ClubAdventist is back!

Rock Music in Praise and Worship

Sojourner

Just wondering if there are churches in the US and Canada that eschew traditional hymns and instruments in favor of modern rock music for worship backed up with modern electric instruments?

• Members

Not sure about Adventist churches, but there are a number of other Christian Churches that do.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

Walter Veith's ministry along with Brian Neaumann has shed much about the subject of having rock music part of the worship. If I can paraphrase Veith: He loves it, as it proves that Christ's return is not far off!

There are some that do, Sojourner - and many that don't.

Some Adventist churches - this would be particularly true of the >600 member churches - do have a "contemporary" service, complete with sound set and full band with...drums.

There are also many churches composed of people who think that if the music in service has a modern rock/country beat to it, it is unacceptable for worship service (though they would not oppose someone privately listening on their mp3 or stereo).

Every time the subject of modern music in worship service is brought up, the point of "drums in the church" will be raised at some point.

The subject can be touchy - but people need to remember that while today, some of our most cherished hymns have music composed and arranged by the classical greats - but in the day they were composed, some churches considered them unfit for worship...they were the "rock 'n roll" of their day.

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

Please define "rock music". Is any music less than 100 years old considered rock? If a guitar or any percussion instrument used, is it considered "rock"? Is Kari Jobe music "rock"? How about Jesus Culture? Chris Tomlin? Mercy Me? Third Day, maybe? Or Steven Curtis Chapman?

I didn't know just melody and rhythm could be satanic. Words to music could be considered satanic; but just the music?

We use guitars and electronic keyboards in our service. Sometimes someone shows up with drums. Sometimes people raise their hands and sway back and forth. Sometimes people cry. Is that bad?

Although I have heard some Christian music out there that may not be appropriate for use in church (although perfectly acceptable for a concert), that doesn't mean that the devil has to have a monopoly on all the good modern music out there.

Chris Tomlin, Kari Jobe, and Hillsong United are playing Red Rocks here in Denver in June. Does going to that concert condemn me to hell? I'm thinking of sending my daughters to a Jesus Culture conference in LA this summer. Am I sending them to hell in doing so?

JoeMo, I suspect Sojourner was inquiring about Seventh-day Adventist Churches recognized by the Conference.

There is a small Church in my area attended predominately by folks that identify with Seventh-day Adventists, worship on Sabbath, but are not recognized by the Conference. It is their hope that one day they might attain such recognition.

They use a full typical rock and roll style band for praise and worship. Friday night praise and music service is very popular with the folks from that Church. They might sing some traditional songs along with more modern songs. I was uncomfortable with the format myself as well as several other aspects of the service as well.

I'd rather not risk blurring the line between acceptable Christian worship and worldy rock bands myselfs.

Hey, Club,

I understand people's diverse tastes in music genres. I also acknowledge that there are some "Christian" songs that should not be part of a worship service; just as there are songs that are more suitable for special music than for group singing. There are always choices. If a person is uncomfortable with the form of worship at one church (I'm speaking in general - not being SDA specific), they can surely find another church of the same denomination that presents worship in a way that is more suited to their taste. My personal opinion is that music is a matter of taste. What may be scandalous to one person may be a blessing to another.

I was in a choir a few years back when we did a complete performance of Handel's Messiah. We nailed it! Nonetheless, some walked out of the service because they felt it was too grandiose and self-glorifying to honor God. Others were "shocked to the point of tears" at the standing ovation from the congregation after the performance, because it glorified the choir rather than God. Others were bored to tears because it was all classical music. Who was right?

BTW, there are many churches (at least here in the Western U.S.)where contemporary music is well accepted as part of worship. Contemporary doesn't always mean rock; it simply means writeen in the past 50 years; or new arrangements of old favorites. I have rearranged several old favorites (like "showers of Blessing" and "in the Garden") to make them suitable for guitar.

It is a very complex subject JoeMo, Sister White gives some counsel on it but it's still very subjective and difficult to nail down.

The one principle that struck me was how difficult it is for the performers to avoid the exaltation of self. When self rises and become a focal point it is one of Gods laws that spiritual awareness decreases in an equal or greater measure. That prinicple holds true for a Minister giving a sermon as well. Anytime self is allowed to come into play, spiritual impact (the Holy Spirit) is reduced. This is such a serious problem, self approval, that Sister White says we should NEVER praise Pastors. She doesn't say, "Be careful", she says NEVER!

You mention some walked out because they felt the Handels Messiah (which I just LOVE, by the way) was "too grandiose and self-glorifying to honor God". They might be onto something! Perhaps not the music or the performers, but the reaction of the audience was the problem. The applause and praise is another factor to consider in the music realm. It would have made me sad that such a wonderful piece might put the performers at risk of an "ego attack" and steal the glory from God. So HOW do you praise God and have a thankful joyful heart after a terrific song like that in a way that doesn't put the performers at risk? Perhaps in the same way you should approach the Pastor after a particularly stirring sermon, very carefully. THINK about what you will say that will acknowledge the great blessing you received, through the Fathers servant, without praising the servant!

Religious concerts are ripe for this kind of "ego abuse", regardless of the humility the performers might express. They are in danger. Bear in mind, the youth are not exactly aware of spiritual things and rarely "solemn", they to are at risk of getting "carried away". Jesus was happy and smiling, but He was also solemn and serious, always deeply aware of the condition of man. A man of tears, but with a smile on His face!!

Difficult to nail this down... Stay close to Christ, consider carefully the needs of your flock and the needs of those around you.

• Administrators

there is contemporary music with percussion that is suitable for church. drums or percussion is in most all recorded music. the piano is considered a percussion instrument as the strings are struck with hammers. it keeps rhythm very well.

but when i go to church and the music is really rock and roll, and i am more inclined to dance then to pray or praise God. then i know it is not centered in God. it can have all kinds of religious words in the lyrics, but it may not direct the listener to God, but to the message of the medium of the music. there is sensual music that is not stimulating to the spiritual life.

i like contemporary christian music generally. and everyone will have their favorites. but, for those who have never been in a dance bar, they may not be able to be sensitive to the feelings ands responses of those who have.

i understand those who sang, A mighty fortress is our God, may have sung that melody drunk in a german bar... but then i see it more as a drinking folk song with frothy mugs swinging in time, not a boogie woogie dance song.

i don't think we can bring anything to the alter and ask God's blessing on it, and it is all accepted. Cain thought he brought something good enough, but it wasn't. Worship is a spiritual offering.

there is a verse that says, only of thine own do we bring thee.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

This is currently a favourite praise and worship "rock song" being played in many churches across Australia and at least one SDA congregation near here that I am aware of. Its a blend of an old hymn and contempory words and music. Very interested in your critique of it, in case the link does not work in the US because of licensing issues on you tube, its called "Cornerstone" and its by "Hillsong", if put that into Youtube you will find it okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLxZEU02uI&feature=share&list=FLjcZEpkouyDJijv2QlbCVLg

I am not aware of any particular instrument or music style that is officially approved by God. Nor any that are specifically disapproved by God.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

• Administrators

This is currently a favourite praise and worship "rock song" being played in many churches across Australia and at least one SDA congregation near here that I am aware of. Its a blend of an old hymn and contempory words and music. Very interested in your critique of it, in case the link does not work in the US because of licensing issues on you tube, its called "Cornerstone" and its by "Hillsong", if put that into Youtube you will find it okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLxZEU02uI&feature=share&list=FLjcZEpkouyDJijv2QlbCVLg

Words convey a good worshipful message. The music is easily sung by worshipers. Instruments at appropriate levels to allow for the vocals to be heard and understood. A contemporary style, but I wouldn't describe it as a "rock" song. Quite tame in comparison to other popular CCM.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Oh you made an EXCELLENT point there Tom about music. Can we hear and understand the WORDS??? If not, thats a big problem, it's confusion. And this also is a point Ellen White talks about as well, hearing and understanding the words of a song.

I am not aware of any particular instrument or music style that is officially approved by God. Nor any that are specifically disapproved by God.

Harps....?

angelnot

Quote:
This is currently a favourite praise and worship "rock song" being played in many churches across Australia and at least one SDA congregation near here that I am aware of.

Listened to the song - loved it. I use Hillsong music alot in the praise service I lead. I also use the music of Jesus Culture, Matt Redman, and Chris Tomlin a lot.

I agree with Tom and Club that the words are much more important than the music. Music sets the tone (no pun intended) for the message; but the words themselves are the message. Without anointed words, the music is pretty much meaningless (at least for a participative praise service).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

i don't think we can bring anything to the alter and ask God's blessing on it, and it is all accepted. Cain thought he brought something good enough, but it wasn't. Worship is a spiritual offering.

there is a verse that says, only of thine own do we bring thee.

Can you imagine "My Hope is Built" sang to the tune of "Hound Dog", or the Sermon on the Mt delivered through Hip-Hop?

The cover article on the May issue of CT is titled "Why the Gospel Needs Hip-Hop".

For some reason, when something is baptized or given a Christian name it is accepted no matter its origin.

• Administrators

For some reason, when something is baptized or given a Christian name it is accepted no matter its origin.

thinking

Baptism... Yes, that does seem to be what it does for people too.

This business of redemption is quite transformational...

To take the name "Christian" has been known to take many sinners from their horrid origin and miraculously repurpose them to amazing and wonderful new things.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

To me, music is a direct link to the heart, where God dwells. Worship and praise songs are prayer set to music and sent from the heart. It sets the tone for prayerful and spirit-filled learning.

I never did get a response to a definition of "rock music". If, by rock music, one means screaming electric guitar s major drumkit, bass guitars, and 120 decibels, there is some rock music in several SDA churches around here in either contemporary or "blended" services. If one simply means music played on electrically amplified keyboards and guitars because small churches rent facilities that don't have a "traditional" piano or organ, lots of churches do that. Both church I play at do that. I arrange traditional hymns for an acoustic guitar; and mix those with well - accepted contemporary Christian music. Any problems with that?

• Administrators

I will tell you what bothers me.... I like Jesus Culture, but their songs tend to be too long. I have a problem with most songs that go 10 minutes, especially when the middle is a section used as a sort of time to "invoke" God's presence. It seems to me to be trance-like. It turned me off from their later CDs.

I understand that's a thing that the evangelicals do, but I don't get it, and I get bored easily.

I do prefer a regular hymn sung with the sense (understanding) of the words. I do like modern praise music if the songs are kept short and not repeated over and over. To me that seems like the prayers of the priests on Mt. Carmel as opposed to Elijah's simple but effective prayer.

Not sure why I think the way I do, and I have no idea of the "rightness" of it. That is just my personal preference.

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

• Administrators

this song is not rock and roll as i know it.

i can worship through this music.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Moderators

thinking

Baptism... Yes, that does seem to be what it does for people too.

This business of redemption is quite transformational...

To take the name "Christian" has been known to take many sinners from their horrid origin and miraculously repurpose them to amazing and wonderful new things.

Does baptism transform everyone? Is rap or ccm transformed when it is baptized? Try Amazing Grace to the tune of Houng Dog or some heavy metal beat.

• Administrators

I have a Celtic Punk version of Amazing Grace... It speaks of God's amazing grace to punk rockers. They understand. Amazing grace for Celtic punk rockers.

Have you ever encountered someone wearing leather and accessorized in much metal and tattoos speak of the love of Jesus and what a difference He has made in their life?

CCM includes many contemporary musical genres, including rap. I would say that CCM has already been baptized.

And no, baptism itself transforms nobody. But that is not what I said. I said that redemption is transformational. Redemption is more than baptism.

My reference to baptism was merely taking my cue from what you said, "For some reason, when something is baptized or given a Christian name it is accepted no matter its origin." I simply said that it does the same thing for people. One certainly hopes so at least.