ClubAdventist is back!

A Rapper's Opinion

Dr. Shane

Why do we care what entertainers think? Especially rappers?

Kanye West's Torrent of Criticism, Live on NBC

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family, it says, "They're looting." You see a white family, it says, "They're looking for food." And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. And even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I've tried to turn away from the TV because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what is the biggest amount I can give, and just to imagine if I was down there, and those are my people down there. So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help -- with the way America is set up to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way -- and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us!

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

George Bush doesn't care about black people!

A Homer Simpson moment:

The show was live on the East Coast with a several-second delay; someone with his finger on a button was keeping an ear peeled in case someone uttered an obscenity but did not realize that West had gone off-script, the spokeswoman said.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Dear person,

Unfortunatley, Kanye West was probably right. And he was also going to give a lot of money to the effort. Why is it that those who criticize Bush are considered to be anti-American?

Sincerely,

Mrs. Gray

(A Republican)

I do not see the President's critics as anti-American - although I know some do. However I think it wrong to use this disaster to stir the race pot. I see no good that comes from that.

What we have seen here is a failure of government on all levels. The failures started with the city's mayor. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is a Democrat. Then the failures continued with the state's Governor. Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco is also a Democrat. While President Bush (a Republican) did good by declaring the area a natural disaster two days before the storm hit. FEMA failed to respond quickly and Bush himself didn't react quickly to FEMA's failures.

So the politcal disaster is not partisan. If we are going to say Bush didn't respond because the people are black, we must also conclude that the black, Democrat mayor didn't evacuate them because they are black. The Democrat governor didn't send nearly enough National Guardsmen because the people are black. We start to go down a bipartisan-conspiracy-theory road.

I wonder if FEMA has also been slow to react in Florida but becuase the communies and state there are so well prepared, FEMA's errors never came to light.

We may see some Congressional hearings on this later. But then we may not either becuase not only will the Bush Administration not want dirty laundry exposed, the New Orleans mayor and Louisiana Governor will not be excited about everything being looked at either. A lot of mistakes were made by a lot of people in both political parties.

NBC censoring Kanye West is akin to CBS censoring the Smothers brothers TV show back in the late 1960s when they criticized the Vietnam War. Censorship of this kind comes from fear, and is far worse than the criticism. For related comments, see my post #186429.

seenoevil.gificon_smile_sick.gif

Not quite, Brother Anthony. NBC was trying to raise money for the hurricane victems. The reason they censored Kanye West isn't because they didn't want him to be able to voice his opinion (as ignorant as it is). It was because his goofy opinion was likely to make people watching get angry and thus not give any money. Since the whole purpose was to raise money, Kanye was being counterproductive.

• Administrators

It was because his goofy opinion was likely to make people watching get angry and thus not give any money. Since the whole purpose was to raise money, Kanye was being counterproductive

Shane,

Agreed!

I just don't see this as a race thing. Everyone made a lot of errors in judgement.

And, right, wrong, or indifferent, Kanye's remark was not appropriate at the time. When you are asking people for their money, you take a more moderate approach.

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

I read a study that said that a Teenager's PERCEPTION of closeness to their parents is factor in their involvement drugs, alcohol abuse ete. Perceptions can be just as important as realities.

Many black People PERCIEVE that George Bush does not care.

They FEEL the Republicans dont like blacks thats why 11% voted for Bush. Perceptions matter because they affect reality

Folks listen to entertainers because they feel they have something to say. They spend Billions of dollars a year to see and hear them. Why would they stop wanting to listen when it comes to politics.

NBC did not ask a politician to raise the money...they looked to entertainers...they have the pulling power...even Rappers!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

• Administrators

lazarus said:

NBC did not ask a politician to raise the money...they looked to entertainers...they have the pulling power...even Rappers!

True. OTOH, you don't have to be a politician to know that there are times to voice your opinion and times when you control your emotions until a more appropriate time, to "play the game" for the greater good.

Even a child knows that you win more often if you choose your battles and your playing field.

Naomi

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God