ClubAdventist is back!

Rock Music in Praise and Worship

Sojourner

Quote:
I do like modern praise music if the songs are kept short and not repeated over and over.

I agree, Gail. I'm a big fan of contemporary Christian music; but 7-11 songs (same 7 words repeated 11 times) really turn me off.

Can any single worship service cater to the musical needs of all those who come to worship? Can any single worship service refrain from offending musically at least some of the worshipers?

Quote:
Can any single worship service cater to the musical needs of all those who come to worship? Can any single worship service refrain from offending musically at least some of the worshipers?

It's possible to meet the needs of a completely homogenous group of worshippers; but in a practical sense, where is one gonna find that? My solution - if you don't like the music at the church you're currently attending, start attending a different church. Naturally one of your own denomination would probably be your first choice.

bwink

• Moderators

I would not presume to speak for those who listen to rap or heavy metal. If this genre of of "music" brings them closer to Jesus, who am I to argue with them? All I can tell you is when someone in another vehicle playing that type of music played in earthshaking volume passes me by, my reaction of what I feel like doing is unmentionable.

It's possible to meet the needs of a completely homogenous group of worshippers; but in a practical sense, where is one gonna find that? My solution - if you don't like the music at the church you're currently attending, start attending a different church. Naturally one of your own denomination would probably be your first choice.

bwink

An acceptable solution for some; what of the others who will not worship with a denomination other than their own?

• Members

I would not presume to speak for those who listen to rap or heavy metal. If this genre of of "music" brings them closer to Jesus, who am I to argue with them? All I can tell you is when someone in another vehicle playing that type of music played in earthshaking volume passes me by, my reaction of what I feel like doing is unmentionable.

me, too...

(but I admit to one counter-attack by playing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture by the London Philharmonic, complete with cannons, courtesy the London Philharmonic Orchestra...)

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo

me, too...

(but I admit to one counter-attack by playing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture by the London Philharmonic, complete with cannons, courtesy the London Philharmonic Orchestra...)

Regarding the 1812 Overture...got to see that performed live at the Woodlands (just north of Houston, TX) with the Houston Symphony - complete with cannons! Excellent performance!

Blessings,

"As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17

"The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings

"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne

"The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan

JoeMo, I suspect Sojourner was inquiring about Seventh-day Adventist Churches recognized by the Conference.

There is a small Church in my area attended predominately by folks that identify with Seventh-day Adventists, worship on Sabbath, but are not recognized by the Conference. It is their hope that one day they might attain such recognition.

They use a full typical rock and roll style band for praise and worship. Friday night praise and music service is very popular with the folks from that Church. They might sing some traditional songs along with more modern songs. I was uncomfortable with the format myself as well as several other aspects of the service as well.

I'd rather not risk blurring the line between acceptable Christian worship and worldy rock bands myselfs.

LOLOLOLOLOL Thank you for the laugh. I needed that. Reading some of these posts reminds me of the people back when Elvis was just starting out. It is too funny. I am sorry but some of you must also be of the ones who believe that you will eat or not eat your way to be with Jesus.

I am not aware of any particular instrument or music style that is officially approved by God. Nor any that are specifically disapproved by God.

:like:

• Members

Personal preferences and experiences make a big difference. If someone had always experienced rock music within the context of rock concerts (which can be fun, but not always "kosher") or in other venues, such as using drugs or whatever, then that type of music isn't likely to be associated with reverence for God.

I like some of the newer music for church, but the only LOUD music I like for church are classical pieces (Bach, Handel, etc) and some of the old hymns, such as "For All the Saints" (that one was GREAT in the WWC church and Dr. Melvin West at the pipe organ really giving it the gusto!

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

• Administrators

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOL Thank you for the laugh. I needed that. Reading some of these posts reminds me of the people back when Elvis was just starting out. It is too funny. I am sorry but some of you must also be of the ones who believe that you will eat or not eat your way to be with Jesus.

to say there is no standard is to be without any discernment.

it says thou shalt not steal, but this also includes stealing others happiness, or reputation, or affections.

we live by faith, but a faith that opens our hearts to a life higher then our inclinations.

i never heard of eating your way to Jesus, but i have heard of doing all to the glory of God in whatever we do, in whatever we eat or drink. i cant drink a fifth of vodka to the glory of God, i have not learned how to do that yet. there are standards.

flower

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

to say there is no standard is to be without any discernment...

i never heard of eating your way to Jesus, but i have heard of doing all to the glory of God in whatever we do, in whatever we eat or drink. i cant drink a fifth of vodka to the glory of God, i have not learned how to do that yet. there are standards.

flower

Amen sister!

Quote:
Try Amazing Grace to the tune of Hound Dog or some heavy metal beat.

I have heard "Amazing Grace" sung to the tune of the "Theme from Gilligan's Island."

Don't know if it was good or evil, but it was certainly unforgettable.

Apparently there are 2 new "Fundamental Beliefs" being considered for inclusion in our Creed.

29. Every Adventist is a music critic. Even if you can't hold a tune or tell a sharp from a flat, if you never touched a keyboard or had a music lesson in your life, you are 100% qualified to lecture others about music.

30. If I don't like it, then God doesn't like it.

AJ

www.asrc.org.au

(Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)

Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each month

IMSLP/Petrucci Music Library

The Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music Downloads

Looking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!

thumbsupthumbsup

Graeme

Graeme

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________