ClubAdventist is back!

GC travel

whbae

During NY camp meeting, Mark Findley said the president of GC travels 2/3 of time throughout the world. It is amazing and I do not understand why he has to travel so much.

Many years ago, people's financial situation was not good, and people complained about GC staffs traveling so much, then the GC staffs cut down on traveling.

Now, in this digital age, we have instant devices such as instant video conferencing, e-mail, and others. I do not know if the works can not be done without the president's presence. What are the functions of local conference presidents? Someone maybe able to shed some light on the matter.

• Administrators
thumbsup

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

During NY camp meeting, Mark Findley said the president of GC travels 2/3 of time throughout the world. It is amazing and I do not understand why he has to travel so much.

Many years ago, people's financial situation was not good, and people complained about GC staffs traveling so much, then the GC staffs cut down on traveling.

Now, in this digital age, we have instant devices such as instant video conferencing, e-mail, and others. I do not know if the works can not be done without the president's presence. What are the functions of local conference presidents? Someone maybe able to shed some light on the matter.

This Club Adventist thread may help:

http://clubadventist.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/632201/Global_Adventist_Communicators.html

Live for God . . . Love people

It's the question of "have to" that boggles my mind. What's so important that it cannot be done over the phone, via e-mail, video conferencing, etc?

• Administrators

Trust me, there is also a whole lot of the use of phone, e-mail, and increasingly, video conferencing. Think in terms of the management idea noted above - MBWA. And think in terms of the size and scope of the workplace. MBWA is easy in a workplace that is essentially confined to a building or a campus, and the management has oversight responsibility for a few hundred workers within that building or campus. There is still great value in speaking face-to-face, see things with your own eyes and experiencing things in person. Every manager needs to get out of his personal office space and go where the action is, mingle with the workforce at the front line to best understand what middle management and supervisors are reporting to in all those phone calls and e-mails.

But consider that the scope of responsibility for General Conference leadership is global, covering hundreds of institutions, thousands of church workers, and really it also extends to the millions of church members. Much of the travel of GC leadership involves public meetings, preaching and training. It is not just managing the business of the church.

And the reach of many of those key meetings are extended by the technology and media of the Church, through published reports (print and digital media), video and audio recording and broadcast, (both live and rebroadcast). And many times through the media channels of the Church, like Hope Channel, these things are broadcast worldwide through the network of satellites used by Hope Channel.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

• Members

Leadership presence is very important; if it is real, authentic, etc. We don't need photo-ops. We don't need leaders on touristy business trips. We do need wise leadership; on the ground, advising, guiding, etc.

I recall a top-level politician visiting an area devastated by a tidal wave. The photo op at this tragic site was highly staged and added to the tragedy rather than helping.

• Moderators

Photo-ops. That's the part that bothers me, too. I can remember prior GC Presidents whose picture appeared in the ADVENTIST REVIEW only occasionally, and when it did I was immediately drawn to that news article. Now it seems to be commonplace.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

President Wilson needs to travel throughout the world in order to meet with political leaders to promote the church and religious freedom. These are hardly photo-ops and not the type of business that one conducts over a telephone call.

Remember Adventists Online?