ClubAdventist is back!

Let's Talk about Drugs

David_McQueen

Following our previous conversation, what do you think should be the churches approach to drug education.

I personally feel that we have been found wanting in providing a balanced approach to those both within and without the Adventist community on this topic. With an increase in alcoholism, smoking and illegal drug taking, and according to the reports i have been reading the soaring consumption of methadone in North America, should we not have a global or otherwise programme to tackle this head on, both in terms of education, support and the provision of retreats?

Thoughts?

• Moderators

Cynically: the church is a middle class institution, and illegal drug addiction these days is more usually an underclass phenomenon. Do we know how to engage with drug users in meaningful ways that will help them change and make better choices? It requires a long-term engagement, not just a 5-Day Plan.

Less cynically: In the 5-Day Plans, Adventists have a huge and pretty successful history of drug rehabilitation experience and practice.

A related question: does our abstinence-only position on alcohol *use* hamstring us or help us in terms of helping those suffering from alcohol *abuse*?

Truth is important

I dont wish to isolate it as a subject on its own, and rather include it as a general approach to health for mind and spirit as well as body.

I have known a number of adventist youth who have attended certain colleges and have gone down the road of getting drunk, smoking weed, etc and it has not been addressed as a problem. I believe that while the church per se upholds a belief of abstinence that it should also provide a realistic approach to dealing with those who may not neccessarily share such a belief.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Bravus said:

Cynically: the church is a middle class institution, and illegal drug addiction these days is more usually an underclass phenomenon. Do we know how to engage with drug users in meaningful ways that will help them change and make better choices?

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Oh wrong... Not an underclass phenomenon at all. Let me give you some figures...

First of all, 1/8 of an ounce of weed costs (minimum)$50. That's the cheap stuff. 1/8 oz of the cheap stuff lasts the average pot-smoker around 48 hours. That's around $200 per week... unless you smoke a lot... or it's not very high quality stuff... and at $50 an 1/8, it's not high quality.

When I went to Walla Walla Valley Academy, fully 1/3 of the students (yes, me too) smoked "occasionally". Generally, attending an SDA school is so expensive it's not often one sees "underclass" attending.

I'm currently working towards a substance abuse counselor technician from the State of Alaska.... trust me... this is NOT an underclass phenomenon... at least not in Alaska.

Clio

A heart where He alone has first place.

• Moderators

The cost of using creates a need to start dealing.

I had a young black woman friend who was waiting for her boyfriend to finish serving his prison sentence so they could get married. They had both attended an Adventist academy together. She said to me, unashamedly, "Well, what else is there for a black kid to do after high school? He can't get a decent job, and the drug dealers are all around him tempting him to make big money dealing...."

They eventually did get married and I think are doing well now. She helped him find better employment....

[Please, David, don't take this as a racial bias on my part. It's just so prevalent in Southern California.]

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

No worries Jeannie, not taking it that way. That approach is common and is what many of my associate drug educators try to knock on the head. I am not sure that using starts dealing but I can imagine it does in many cases. Many users are too far gone to make deals and pursue other forms of crime to maintain their habit.

I truly believe though that our church can make some serious inroads if we faced this head on. Using unconventional approaches and straight talking to provide support and advice rather than pretending it doesnt happen.

Jesus knows.

the church is a middle class institution, and illegal drug addiction these days is more usually an underclass phenomenon.

I disagree with both of these statements. I grew up on the welfare dime and in the Adventist church. There are many like me. If you are not aware of any in your church that are on welfare, ask your pastor. He should know unless he is completely out of touch. The Adventist church bought me my first pair of new shoes when I was 14. As a child we only shopped in the second-hand store and I never had new clothing. For a time we didn't have a refrigerator. Many times we didn't have a car. Again, there are a lot like me even here in North America.

Drug abuse is not an underclass issue. It is an equal opportunity predator. In my 20 years in AA I have known politicians, doctors, small business owners, teachers, pharmacists, accountants, college professors and actors (yes I met Fred Grandy).

12 step programs do an excellent job with alcoholics and addicts. Where they are lacking is that they are not religious. That is good for us because that means they are not competing with us for members. Pastors and members should aquaint themselves with a local AA, NA or CA group and find out when they have "open" meetings. Open meetings are open to the general public. They should not hesitate to invite anyone they know struggling with a substance abuse issue to attend an open meeting with them. And of course, start Bible studies with the individual.

Any of you are welcome to join our 12 Step forum here and discuss any of these issues.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Moderators

Again, not gonna start an argument, but please note that I said the *church* is middle class, and I believe it is. I do know that many members are struggling with poverty, and didn't at all mean to dismiss them.

And I said *illegal* drug abuse: I agree, plenty of wealthy alcoholics, and even cocaine users, but the mass of crystal meth useres, for example, come from poorer and more urban areas.

I knew I was dealing in generalisations, so thanks for clarifying!

Truth is important

Please don't forget that 1/3 of our church is in Latin America, 1/3 is in Africa and that fastast growing churches in North America are the hispanic congregations.

Especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas time it is good for us share our blessings with our Adventist brothers and sisters that are less fortunate than we are. We try to make that a tradition in our home.

One of the interesting twists on the drug subject is how vocal many can be on the issues of drugs, tobacco and so called illegal drugs, yet be popping the prescription and over the counter drugs like there's no tomorrow.

For example, I remember mentioning to a youth group that too many women who I know take anadin and nurofen to cope with menstruation and yet aren't aware of the side effects of taking such action.

Presciption drugs are a major problem, and since insurance companies often pay for such drugs, the addicts do not have to suffer the same financial consequences as street drug addicts. Presciption drugs can actually be easier to get addicted to and easier to rationalize their abuse.

12 step programs also help these types of addicts too. If you know someone addicted to prescription drugs that wants help, don't be afraid to accompany them to an open NA (Narcartics Anonymous) meeting.

• Moderators

Re: " In the 5-Day Plans, Adventists have a huge and pretty successful history of drug rehabilitation experience and practice."

I don't think so.

I will be the first to say that the "5-day Plan" works well, but not perfectly, with tobacco. In itself, it is not used for illegal drugs.

The SDA Chruch once attempted a simular plan for people on illegal drugs. It failed to have the success rate that was achieved by the one for tobacco, and I don't think it is being attempted anymore. Simple put, I consider it to have been a failure, as was the one attempted for alcohol.

Gregory

Surely we could spearhead something though.

I am more than willing to share my experiences at conference level with those who are in the health departments, of how it has worked for other Christian organisations like teen challenge, hopeuk, etc.

I just think if we need to tap into our community this is surely one of the ways we can show love.

I think by directing those that need help to 12 step programs that are already established, we can direct our time in energy in other areas.

We can still help alcoholics and addicts. We help them by introducing them to 12 step organization. I do not mean we just dump these souls on other organizations. I say we let these organizations help them with their addictions while we nurish them spiritually.

Shane this is not a dig at you but is typical of the response I had from a couple of other people who I addressed about this. Why cant we do both? Especially for those who are skeptical of 12 step programmes?

There are a number of Christian organizations in the UK who have asked me to come and be part of their group but I would rather that we nurtured that skill base in house. Surely we can provide more health advice and support than just keep fit classes,no-smoking campaigns and vegetarian recipes?

• Moderators

Do you have a program protocol all worked out and ready to go, David?

How do you propose to have such a thing managed and financed? By a local church? By a conference?

Would you conduct a training course for other leaders of such programs? How much would it cost?

I'm interested.

(Though I have no authority to establish such a program, you understand.)

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

I do have a programme called VITAL!TY. It is basically a holistic educational programme which looks at both the mind, body and spirit application of health education. So rather than just focusing on the drug issue itself it starts on the spiritual basis of our bodies being the temple of the holy Ghost then addresses the mind and body aspect of drug education.

VITAL!TY is divided into an educational and training programme.

The educational programme is targeted at different age groups. For example for primary (elementary) school the information starts out about teaching children about medicines and their effects

For high school and college students it focuses on prescription, over the counter and illegal drugs. Focusing on drug use and abuse and their social, legal and spiritual effect.

For parents we address the prescription, over the counter and illegal drugs. Dealing with abuse and misuse and methods of intervention and support if they think there kids are taking drugs.

For the training programme I deliver sessions were people learn the information I give in the educational programmes, so they can deliver educational programmes as well. As well as updates on the latest research and trends in drug use and abuse.

Am currently liaising with both secular and Christian support groups in the UK who would work the churches in providing a mechanism of support and education in the local communities in London.

With regards to funding, an agreed honarium would be requested from each church to cover materials,direct expenses and follow up support. For now I prefer to deal directly with churches than the conference. A lot less red tape.

"Keep-fit classes" ??? Wow, I would like to be a member of a church with those. Now that is a great idea.

We could do both except that most would be working outside their specialty. You have heard the saying, "Shoemaker stick to thy last"? Most of the effective groups that treat addiction stay away from religious doctrine. That is because they need to focus on one thing. They need to have a singlness of purpose. Most organizations that try to treat addiction and be multi-purpose do not last for a long period of time. Alcoholics Anonymous has been around since 1936, nearly 80 years. They have never had internal controversy of any significant degree because they have only one focus - helping the suffering alcoholic. The same can be said of other 12 step groups.

The Adventist church has a distinct message. That is to carry the Three Angels' Message (3AM) to a dying world. Now that does include carrying it to addicts. However if we try to compete with 12 step groups it will come at the cost of not reaching as many as we could with the 3AM. We would have to allocate a large portion of our resources to treat addicts. Why would we want to do that when we can work in cooperation and not in competition with 12 step groups?

Most of the effective groups that treat addiction stay away from religious doctrine.

Let me expound on this a little. 12 step groups are "spiritual" not "religious". What is the difference? Religion has rules: pray, go to church, don't kill, don't steal, etc. Spirituality has vague principles: submission, kindness, forgivness, tolerance, etc.

12 step groups do not compete with religion. Let's take a look at thess quotes from the textbook "Alcoholics Anonymous"

We think it no concern of ours what religious bodies our members identify themselves with as individuals. This should be an entirely personal affair which each one decides for himself in the light of past associations, or his present choice. Not all of us join religious bodies, but most of us favor such memberships

Be quick to see where religous people are right. Make use of what they offer.

In the UK there is a Christian retreat called Yeldall. This is not a 12 step programme but is a Christian retreat that has existed for over fifty years.

Then there is Teen Challegnewhich has branches in many countries including the UK which is also a christian oriented support programme which does not subscribe

to the 12 step programme.

And Isaac International is another one which provides support in the UK.

My inspiration is Hope UK which address this problem and they too are not neccessarily followers of 12 step and this charity first started way back in the 1800s.

I say this to highlight that there are other Christian organisations who provide valuable support and education in this area as part of promoting the gospel. What they do add is the clarity that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost. It is one thing to talk about feeding the homeless and looking out for the down and out of the world but I don't see why we cant do this without diluting our message.

• Moderators

Re: "It is basically a holistic educational programme . . ."

What you have stated, is, as you have stated, an educational programe. As such, it looks good. I wish you well and success in it.

However, is working with people addicted to alcohol and drugs, they need more than an educational program. I will suggest (Shane, I will make an exception in a minute.) the level of training an experience required to work with such is more than can reasonably be expected from the typical congregation.

Now for a couple of exceptions:

1) A congregation could fund the help of ceertified counselors work with such addicts.

2) What Shane calls the "12-step" programs has clearly clearly demonstrated an effectiveness in working with addicts. However, they do not effectively work with every person. But, these programs, run by people who are addicts themselves, and lacking formal training, are demonstratably some of the best, and should be considered as part of an overall rehabilitation program.

Gregory

Which is why I specifically mentioned DRUG EDUCATION and then listed the support agencies, 12 step or other the churches can work with.

Education serves both a preventative and informative platform which is where I am coming from as currently there is none. THe counselling, support and treatment which follows this is in conjunction with Christian or secular agencies as mentioned in my post describing the programme.

Is that clearer?

I have attended Christian organizations for alcoholics. They are generally nice people but they have more than their share of controversy. The Oxford Group was a Christian group that existed before Alcoholics Anonymous and it failed due to such controversy. AA modeled its program after the Oxford group but did it in such a way that anyone from any religion could join.

The founders of AA believed a big reason the Oxford Group failed was because it did not have a single focus and got caught up in controvesry. Thus AA's Fifth Tradition reads, "Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers." and its Tenth Tradition says, "Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the AA name ought never be drawn into public controversy." When their General Service office is asked to respond to criticism it cites Tradition Ten by saying what others think of AA is an outside issue and thus they have no opinion on it. So you will never see AA defending itself, its members or its program.

Now AA's textbook admits that it doesn't work for everyone:

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

• Moderators

You were quite clear.

I was complementing you, and then going on with my personal thought on 12-step programs.

Gregory