ClubAdventist is back!

SS attendance

Gerr

• Moderators

We were visitors in another church today. It's a big church. By the 11 o'clock service it was full, but when the SS service started there was barely a dozen people there, and just a handful more 15 minutes later. That must be very discouraging to the SS superintendent. This is of great interest to me because I have just been elected to be the SS superintendent for this coming year. My question is - how can one make the program interesting enough so that people would like to come on time? Any suggestion for program matter?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerr

• cricket

• Woody

• Members

I don't know Gerry, not sure there's a solution. I for one prefer SS to church. Especially at the AUC college church that I used to attend when living in the area. They have an alternative class taught by Profs Trott and Davis, for those that don't want to follow the lesson. They choose a book to study and in between books a Bible book. Some people like this and some don't. But it seems that even the other classes are well attended also.

phkrause

By the decree enforcing the institution of the papacy in violation of the law of God, our nation will disconnect herself fully from righteousness. When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government, and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near. {5T 451.1}

I have just been elected to be the SS superintendent for this coming year. My question is - how can one make the program interesting enough so that people would like to come on time? Any suggestion for program matter?

1. How many members does your church have?

2. In your opinion, how open are the members to change?

Live for God . . . Love people

• Moderators

My home church SS is fairly well attended by the time the lesson study starts. It's the part of the program before the lesson that I'm most concerned about.

• Moderators

1. How many members does your church have?

2. In your opinion, how open are the members for change?

1. In the books, probably 70; regular attenders, around 55.

2. That's hard for me to say, but if this is any indication, it is located in what many consider "red neck" country. And I'm willing to experiment. Personally, I like variety. Sameness bores me.

My question is - how can one make the program interesting enough so that people would like to come on time? Any suggestion for program matter?

Discard that...SS study guide, and make your own program from scratch. Ask for the Lord's guidance, of course.

What is the purpose of that portion of the program?

Is that a purpose that people need to have filled?

What are the needs of the people?

• Moderators

Discard that...SS study guide, and make your own program from scratch. Ask for the Lord's guidance, of course.

You mean get rid of the quarterly entirely? I personally like the quarterly because it provides an orderly structure to what is covered over the course of the quarter. But I hate it when a teacher follows the exact format beginning with the Sab pm lesson going through each day and each question.

• Moderators

What is the purpose of that portion of the program?

Is that a purpose that people need to have filled?

What are the needs of the people?

I want it to be informative. But the bottom line, of course, is to enrich their spiritual lives and hopefully their walk with Christ. I believe this is something that everybody needs. How can I do that? What subjects? In what format?

Originally Posted By: RLH

You mean get rid of the quarterly entirely?

Yes. What the people need/want/crave, is substance.

I want it to be informative. But the bottom line, of course, is to enrich their spiritual lives and hopefully their walk with Christ. I believe this is something that everybody needs. How can I do that? What subjects? In what format?

It is my personal belief that people have varied spiritual lives. The needs of one person may be entirely different than the needs of another. The best approach, in my opinion, is to first consider the audience. What are their individual needs? How can those individual needs be met? Is it possible to meet those needs in a public setting? Is it possible to meet them on a broader scale? And further, is it feasible and reasonable to meet those needs on a broader scale?

It is likely that there will be individuals whose spiritual needs can never be met on a broad, universal, congregational level. For those individuals, no Sabbath School program will ever be suitable enough to draw their attendance.

Or, you could go through the book "Steps to Christ". Make notes, and have discussion on it. You could take a chapter of "The Great Controversy" and do the same thing.

• Moderators

Or, you could go through the book "Steps to Christ". Make notes, and have discussion on it. You could take a chapter of "The Great Controversy" and do the same thing.

We are going through the GC in our Wed pm prayer meeting now. I have less control over the lesson study than the program before it.

• Moderators
Yes, and I really appreciate everyone's responses. I hope others will give me more ideas.

Yes, and I really appreciate everyone's responses. I hope others will give me more ideas.

Some subjects that would seem to be relevant to the times we're living in such as last day events, Christ's second coming, discipleship, the book of Revelation, presented to the group that shows up after being informed you'd like to have each person pray for the Holy Spirit to lead out in the choice jointly arrived at, and then prayer as a group each time the group meets together, asking God to use the discussion for personal application, as each person would feel God was addressing the mutual discussion for personal benefit. Then give a specific amount of time to pass, short term or longer if preferred, that individuals might be invited to give testimony through praise or even complaint if nothing else, of how the individual has been blessed by the way God has moved in their lives after putting expectation into seeing his opening providences.

Claim promises for His working as one is made aware of them, such as:

"For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Luke 11:10 KJV

"For everyone who asks and keeps on asking receives; and he who seeks and keeps on seeking finds; and to him who knocks and keeps on knocking, the door shall be opened.Luke 11:10 AMP

"Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

John 16:24 KJV

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

• Administrators

we have a sharing time in our church after some singing, and a lot of people seem to want to come to listen and to share. this seems to really keep things centered in the members and keeps attendance up.

we have under 50 members and at times have more visitors members.

deb

Love awakens love.

Let God be true and every man a liar.

You may not like my suggestion as it is just my personal preference. And I do know there are not many Woody's out there. But here goes. My greatest joy is the study of the lesson quarterly . And there is NEVER enough time. So - my solution is to dump them "programs" and just let the members do ONLY the SS lesson study. PERIOD. End of story. And it makes it very easy.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.

Originally Posted By: RLH
Yes. What the people need/want/crave, is substance.

Ordain that man before he gets crucified.

What people crave for is conspiracy theories and fantasy. Well it does seem to be most popular among some SDA groups.

I believe in Hematology.

What people crave for is conspiracy theories and fantasy.

Well it does seem to be most popular among some SDA groups.

• Moderators

The Adult Bible Study guide is a great resource, but it's only a start. Like Woody, I get a lot of benefit from a well-led Sabbath School lesson study time. It is so much more participatory than a program where the audience sits and listens.

The trouble is that many SS teachers don't have guidance on how to direct a discussion class, and the members are not used to in-depth study. In visiting various churches I have come across a spectrum of lesson delivery, from reading the lesson to the class word for word, to allowing SS members to talk about their week for almost the entire lesson study time. This kind of "study" is not going to light a fire in our church members!

I have also attended classes that were wonderful, in-depth Bible studies, and I hated it when the class ended and it was time to go hear announcements.

I remember when our conference used to have annual Sabbath School meetings (sometimes weekend retreats) designed to give Sabbath School teachers at all levels tips and instruction for teaching. I know I used to gain a lot of benefit and encouragement from those meetings. I miss them.

LD

LD

Good Comments LynnDel.

In my view - the job of the SS lesson study teacher -

is to foster participation by those in attendance.

For sure it is not to provide a monologue of any kind.

In my SS class each and every person participates. I love the diversity and insights of each person. Now as you can imagine - I do not agree with each person. But I love to hear their sincere passion and devotion and insights.

I believe in Hematology.

• Moderators

You may not like my suggestion as it is just my personal preference. And I do know there are not many Woody's out there. But here goes. My greatest joy is the study of the lesson quarterly . And there is NEVER enough time. So - my solution is to dump them "programs" and just let the members do ONLY the SS lesson study. PERIOD. End of story. And it makes it very easy.

As it stands right now, we are supposed to have 50-55 minutes for lesson study. I am in total accord that the lesson study is the most important part of the SS program. In fact, it is the part I enjoy the most during the entire church service. I plan to make that study time sacrosanct. That is a major reason I accepted the position because too many times that study time has been violated previously. I am one of the SS teachers, and I hate it when after spending considerable time preparing the lesson, my time has been reduced to 30-35 minutes.