ClubAdventist is back!

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

cricket

• Moderators

This might sound a bit like a brag, but it's meant to be just a 'thank you' to God and to my beloved, who have together made me that way:

At the end of each course I teach here the students have to do a course evaluation survey. About half the questions pertain to the course content and the rest pertain to the teacher. The ones I always score highest on - often 5 out of 5 - is 'This instructor creates a climate of mutual respect in the classroom'.

Truth is important

Every time I hear the song I think of college. In a tech ed class we had to produce a 3-5 minute video with a small group. All members of the group had to appear in the video, and there were probably some other stipulations as well. The three in my group were all reluctant to appear on video (which would be shown in front of the class). So we discovered that all of us had various animal hand puppets. So we recorded a mock interview with the "diva" (a camel with really long eyelashes), and then made a "music video" with that song and all the puppets singing and dancing (the "sock it to me" section was hilarious, with the raccoon and hedgehog getting into a fight!). AT the end, we all popped out from behind the curtain and said, "The End" (thus fulfilling the requirement to appear on the video). It was so much fun and got a great response in class. The video is no more, but every time I hear the song, I think of the video.

I agree David, good song!

M

Respect is treating others as though they are competent, responsible human beings, which includes insisting that they do the same.

Like most of the important things in life, it is simple, but not at all easy.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Quote:

Christine Wall said:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Let's find out what it means to you:

Allowing people to be who they wish to be without sitting in judgement on the integrity of their choices, even if those choices are directly opposed to those we know we would make if we were in their place.

[:"red"] "Love..., is ever ready to believe the best of every person, Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking[/] 1 Cor 13:7,5 Amp

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!

Hi LH,

...you expressed : "Allowing people to be who they wish to be without sitting in judgement on the integrity of their choices, even if those choices are directly opposed to those we know we would make if we were in their place."

I have heard time and again this thought expressed by pious persons. These same pious persons do nothing to present by word of their own testimony to un-churched what a changed life in Christ is all about. The mission commission of Christ on his disciples is of no sense when we are not willing to be used to present the Good News about the Anointed One who wants to call all to repent from sinning. So he can change them from carnal into spiritual persons responding to the voice of God for living righteously.

I was blessed by you adding on this bible verse ""Love..., is ever ready to believe the best of every person, Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking 1 Cor 13:7,5 Amp"

Oh, that is such truth!

That verse is the epitome of what "RESPECT" is all about.

Thank you so much for posting it.

Turmeric

• Administrators

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Christine Wall said:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Let's find out what it means to you:

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

RESPECT is something earned!

LOL Calm down ... don't shoot yet! My reason for my statement is that while I believe we should all treat everyone as "{we}/you would be treated." Certainly this is how we should all strive to interact with our fellow humans everyday, in every way, to everyone. However, I believe one can treat others with kindness, honesty, etc, without necessarily "respecting" them. If anothers actions, character, etc. do not reflect good ethics and values (not that their name is on someone's church book) they do not deserve respect.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

• Moderators

My friend Malcolm X said "Respect me, or put me to death."

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Quote:

Turmeric said:

Hi LH,

...you expressed : "Allowing people to be who they wish to be without sitting in judgement on the integrity of their choices, even if those choices are directly opposed to those we know we would make if we were in their place."

****I have heard time and again this thought expressed by pious persons. These same pious persons do nothing to present by word of their own testimony to un-churched what a changed life in Christ is all about.**** ###The mission commission of Christ on his disciples is of no sense when we are not willing to be used to present the Good News about the Anointed One who wants to call all to repent from sinning.###

It does my heart good to have someone express appreciation

about the written Word, for I know they have heard the voice of God through His Holy Spirit. Thus God receives the glory, which is where it should be.

Re: **** I looked up the word pious, and since it had a few different meanings, almost diametrically opposed , I'm wondering which one you meant.

Pious: marked by sham or hypocrisy;

Pious: showing loyal reverence for a person or thing

Re: ### Christians often do not spread the Word so much as they share their opinions of what they think the Word means. For the most part I do not see that as spreading the gospel, for their are "many false Christs who have gone out into the world".

We are asked of Christ to give our personal testimony as to what great things He has done for us, which would be sharing the gospel of salvation. We are never, that I am aware of, told to interpret the Word for others.

[:"red"] "The king said to Daniel (also known as Belteshazzar), "Is this true? Can you tell me what my dream was and what it means?"

Daniel replied, "There are no wise men, enchanters, magicians, or fortune-tellers who can tell the king such things.

But there is a God in heaven who reveals secrets, and he has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in the future. Now I will tell you your dream and the visions you saw as you lay on your bed.

"While Your Majesty was sleeping, you dreamed about coming events. The revealer of mysteries has shown you what is going to happen.

And it is not because I am wiser than any living person that I know the secret of your dream, but because God wanted you to understand what you were thinking about." [/] Daniel 2:26-30 NLT

[:"red"] "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." [/] Matthew 24:24 KJV

[:"red"] "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world." [/] 1 John 4:1 KJV

DOVE.gif

Blessings!

Lift Jesus up!!

Hi LH,

As the Bible interpretates itself, I hope to better understand you as you write more to see how you interpret your own self after you've written something.

Pious is a word I use to refer to religious minded people who are devoted to what they believe.They have a sort of santified aura about them. There are truly born-again believers who are truly pious in reverence to God. And there are those who are religiously pious though having a wrong doctrinal foundation or understanding of the will of God.

I am always delighted with your posts how in your piousness you uplift scripture and don't let just your opinion have pre-eminence.

As you wrote "Allowing people to be who they wish to be without sitting in judgement on the integrity of their choices, even if those choices are directly opposed to those we know we would make if we were in their place" my mind was challenged in sizing up the Great Commission. I went a mental step to visualizing pious ones not making a direct effort to lead someone to Christ and His conditions of what Salvation is in Good News because those pious ones believe it would be disrespectful to try to change the way of thinking of those other people doing choices contrary to God's will.

I was just reacting to your statement with wondering about our strategie of witnessing in lieu of what you wrote as how to respect the choices (sinful in this case) of non-worshippers.

Turmeric

Quote:

Turmeric said:

I was just reacting to your statement with wondering about our strategie of witnessing in lieu of what you wrote as how to respect the choices (sinful in this case) of non-worshippers.

Turmeric

Thank you for your kind words, Turmeric, though I only see myself as submitting to what our Lord feels is necessary to change a reprobate's wicked heart.

Because my personal experience has been unique before our Father, I have no doubt not all are led to serve for fulfillment in the same way.

Perhaps this Scripture might be most indicative of my own personal sense of need in the case of spreading the gospel and fulfilling the great commission.

[:"red"] "A farmer went out to plant some seed. As he scattered it across his field, some seed fell on a footpath, where it was stepped on, and the birds came and ate it. Other seed fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. This seed began to grow, but soon it withered and died for lack of moisture. Other seed fell among thorns that shot up and choked out the tender blades. Still other seed fell on fertile soil. This seed grew and produced a crop one hundred times as much as had been planted. His disciples asked him what the story meant. He replied, "You have been permitted to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of God. But I am using these stories to conceal everything about it from outsiders, so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled:

`They see what I do,

but they don't really see;

they hear what I say,

but they don't understand.'

"This is the meaning of the story: The seed is God's message. The seed that fell on the hard path represents those who hear the message, but then the Devil comes and steals it away and prevents them from believing and being saved. The rocky soil represents those who hear the message with joy. But like young plants in such soil, their roots don't go very deep. They believe for a while, but they wilt when the hot winds of testing blow. The thorny ground represents those who hear and accept the message, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the cares and riches and pleasures of this life. And so they never grow into maturity. But the good soil represents honest, good-hearted people who hear God's message, cling to it, and steadily produce a huge harvest." [/] Luke 8:5-15 NLT

DOVE.gif

Blessings!

Lift Jesus up!!

Respect is something "new" to me. For such a long time I've always felt that respect was something earned; something that the receiver earned through deeds and actions.

Lately, I've been reading several books on the way husbands and wives need to be loved. The one thing that keeps coming back to me is that husbands (men) need to be respected in order to feel loved.

This concept made me irritable and angry. I thought, "Respected! Why, respect must be earned! Not given freely!"

My understanding was not complete, however. I was connotating admiration with the word respect.

The books do not say that men must be "admired" to feel loved. They say that men must be "respected" to feel loved.

Respecting another, then, means that he/she is allowed to make choices and isn't questioned for those choices; he/she is allowed to make mistakes, or to excel in the choice. Most importantly, he/she is to be trusted that they are making the best decision that they know how.

Quote:

Christine Wall said:

Most importantly, he/she is to be trusted that they are making the best decision that they know how.

Bingo! icon_salut.gif

While I do not personally know of anyone who would cut off their nose to spite their face, knowing the diversity of men's/women's characters, no doubt there are some who would do that. However I would suggest for the most part, people will do what they think is best for themselves in any given circumstance. It makes it easier to forgive if others can be seen as in error unavoidably, rather than with purposeful wickedness.

[:"red"] "Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person" [/] 1 Corinthians 13:7 AMP

[:"red"] "Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots." [/] Luke 23:34

DOVE.gif

Lift Jesus up!!