ClubAdventist is back!

An interesting observation on Sunday Laws.

Sojourner

In my city in Australia there are some problems occurring over wages being paid to staff that work on Sunday. As it stands, anyone who works on a Sunday in Australia and many other countries around the world are required to recieve double time as they would on a Public Holiday, Christmas Day and Good Friday are Triple time for those that work on those days.

An employers group here tried to challenge it and failed, the paying of Double Time on Sundays has been enshrined in law as a result. What we are now seeing is more and more stores actually closing on Sundays because they are not getting enough people through the doors to make it worth their while, or so they claim anyway.

So it occurs to me that if more and more firms do that, as they are in more and more countries then we will have a universal Sunday law by stealth.

I am not sure if this is the case in the U.S or in Canada, but its interesting to study anyway!

• Members

Are you talking government jobs or private sector jobs?

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Quote:
So it occurs to me that if more and more firms do that, as they are in more and more countries then we will have a universal Sunday law by stealth.

I work for the Federal government.

I provide clinical care to patients in a hospital.

On a rotatilng basis, I work some Sabbaths.

I recieve extra pay for workign those Saturdays.

Is this a universal Sabbath law by stealth?

Gregory

• Administrators

I'm in Canada and I work some Sundays. I do not get paid double time.

Here in our province it works that overtime is time and a half, statutary holidays are double time.

What you are seeing in Aus may be a Sunday law by stealth; it may be one way that the universal Sunday law we anticipate will manifest itself. It may be a start. It may be totally unrelated.

Prophecies are best understood once the come to pass.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Moderators

I do not get double time for working on Saturday.

I do not get time and a half for working on Saturday.

I get 1.25 for working on Saturday and Sunday.

Gregory

• Moderators

I work 3 weekends a month, no special pay for any non-governmental recognized holiday

• Moderators

Quote:

Yes. The purpose of Biblical prophecy is not to predict the future. It is to let God's peoploe know, at the time that they occur, that God has forseen and has it under control. God's purpose will ultimately come to be.

Gregory

• Moderators

We always need to remember that the issue it self is liberty of conscience. That Sabbath and Sunday will be a test for the Christian world. There may be something coming that may look like our expectation is going to be fulfilled, but then pass by, our guard goes down and the bigger issue comes a long and we are not ready because it does not come wearing the Sabbath-Sunday outfit that we are expecting.

Quote:

Yes. The purpose of Biblical prophecy is not to predict the future. It is to let God's peoploe know, at the time that they occur, that God has forseen and has it under control. God's purpose will ultimately come to be.

I would be cautious in suggesting this. Frankly, why call them prophecies if we define them according to the daily news paper. It leaves prophecy up to interpretation by this standard. This is the method used by dispensationalist which obviously are in error. Yes, we can see the fulfillment of prophesy when things come to past, yet, we have a good understanding prior to their fulfillment.

• Moderators

Quote:
. . . , we have a good understanding prior to their fulfillment.

The history of the SDA Chruch bears witness to the fact that we have often not had a good understanding prior to fulfillment.

Gregory

Quote:
The purpose of Biblical prophecy is not to predict the future. It is to let God's people know, at the time that they occur, that God has foreseen and has it under control.

Agree! I believe Christ told his disciples that "when these things come to pass, then you will know...."(paraphrase)

What happens when we try to predict the future....

Quote:
The history of the SDA Chruch bears witness to the fact that we have often not had a good understanding prior to fulfillment.

Agree!

• Administrators

we are not good at predicting God, we have no reference in our human nature for the divine.

the disciples did not comprehend the sacrifice of Christ because it was outside of their frame of reference.

they suffered a great disappointment, which led them to soul searching and humility of heart. Then they learned more and more bible study and as in the walk to Emmaus. They were taught that Christ fulfilled every one of the religious ceremonial laws that was given from the sacrifice of the lamb at Eden to the sanctuary services. These described who he was and what he was going to do, and they embraced his sacrifice. It took lots of bible study and prayer, and they were prepared to receive more of the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit.

This was paralleled by the great disappointment of the advent pioneers, because the reality of the movement of Christ in his ministry was outside of their frame of reference. The disappointment led to soul searching and humility of heart, Bible study and learning, and preparation to Receive more of the Holy Spirit.

we are very human, and we really need God to help us at every turn if it has anything to do with knowing God's will, understanding his plans and how he is working, and to be co-operating with what God is doing.

Human history has shown we need to be humble and praying and studying God's messages very much in order to be tuned to what he is doing and what he is going to do.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

we are not good at predicting God, we have no reference in our human nature for the divine.

the disciples did not comprehend the sacrifice of Christ because it was outside of their frame of reference.

I agree. Our only paradigm is one that includes sin. That makes it almost impossible for us to even imagine a being, or a world, without sin. Only God can open our minds enough to allow us see outside our natural paradigm.

Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote:

thumbsup

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Does anyone know how many prophecies are left to be fulfilled before the return of Christ?

ALL the signs of His coming that Jesus gave us ... have been fulfilled.

I believe in Hematology.

Quote:
The purpose of Biblical prophecy is not to predict the future. It is to let God's people know, at the time that they occur, that God has foreseen and has it under control.

Agree! I believe Christ told his disciples that "when these things come to pass, then you will know...."(paraphrase)

What happens when we try to predict the future....

Quote:

Agree!

thumbsupthumbsup

I believe in Hematology.

Does anyone know how many prophecies are left to be fulfilled before the return of Christ?

Rev 16 - 7 last plagues have not happened.

Rev 15:8 close of probation has not happened.

Rev 7:1-4 the four angels have not let go of the 4 winds nor have all the saints been sealed.

Rev 13 - the "Signs and wonders" have not happened, nor the mark of the beast, nor the image to the beast.

2Thess 2 the man of sin that works with all the power of Satan - has not been revealed.

Rev 13 - the lamb like beast has not yet spoken like a dragon.

in Christ,

Bob

John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free

“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.