ClubAdventist is back!

consensus statement "on theology of ordination"

debbym

Quote:
“Seventh-day Adventists understand ordination, in a biblical sense, as the action of the church in publicly recognizing those whom the Lord has called and equipped for local and global church ministry.”

Quote:
“Seventh-day Adventists understand ordination, in a biblical sense, as the action of the church in publicly recognizing those whom the Lord has called and equipped for local and global church ministry.”

That calling must line up with the Word of God too.

Make it a great day!

g

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

• Administrators

That calling must line up with the Word of God too.

Make it a great day!

g

Like Phoebe, as recorded in the Word of God...

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

While all believers are called to use their spiritual gifts for ministry, the Scriptures identify certain specific leadership positions that were accompanied by the Church’s public endorsement for persons who meet the biblical qualifications (Num 11:16-17; Acts 6:1-6; 13:1-3; 14:23; 1 Tim 3:1-12; Titus 1:5-9).

And it should be our prayer that these words of God will be interpreted the way our fellow believers, who had confidence in the Spirit of Prophecy, did during her lifetime.

It is sad to see how many today feel there is a greater blessing when they understand these words of Scripture the way the Roman Catholic church has done for 1700-1800 years.

Are we still protestants?

It is interesting that Doug Bachelor is listed first among the five members of the committee who are against the ordination of women. When I joined the ministry back in 1958 I discovered that the most successful evangelist had been dismissed by that conference recently because he had been involved in a divorce.

In those days our leaders understood the Scriptures to mean that this was a good reason for dismissal. If this had been the case today Doug might not have been considered for the ministry nor ordination. According to his own story his first wife was the first one to join the church, but she is no longer his wife.

How convenient that in such a case you just exchange the interpretation of the Roman Catholic church for the old Adventist standards, and you become a fighter for Catholicism to cover up for your own mistakes.

A number of former conservative Adventists are now supporting these new notions. How long will they remain members of our church?

Calling Doug Batchelor a "fighter for Catholicism" (essentially a Jesuit) is a new low in liberal rhetoric.

Gerry Wagoner

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Calling Doug Batchelor a "fighter for Catholicism" (essentially a Jesuit) is a new low in liberal rhetoric.

Gerry Wagoner

What do you prefer to call it?

• Administrators

Originally Posted By: olger

What do you prefer to call it?

*perks up*

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Logical fallacies are common among many who are involved in discussions of this type these days. I see a poisoned well just above.

Johann,

One does not need a Catholic to interpret the scriptures for him or her. Those scriptures are plain.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Logical fallacies are common among many who are involved in discussions of this type these days. I see a poisoned well just above.

Johann,

One does not need a Catholic to interpret the scriptures for him or her. Those scriptures are plain.

Not so if you are a solid Seventh-day Adventist who is brought up studying the writings of Ellen G White and you have adjusted your understanding of Scripture the way she understood it.

Any poisoned well can corrupt your understanding and make you feel comfortable and clear in your own understanding.

In my youth we learned to understand and honor the Gift of Prophecy in the Seventh-day Adventist church. I am now 80 years old, and the Lord has been good to me. Why should I forsake Him now to follow some distortions?

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

Johann,

Not so if you are a solid Seventh-day Adventist who is brought up studying the writings of Ellen G White and you have adjusted your understanding of Scripture the way she understood it.

Any poisoned well can corrupt your understanding and make you feel comfortable and clear in your own understanding.

In my youth we learned to understand and honor the Gift of Prophecy in the Seventh-day Adventist church. I am now 80 years old, and the Lord has been good to me. Why should I forsake Him now to follow some distortions?

• Administrators

Sort of like poisoning the well by labeling the whole point as a logical fallacy so as to disqualify the real point made and to avoid addressing it on its own merits...

The consensus statement acknowledges that the "ordination" we practice is based more on tradition. Those who have actually studied the issue recognize where we got that tradition - it is pretty much a "catholic" tradition, in every sense of that word.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Whose well was Doug Batchelor trying to poison when he makes quite a point of it in his own biography that he was mixed up due to his both Jewish and Catholic background?

So when you agree with him about his problematic background that is poisoning a well in your book? Which one?

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Olger said:

Quote:
George E. Batchelor of course.

I do not understand how we came to talking about this person.

In any case, George E. Batchelor was born in 1920 and died in 2002.

He probably no longer needs our prayers.

In any case, we can celebrate his life and contribution to our lives.

Gregory