ClubAdventist is back!

Combat In New Orleans

Dr. Shane

Troops begin combat operations in New Orleans

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and police helicopters filled the city sky Friday morning. Most had armed soldiers manning the doors. According to Petty Officer 3rd Class Jeremy Grishamn, a spokesman for the amphibious assault ship Bataan, the vessel kept its helicopters at sea Thursday night after several military helicopters reported being shot at from the ground.

Numerous soldiers also told Army Times that they have been shot at by armed civilians in New Orleans. Spokesmen for the Joint Task Force Headquarters at the Superdome were unaware of any servicemen being wounded in the streets, although one soldier is recovering from a gunshot wound sustained during a struggle with a civilian in the dome Wednesday night.

“I never thought that at a National Guardsman I would be shot at by other Americans,” said Spc. Philip Baccus of the 527th Engineer Battalion. “And I never thought I’d have to carry a rifle when on a hurricane relief mission. This is a disgrace.”

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

• Administrators

Shane,

It's a sad state of affairs, but it goes without saying that the majority of those who are still in the city are those who would have the most to loose if they are found and taken out.

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

I don't believe this. The majority of the people who were left behind in the city were those who could not make it out -- elderly, sick, infirm, etc. Yes, I know there have been some reports of "looting" but the majority of this has been hungry people "looting" grocery stores to obtain things with which to feed their families.

You know if it was a bunch of whiteys left behind this whole disgrace would never be happening. We would not have had sick people dying in the streets for nearly a week while the administration diddled around in their pants, hemmed and hawed and made stupid speeches. We would not have folks so desperate to survive that they felt they had to loot the stores. We would not have some bozo deciding that "combat operations" were necessary. This whole thing is so blatantly racist it makes me sick. These people got shafted because the fat, rich, aristocratic -- don't forget WHITE -- good ol' boys said "ahhh it's just a bunch of N-----s [black folks] so who cares."

I don't care if this post seems impolite. Come ON. You KNOW these people would NEVER have been tossed off for five days if they'd been white. You just KNOW it. Tell Phillip Baccus that's the REAL disgrace -- whether I'm right or wrong about the racist reasons behind it -- the REAL disgrace is the way these people were totally shafted and neglected for almost a week while they lay dying in the streets. And everyone knows it.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

Those that stayed behind thinking they could ride out the storm are not the problem. They are leaving on a boat or helicopter the first chance they get.

There is a criminal element that stayed behind so that they could loot the city after the storm. These are not the ones just taking food for their families. These are the ones that have been robbing jewelry stores, gun stores, liquor stores, etc. They are not just there by bad luck. They choose to stay there and they don't want to leave. These are the ones that are shooting at rescue workers and helicopters. It is terrible that rescue helicopters need a gunner at the door.

Americans shooting at their own National Guard has happened before. Such as in Detroit during the riots in 1967. Firemen were shot at, too.

I agree Shane, that is a real shame.

But the fact remains, when fat cats throw their weight around too much, respect for that weight decreases drastically. Not just among the criminal element but among regular citizens too. The criminal element are just the ones accustomed to pushing that envelope of self-expression farther than thought-provoking placards and peace marches.

"After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot

One would expect that when dealing with a riot or when the Guard is called in to be law enforcement in the absence of striking police.

The criminals in this city obviously have something they don't want to leave behind so they don't want to be rescued and made to leave the city. In the end, most of the stuff, like jewery and guns, that has been stolen is going to be left behind in the city when the criminals and gangs are forced out.

• Administrators

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Shane said:

Those that stayed behind thinking they could ride out the storm are not the problem. They are leaving on a boat or helicopter the first chance they get.

Shane,

I was not clear in my statement </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

, but it goes without saying that the majority of those who are still in the city are those who would have the most to loose if they are found and taken out.

I was not referring to the people who were trapped but to the criminal element who feel their future is best served staying in the city.

However, there are ordinary people who are still living in parts of the city who are putting their life together as best they can.

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God