ClubAdventist is back!

Suggestions for a right picture of God

Taylor

I have some dear friends who have been badly wounded a couple of times in their lives, by "christians" who did not act in any way "christian". My friends have been able to get through that and are intelligent, resiliant, pleasant people to be around. However, they have had to go through another very painful experience which should not take place between Christians.

My questions is this:

Are there any books that you could recommend which would help them be rejuvinated, encouraged, showing them a correct picture of God? (A God who is our biggest fan club. A God who loves you no matter what, but loves you enough to not leave you there, a God who wants you in heaven even worse than you want to be there.....)

In theory, they "know" what God's character is like, but given enough pain, your sense can become warped. (I was thinking of some of Max Lucado's books for instance, or Phillip Yancy's book "The Jesus I Never Knew" but I am not sure what to suggest. I have never read Phillip's book and it has been quite a while since I've read Max Lucado's books to know what to suggest.) My friends love to read, so I believe this is one way that will bring healing to their souls.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Taylor

Hi Taylor, I'm glad you asked. I have been finding this picture of God in the Bible for the last 9 years. It is there in shining beauty. Some of us however have forgotten that God sent His Son, it's not hitting our hearts and we are not passionate about our Father and Jesus. We may like to discuss doctrine but our deep love is asleep. God is yearning for us to cry out to Him so He can give us the experience we all desire.

Now that I said that, here is the best thing that you're friends could do. Go to this website and download these free sermons by Ty Gibson. He echos a lot of what I have found and more.

http://lbm.org/store/information.php?info_id=6

There are 17 topics and trust me or find out for yourself if you listen to these searching for The God you discribed you will find Him. There are study guides along with verses to follow.

I would suggest these above all else at this time.

sincerely,

Norman

The unconditional pardon of sin never has been, and never will be. PP 522

Taylor;

I will pray. These things can really damage a person. Only God can heal that hurt through faith in Him and His Word.

The greatest want of the world is the want of men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true & honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty..., men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.{Ed 57.3}

Thanks Fran! You are right! The church is a hospital for saints and not a country club for sinners, but it is a pity when sometimes not only are wounds not attended to but they are made worse (or new ones are inflicted ) by others, who though perhaps well meaning, have been unchristian in their attitude.

• Moderators

Taylor, I've found the picture of a loving God in the writings of Graham Maxwell. He presents God as valuing nothing higher than our freedom--and being just as loving and approachable as is Jesus.

Two of his books I especially like: Servants or Friends? and Can God Be Trusted? . Both of them are available from Pineknoll Publications, 1345 Pine Knoll, Redlands, CA 92373. Or you can order by telephone (909) 798-8181.

Hope your friend will enjoy these books as well. They're very logical and thoughtful. I refer to my copies often.

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Quote:

Taylor said:

Are there any books that you could recommend which would help them be rejuvinated, encouraged, showing them a correct picture of God? Taylor

[:"red"] "

Jesus said to him, "I am...the truth,... no one comes to the Father but through Me." [/] John 14:6 NASB

[:"red"] ""But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth.... " [/]

John 16:13 NASB

Other than the Holy Bible (I compare many translations) and the aid of the Holy Spirit, I would suggest the Desire of Ages by Ellen White. It was written for the general public and reveals more about Jesus than any other book besides the Bible, that I have ever read.

[:"red"] "All things have been entrusted and delivered to Me by My Father; and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Son except the Father, and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son deliberately wills to make Him known. " [/] Matthew 11:27 AMP

[:"red"] "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. " [/] Jeremiah 29:13 NASB

DOVE.gif

May you find your search as exciting and encouraging as He.

Lift Jesus up!!