuff that especially impresses me.

And like Tom I have 2 full bookshelves just in my bedroom so that my Bibles can be close at hand. Besides those there are the piles. and piles. :(

I am interested in people's views about their books. There is discussion about our ABC and its future and I like to keep in touch with whoever I can to see where the general public is at.

I just recently bought my grandson an ipad mini. So what is this kindle app that's needed?

phkrause

• Administrators

It is a free app to download and read e-books from Amazon.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Administrators

Not so much of a catch as a limitation of a sort. Like the Kindle readers, you can only use it for books from Amazon. They do have quite a few free books available on Amazon. There may be some functional limitations, such as a few features that may be available on the Kindle readers. But since this is all I have, I can't make a comparison. Gail, you have both. Any differences?

• Members

Thanks for the info Tom, I'll check into it and see what I can get. I hope there are books for my grandson.

phkrause

• Administrators

Here is a link to free children's books on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=childrens+books+for+kindle+free&sprefix=Children%2Cdigital-text%2C348

You can download the app frm the App Store on the iPad. It has a store button to connect you to Amazon's Kindle store.

I think the convenience of E-Books is great, but I guess I am a purist. I love the smell and feel of paper books. I love the way you can tell how much the book has been enjoyed based on its condition.

• Administrators

Back to Tom and pkrause:

With Kindle you can also e-mail files to your device. When you register you are assigned an e-mail address. Some of the things I download are PDFs.

But when you purchase or download free books from Amazon, they will be available to any of your Kindle devices for downloading. Handy!

But the sweet thing is that other sites besides Amazon do offer books in a Kindle format. Project Gutenberg is a great place to try

• Administrators

The Kindle also has an internal dictionary which comes in handy for me since the books I have are mainly old classics or historical.